Severe Stoma Bleeding and Pain: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Past Member

Does anybody have severe pain and blood/plasma leaking from their stoma?

Lily17

Hi, Depain

I haven't had your experience, however, I strongly recommend seeing your ostomy surgeon and/or an ostomy nurse (WOCN), as soon as possible. Any abnormal pain, especially with bleeding, should not go unchecked.

Let us know what is determined. Your experience could help others on this site who may be dealing with this same issue.

Be well

Lily17

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,543 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Depain.

You ask a very simple question, which therefore,  deserves a simple answer: 'Yes!' 

However, I suspect that there is much more concerning you, besides whether other people are having the same sorts of problems. Pain and bleeding from stomas is not an uncommon thing, but that is not to say that it should  not be taken seriously. There are many and varied reasons why it might happen and how often. It is always useful to have it checked out by a medic so that you can be reasonably sure that it is not a symptom of something serious and in need of treatment. The reasons for my own (intermittent) symptoms have been easily identified and often just as easily rectified. I therefore do not feel the need to involve the medical services each time it happens.

Most of my pain is caused by the build-up of pressure, as I have a peristomal hernia, which causes blockages. Bleeding can be from the outside or the inside of the stoma and is usually caused by something I have done to catch/scratch the surface. It usually heals up fairly quickly, until the next time so, I don't tend to bother getting someone else to look at it. However, I would not hesitate to have it looked into if I could not identify the cause and satisfy myself that it was not too serious.

I find that the most concerning aspect regarding things relating to stoma problems is the anxiety it provokes. Once this is under control, I carry on with life as (relatively) 'normal'.  

I hope that this brief reply is helpful to you.

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member

Thank you, Lily. I've been in touch with the gastro and also the stoma nurse. They're drawing a blank, and the nurse is asking other nurses around the country if they have any patients with similar issues. Apparently, the bowel does not have nerve endings. BS! What about ulcerative colitis and Crohn's? I suspect an ulcerated bowel as I presented a picture of a bubble to the gastro, which the nurse has since shown is an ulcer. Hoping my doctor calls me back on Monday, and we can move forward with this. The gastro sent me for a CT scan looking for a hernia, denied that my picture was skin, and just a bit of fecal matter on my stoma. Grrr...

Lily17

Depain,

Continue being persistent until a correct diagnosis is determined and treated!  Be "a pain" until the pain is properly resolved.  Yes, get ahold of your surgeon ASAP!  Hopefully, the CT scan will indicate the issue, or rule something out.  Diagnostics and proper physical examinations are necessary.  Don't let any physician put you off.  As you already know, pain is an indication that there's a problem.  Again, be PERSISTENT.

Lily17

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lovely

Sorry, you are having such pain. Are your bowels working well? Best wishes and stay safe.

Immarsh

Hi DePain, listen to what Lily and others have posted. In a healthy stoma, there is generally no pain, even when it's scratched. That's why it's important to wash and inspect it each time you change. But the stoma is also the entrance to what's left of your bowel, so it would take a doctor, x-rays/a scan or exam, to determine if there is something in the remaining bowel causing the problem. That could be any sort of ailment that affects the bowel. It can also be foods that cut or irritate or become embedded in the bowel. Shortly after returning home from the hospital after surgery, I had severe stomach pains that scared both me and my mother. My dr. was in NYC and I was in Brooklyn. We took the train...the dr/surgeon palpated my belly and found a bulge. With a little probing, my stoma exploded...and there were poppy seeds on the ceiling and all over his office. I had baked (poppy seed pastries) with friends a few days before and didn't realize that eating them would cause a problem. Never did that again. But it's important to see a doctor until you get a solution.

Best of luck... Marsha