Disappointing Colo Barrier Experience - Need Advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi guys,

So... my Colo samples finally came. Oh goodie! So this morning I was like a kid on Christmas morning (not)... but hoping to give the Colo sample barrier/ring/bag a try. First thing I noticed is I didn't like the bag closure system. Fold over and Velcro... no clip. But okay, maybe it's time for a change. So I did my thing, got all prepped, applied the Cavilon... made sure it was good and dry... and popped on the Colo barrier with the ring already on it. I liked the ring... bigger than the Hollister, and white instead of tan. So on it went... all seemed good. I held it in place for the full 2 minutes like the microscopic print directions said to do... and was then going to slap on the click-bag... but I suddenly noticed I had NO adhesion between the semi-firm outer barrier plastic material and my skin. None. If you've ever had a similar experience with something like this not working... you know the quick wave of panic that sets in. That quickly turned to a LOT of cussing. So much so that the poor pooch just slinked out of the kitchen to go lay on the bed in peace and quiet.

Okay, we got this... on to Plan B... back to my Hollister stuff. I was working against the clock at this point because on an empty stomach I output bile every hour religiously, until I eat something. And in the middle of a barrier change that makes quite a mess. So with 45 minutes of that hour gone I had to work fast. I had planned to cut a Hollister barrier and have it ready to go just in case, but didn't want to waste a barrier and was confident the Colo stuff would work. Bad assumption on my part. Hmmm... I say that a lot, don't I? Okay, mental note made.

So I pulled out a Holly barrier and ring, did the quick cut to fit with my template... and then had to remove the Colo barrier. Hmmm... okay... the outer semi-rigid plastic part of the barrier had no adhesion... but the inner white ring was sticking like hell! Not having a lot of time to dick with it... I just gave it the ol' he-ho and off she came. Unfortunately, in doing so it stuck so well that it shredded my stoma. I just stood there as the blood flowed down my abdomen into the sink. What a pretty color red! And so much!! The old 'stuck pig' reference instantly came to mind. When they say the bowel is literally full of blood vessels... they ain't shittin'! So there I was... leaning over my kitchen sink... waiting for a neighbor walking her dog to look and see me standing in the kitchen window with my nose pressed to the glass... wondering what the hell THAT weirdo was doing. And I'm thinking... oh, great... I'm gonna bleed out in front of my kitchen sink... I wonder if the investigators will be able to figure out how I died. Maybe I should just leave a note. Or... I could write it in blood, like those old murder mystery victims did back when TV was black and white. Okay, no... that's just gonna be more of a mess to clean up in a few minutes when this damn bleeding stops. Luckily I clot really well. Three cheers for platelets! Woo hoo!

Okay, so I got all the bleeding stopped... felt good to get some of that old blood out of me... although I'm not crazy about losing weight. Anyway... I did another round of Cavilon... which I'm really not that impressed with. I know a LOT of you guys love it... but it's just not crazy about me. And to be fair my skin is pretty f ^kjed up... so maybe not a fair fight for the Cavilon. Although it does say it can handle it on the label. Whatever... I reapplied and stuck my old Holly barrier and ring on... and hung my head in shame as I popped some motility meds and sit here typing this... while I'm waiting for them to do their thing. It's tough on the ego to get beat by a piece of Chinese plastic in your own home. UGH! NO... you cannot see the video!!

Now to be fair to all the Colo product fans out there... this might not have been a fair fight. The skin around my stoma is a slight bulge, not perfectly flat... so the 5 or 6 fingered barrier they make (Sensura Mio? or whatever) would have been a better choice to send me... IMHO. But I explained all this to the Colo dude on the phone... and he said he knew what to send. I'll be chatting with that nice sample sender on the tele on Monday about it. But when I touched the removed barrier underside (where the adhesive is) I didn't feel any stickiness whatsoever. And when I was holding it in place I could see it was bulging in places from not really matching the skin contour... there's no way it could... it was too rigid and flat to match the slight bulge. And that plastic doesn't "give" any. This is where the Holly bandage type really excels... it can match any skin contour, unlike the Colo plastic. What were they thinking? No, what was I thinking??

Anyway... round one goes to my skin and the challenger has been relegated to the round file. For now. Poor bastard didn't have a chance. NEEEEEXT!

Hey, enough about me... I hope you guys all have a great 4th of July weekend (here in the States). And to all my British friends... no hard feelings! We still love ya!

Later gang,

;0)

Bob

TO BE CONTINUED!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

patrickrichardson1946

Hi Bob, that was pretty rough, hope it works out okay mate and with your spirit I am sure it will. Best wishes, Patrick.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mild_mannered_super_hero

Hey Bob, sorry to hear you are still having trouble. Years ago, I tried the Cavilon Skin Prep and had similar results... it just didn't work at all for my skin type. I believe the preps I used were Coloplast; they were in a blue foil packet. You might consider trying those. I'm gonna ask a dumb question: do you use soap to clean your site? You might consider using yellow Dial soap; it's antibacterial and it leaves absolutely no residue. I had such good luck with it back when I wore a pouch. You might want to keep in the back of your mind that sometimes the combination of products you use for success makes absolutely no sense... logic doesn't always work in this circumstance... you just have to try EVERYTHING. Good luck and happy Independence Day.

w30bob

Hi mmsh,

I normally don't use any soap, as I don't want to irritate the skin any more than it already is.   But I will pick up a bar and give it a whirl.   I mean, why not?   There is a combo of stuff that's gonna work for me..........I just have to find it.    

Hmmm..........it's just like online dating. So many pretty faces, but so few that have the goods to back it up.   Wow........I hope this whole ostomy barrier thing goes better than online dating!!!!    

Thanks for the tip Bro......it's on my list for Walmart later!   Will let you know how it works.    

;0)

Bob

w30bob

Thanks Patrick!  We'll Git R Done!!

;0)

Bob

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Deziner

Hi Bob

About your skin.... I highly recommend you use Saran Wrap next to your skin. Don't know much about today's products. When my skin was in horrible shape, I'd use the Saran Wrap (without any healing powders or protective barriers). I'd place the ring/bag directly on the Saran Wrap. I could see the healing process. When I removed the entire appliance, the skin wasn't affected; the Wrap lifted up without injuring the skin. In your situation, I'd wear a 1" or so belt and hook it up to the ring.
It works, Bob.
Also, is there any way you could have a catheter placed in your stoma to allow the skin to heal? When you're having a situation of the VERY raw/red skin and especially when bleeding, go to the ER. They could do this and MAY admit you so you can continue without an appliance.
You know this....but taking it off and on so much can further damage your raw ostomy skin or permanently damage it.
Enough said...Sharon

iMacG5

So sorry it went that way, Bob, but great recovery on your part.  Please don't be so articulate because I felt your entire painful episode.  

I'm really looking forward to you figuring this out for my own education.  Hope your next try ends better.

Mike

Casper9

Hey Bob,

Sorry you are having so much trouble. Whenever my skin gets red and weepy, I use a hydrocolloid dressing like Duoderm Extra Thin. It covers and sticks well and helps to heal the skin. It can be cut into any shape you need. My flange and paste stick well to it since it's kind of a "second skin". I'm in Canada but I assume you can get it or something like it in the US. If not, let me know and I will send you some.

Casper

Tangleloft 06

Hey Bob,

I assume you are referring to Coloplast. I have used them since 2012. The Mio, if that is what you really got, is very soft and sort of contours. No, not like tape, but good. I have never had a problem with one side not being sticky. Soon after I had my hernia and prolapse repair a year and a half ago, I started to get leaking, so needed to change to their convex barrier. I went from out too far, to where the heck did you go. Tried different combinations. Now using all Coloplast products, barrier, pouch, ring, and wipes.

As for soap, I use Yardley Oatmeal and rinse very well. No feeling of slippery skin.

I did not want to go to other brands because the only size pouches they have are 12" and much too long, plus the Mio pouches material is much nicer to work with and wear. I am also a fan of the Velcro. Eliminates dropping the clamp in a public restroom where you barely want to walk and go home with the same shoes.

Anyhow, let me know if any of this helps.

Elaine

sooziq

Wow, I use Coloplast Mio deep convex and it sticks well. I have never had one with no stickum. Maybe you got a dud? Sorry. Glad your skin survived!

Superme

Bob, that really sucks! You are a real trooper! Like you, I got all excited when I got my Mio samples. I tried two samples. One with barrier strips and one without. Unfortunately, both leaked after two days. The only thing I liked in the sample bag was the Brava adhesive remover. It does a good job of removing the adhesive (it's like a dry adhesive remover) and it doesn't sting. For me, the Convatec two-piece system and Eakin seals work the best.

Yancey

I read somewhere a while back to put calamine lotion on broken skin, let it dry, then put your wafer on. Hope it helps!!

Deziner

Hi Elaine,
 I've been taking notes and writing to Bob. I read your letter to him. It appears I'll have a regular ileostomy. Currently, I have a continent ileostomy, also known as a Koch Pouch; I have had it for over 40 years. Before that, I had a regular ileostomy since age 16. Now I may go back to having a typical ileostomy. 
When I read your letter, I took notes about products you have been successful with. Also, when you wrote about having an inch and now lower (or something like that). Were you referring to your small intestine?? I've had 2 ostomy surgeries. With both, my stomas are/were even with my outer flesh. 
As I read about others' stomas, they have a portion of the small intestine extending out, making it a 3D stoma. I used to leak a bit after about 5 days when I adhered the former appliance. In those days, everything was 2-piece. 
Like you, I began using a convex ring as well. Because the appliances were heavy (made of rubber and not disposable), I wore a 1" belt that hooked in the ring. Because of the belt, I'm convinced that I had many fewer leaks than if I didn't. 
You use convex products since your stoma is now at or below your skin level. If you added a belt with it hooked to its own ring that goes over the ostomy ring, you'll experience way fewer leaks than you now get. 
If you want to know about a belt like this, I have the info buried amongst all my ostomy notes, and it's not easy to send it right this minute. 
I'll order samples of the products that you use. Even though you have leaks (true??), I really want to check them out. 
Thanks for sharing your letter with many of us. I'm learning a lot. Of course, if you'd like to share more info, please send it to me. 
Take care of yourself, Elaine. 
Sharon