Meet and Greet

In this discussion
Replies
Views
miyzy

Hello all you lovelies. I say let's try to make this work. Surely, a jamboree with all our wonderful minds together. I'm sure this plan for us all to meet is doable. A big camping ground. I mean, it would take some time to plan it. Do we have any volunteers to discuss this and plan it? Gus, you were a driver. We must have someone with travel experience. Someone retired with time on their hands would make a great project. We could plan for next summer, bring our families. Get Hollister Convectec to put up a tent, show us new items. It would be great business for them. Clothing, great advertising for our cause. Let people know we're here. Maybe I'm just crazy. Maybe for once, I would like to be around people like me for a change. Exchange funny stories, something like stand-up comedy. I bet we'd be good at it. Just a thought.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE

I'm game!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Lobster

Yeah, count me in. I have a credit card with a f### off limit, so the whole world is available to me...

lottagelady

Game without the funds but can always save if given enough notice! xx

Lobster

Save? What's that when it's at home?

I'm just going to run up a huge debt and rely on me becoming nbsp; nbsp;'too big to fail' and being bailed out by the government and then paying myself a huge bonus for not making the overdraft any bigger even though by paying myself a huge bonus will make the overdraft bigger. It's all legal and above board as well.

Isn't capitalism great, I ###king love it.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Gus

Well, I reckon I could talk the Mrs. into saving for it. Maybe she would wanna come along. All I need to know is where it will be and who wants to meet lil ole me hehehe.

lottagelady

Save? What's that when it's at home?

I'm just going to run up a huge debt and rely on me becoming 'too big to fail' and being bailed out by the government and then paying myself a huge bonus for not making the overdraft any bigger even though by paying myself a huge bonus will make the overdraft bigger. It's all legal and above board as well.

Isn't capitalism great, I fucking love it        

Ummm.... want to be my financial advisor then? You would have to do it for nowt mind! Since I've been unable to work now have no means of running up a huge debt anymore... grrrrrrrrrrr xx
WOUNDED DOE

Oh yeah, that's right... it takes money... what's that?
I've got TONS of Monopoly money! ...wonder how far that will go...
If I have enough time, I might be able to figure something out, depending on where the meet-up is... wanna start meeting my friends!! Hugs

~Your Doe

Past Member

We should call it a family reunion. May need a year or two to plan.
Except this girl can't camp. Y'all can camp? Really? Must be nice!

My pouch has allowed me to do many things. But this short gut syndrome girl can't walk in the dark, drunk trying to empty her pouch in the woods! Haha!

lottagelady

I'm with you there - camping isn't the ideal thing for a lot of us - I, for one, would require a proper bed and en-suite facilities! xx

vulcanBMk2
I have the greatest respect and admiration for all the people who post on these forums and I occasionally reply to. We have all been through a lot, or are still on that journey.

However, I can't think of anything more boring than meeting ostomates en masse. I used to have a work colleague who also had a urostomy. We probably mentioned it, maybe, once a month. We didn't let the world revolve around our incapacity.

You want to go to an airshow? No problem, I'm with you. 4x4 off-roading, visit a museum, go watch a rock band? I'm with you!

Want to meet a lot of other ostomates? Not for me, thanks. I've got other things to do, need to get on.

Meet ostomates! No problem, via my keyboard over the ether.

But that's as far as it goes... No disrespect... Not for me, thanks!!
Past Member

I feel ya. I don't even go to the UOAA conferences. Hell, I haven't seen my own family in 2 years, so that would take priority.
But if anyone is in NC, look me up. I'll hang out with you.

Gus

And here I was hoping to wear my dad's cravat and hunting jacket and rub shoulders with the Vulcan. Now you just blew those plans out of the water. Tsk tsk, the horror of it all. LOL.

PS Oh, I do respect your reasoning. I'm just wondering who I'll drink with now?

And for the non-camping drunken poo bag emptying, I could use my Aussie ingenuity and work something out, so camping could be in for all of you. But I did enough of that in the army. A hotel sounds good though. LOL.
WOUNDED DOE

I don't have much intestine left in me either...but I'm a little Pagan girl, what can I say? Lol, my needs don't stop me from doing anything, my needs to be in nature far outweigh my ostomy needs.....but that's just me. I love camping and hiking around in the forest and swimming in lakes and rivers...but I like doing lots of other things too. BUT...not everyone has the same idea of fun, and that's cool...not everyone likes to do the same stuff....that's okay.

I was just telling one of my friends how anxious I am to have green grass to lay on again down by my fire pit so I can fall asleep under the stars with a saggy toasted marshmallow hanging off my stick. Lol, warm nights....and floating in my kayak.....O'boy, I cannot wait!! ........as for Meet and Greet....this is new to me, as most of you know I've been the mouse hiding in the shadows and little miss anti-social to a very unhealthy degree....Hell, look how long it's taken me to hook up with other ostomates!! I've had my ostomy almost 34 years and this site has brought me connections I've NEVER had with other ostomates!

I love my friends so much and have really bonded with a few....and there is one who has really inspired me to become social, in fact, that particular friend is straightening my butt out in many ways and setting me on a much better track in life......I don't want to back up with progress, don't want to 'run away' anymore...no more hiding.

Well, if we get a chance to meet one day, that will be very nice, and maybe it will be somewhere that is convenient and comfortable for everyone...

~Love from your Doe

Gus
Yanno Doe, sleeping under the stars and kayaking (after falling in many times till night) sounds ideal. Wish I could experience that without the bloody ants and spiders we have here. Anyway, I too would love to meet some of our friends, just where would we hold it? Tuscany, Spain?, Gibraltar?? Hawaii, my backyard??? lol/

Oh and little mouse, you have to come along. I really want to meet you,
Past Member
Hi gang

I figured I would jump in here and put in my two cents. Hence, I haven't been camping since my Delaware Watergap days 20 years ago, and must admit it was fun and would try it again, and I live in New York City for God's sake. I do remember an episode on the TV series MASH where the families chose a hotel and their families met to get to know one another. Maybe we can try something like that in some neutral city that is close and all can attend. It might be fun and I can finally meet some of my ostomate friends that I met on this site over the years.
Past Member

I'm game too!

WOUNDED DOE

Yay!! We're getting some fun campers together!! Whoo hoo!!

Gus

Ok, what about somewhere neutral, like on the border of Canada and the US??

Lobster

Switzerland is the most neutral, oh sorry...

US/Canada border sounds good. Will the tents all be en suite?
Gus

Of course, the will lobster, his and hers buckets lmao

vulcanBMk2
Hey Gus... No probs... If I ever fetch up on "S'tralian" shores, I would deffo seek you out, share a few Schooners with you...

I don't mind a small social gathering or a one-to-one... It's just people en masse I have a problem with.

Yep, I go to Airshows with 150,000 other people, but I get "My Space," get my food, drink, and camera organized... That's me organized. "My Space" is never far from a public toilet block... lol.

My Mrs may take an hour supermarket shopping... I can do the same job in 10 mins... I just don't need all those people... Heck! Some of them may have ostomies and want to engage me in conversation... lol

Oh yeah, believe it or not, I still do have my Dad's old cravat.
vulcanBMk2

Lobster!!---I have a stepdaughter who lives and works in Switzerland... Great place. We used to visit a couple of times a year. Not so much now due to my incapacity and my partner is 10 years older than me and doesn't enjoy the best of health......

miyzy
Bobby, thank you. A motel is just as great. If we put our ideas together, I'm sure we could come up with something. We need a coordinator. Anyone up for the job? I think it would be a blast.
WOUNDED DOE

I'm just sittin' here giggling .... ya'all are so damned cute lol I love you all, I truly do ... but this little Doe is gonna be somewhere in the woods under the outstretched limbs of the trees making a bed in the leaves and peeing in the ferns ... don't have a tent anymore but I don't care...I'll use a sleeping bag if it's chilly...but there is nothing like staring up at the moon 'n the stars through the branches in the dead of night .....aaahhhhhh yesssssssssssss ;:* gonna go howl with the wolves lmao

~Doe

gutenberg
Miyzy my friend, it almost breaks my heart to talk of this, but before I ran into all my troubles my brothers and me would drive up to Bathurst, sometimes we'd shoot into Moncton and other times take the shore route just for the scenery. When we hit Bathurst we took The resource road about 30 miles to my brothers camp, it was always a blast, since I went through 4 operations I tried it once, I thought I was going to die, nothing to do with the ostomy, this is a spinal problem that put kibosh to that fun, and another real piss off is when we leave Bathurst we drive right by the Airport but getting to and from airports would be just as long a trip, just can't win for losing. Keep up with the ideas girl, at least we can always dream about them. Ed.
PS: I'm trying to find a picture of me and some of my brothers at the camp, will post if I can find them.
weewee

You know, there are also special flights to Vegas that aren't that expensive for those in the states. Lots of sites to see there also. But I also like camping and the fishing thing. Hmmm, really like fishing and camping. Maybe we have to just do it in spurts so everyone can meet and have fun. It would be nice to see things I haven't seen before.

beatrice
I bet you would! Me -- my camping days are over (even before the ostomy), but a motel/cheap hotel is fine with me.

Maybe camping with a motel nearby for us 'tenderfoots'?

Did any of you fall in love with Vancouver, B.C., Canada after watching some of the Winter Olympics? It's a gorgeous city with lots to see and do -- and lots of washrooms and friendly people!

Camping needs planning and sometimes pre-booking sites as it gets busy from late spring to autumn. Motels/hotels can be a bit spendy.
WOUNDED DOE

OMG Beatrice, are you ever right! Talking about falling in love with Vancouver, B.C. Canada!!!! What a beautiful place! I actually have a relative there, will have to hunt her down some day.

beatrice

And don't forget you have an osty-friend here too!