Daily Colostomy Pouch Changes: Pros and Cons

Replies
Views
patrickrichardson1946

I have read of a person who does a daily pouch change and I am interested in the views of anyone who does or has... positives and negatives.

At the moment, I use the Pelican Platinum with Vitamin E drainable pouch and change every other day. I live alone, but I will be sharing accommodation shortly and on second days is when I tend to have problems - odor, pancaking, and leaks.

Any advice or experience will be much appreciated.

Thank you, Patrick.

Past Member

Change it when you want or need to be changed.

I see you're from the UK, so it might be worth contacting your stoma nurse. A different bag may benefit you or even just using a seal.

I change mine every 3-4 days as I know from experience that my skin starts to get irritated if I leave it on any longer. At times when I've been ill, I have left it for 2 weeks before changing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Maried

I do daily pouch changes when I go into work.

I have a colostomy and the smell seems to cling to the bag after the first day.. even when I use M9 odor controller. The negatives are you are using more bags and you have to be very careful with your skin when pulling off the bag that often. I hold the skin down and gently pull off the old bag. Positives .. a clean bag, and when I empty or burp the bag the smell is not horrible and does not cling to my clothes and the air.

Past Member

Hi Patrick,

I change my entire appliance when necessary; for me, that is every 4 - 5 days. That is usually when I notice an odor, and that is usually the signal that I need a change. I wonder if the equipment you're using contributes to you having to change so frequently. Maybe not, but it might be worth it to try some samples from other manufacturers to see if you can get more wear out of your appliance. A friend of mine uses disposable pouch liners - she finds that she doesn't need to change her appliance as frequently as a result.

Laurie

patrickrichardson1946

Hi Maried, thanks for the reply. At the moment, I am not looking at it for a long term, though my bags are supplied by the National Health Service. I dare say I might be getting a telephone call if I start using double the amount supplied. I did think of possible skin problems, and this was mentioned by my stoma nurse Gill (lovely lady) when I was having difficulties at the beginning of my ostomate life. I do use adhesive remover when changing the pouch and never use force to remove the old pouch... so far, touch wood, I have had no skin problems.

Thanks for your input Maried.

Patrck

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
patrickrichardson1946

Hi Panther, thanks for the reply. I have had a couple of leaks lately, due to pancaking, and I think the hot weather causing sweat did not help. I used seals (half moon strengtheners) while the weather cooled down, but I am not keen to use them as I find them very strong and I think too much use could cause skin damage. In the past, I may have had the same bag for three or even four days, but that is in my early ostomate days, a long time ago. After COVID lockdown, when things are hopefully back to normal, I will consult my ostomy clinic on different pouches...though my present one is sting-free. Thanks for the info, Panther.

Patrick

patrickrichardson1946

Thanks c57557555, I have not tried them before. I will certainly give your suggestions a try.

Patrick

patrickrichardson1946

Thanks Laurie, think you are correct. I need to go back to basics and rethink everything I am doing and using, and make a fresh start.

Patrick

patrickrichardson1946

Thanks c57557555, for the info. Gives me something new to have a go at. Patrick

Poppy Red

I normally change after my daily shower. I then feel confident until my next shower. Occasionally, I have to change during the night as I have a leak or it doesn't feel right as the seal is deteriorating because I sometimes lay on it. I also may put a fresh one on when out and using public toilets. When I first had an ileostomy in my teens, I could wear the same one for days, but now the maximum time I go is two days. My GPs have never questioned the amount I order or any changes I make (which is not often).

patrickrichardson1946

Hi c57557555, I am not looking to extend my pouch life. I am concerned about odor when in close contact with other people, dining, theater sort of locations. I only use a belt when exerting myself in case of hernia. Patrick