3D Printing Ostomy Barriers: Any Success Stories?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Howdy gang,

Been pondering buying a 3-D printer and making minimal contact barriers that use a large foam O-ring rather than an adhesive bandage.....similar to the Nu-Hope adhesiveless urostomy barrier. I think I can make something better.........but before I go reinvent the wheel I want to see if anyone has already started down this path. Printers are cheap and we have a huge 3-D print lab at work........where training on how to program and use is free. And I'm sure they won't miss a few spools of material...........so why not?

If anyone has or is looking into this.........let's chat.

Thanks,

Bob

Ninja

Bob:

Excellent question this is. I don't know the urostomy materials at all, but I went a different direction with ileostomy supplies. I'm the environmentally distressed type who cannot believe how much having an ileostomy has contributed to my carbon footprint. It may sound bourgeois, however it really bothers me. There is a company in Plainville, Connecticut, Perma-Type which makes old school vinyl and rubber durable medical equipment. I ordered one to my specs with the hope that a reusable item might be beneficial to my quest, but alas, it was nearly impossible to clean effectively, and the hoped-for seal was awful compared to the decades of research and development that the big three (Hollister, Coloplast, Convatech) has committed to the single-use bag business. Some lovely British folks, who own Ostique in London but are in early stages, and another UK company, Salta Health Care, had way more creative ideas.

Let me hear what you are up to with this. I would be happy to locate some 3D printing and guinea pig for the cause. I know that the output issues are more widely variable than sometimes we consider, but think this is a truly worthy project. Godspeed to any innovation.....or creative efforts emanating from the trenches. Local control....has its merits. Best, Ninja in Cali

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,373 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

Hi Bob, I printed several stoma protective covers on a 3D printer and it works great. The one I am wearing today has lasted 5 years and still going strong. I tried to make it as low profile as possible so depending on stoma size (length it sticks out) you can tailor to your needs. Mine is more like a protective cup. I have been debating bringing to market and applying for a patent but have not had the time. It is functional without a belt too. Penguins7

w30bob

Hi Penguins7,

Awesome!   The patent thing is a bitch.   I've got a friend who's been trying to get a patent on an invention for years now.   Your protector would be much simpler, so hopefully not as involved or costly........so go for it.   At least your production of them won't involve a lot of non-recoupable bucks.    

I want to make a cover of sorts that has an inner circle of spider type fingers that apply differing pressure to a ring that holds the o-ring in place.   This way you can move and not have the o-ring lose contact.   It would need to be worn with a waist belt and a second thru-the-groin belt to keep it in place, but the nylon could be made thin enough to be flexible and still durable.   Lots of possibilities.   Glad to hear you're already heading down the 3-D printing path.   We might have to compare notes once I get started!!

Thanks,

Bob

Penguins7

Hey Bob, let me know how I can help you out. My 3D stoma guard is very robust. I purchased every stoma guard on the market after my surgery and then designed one, and mine is superior! Penguins7

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister