Looking for Yoga/Pilates Class Advice

Replies
Views
Feb9HH

I wasn't really enthusiastic about working out prior to surgery on Feb 9, 2021. I would really like to join a class of Pilates or Yoga, something. I know some people who worked out previously have started working out again after they recovered. (I don't know them personally but on social media.)
Please share any advice or experiences as I am really not trying to get a hernia because I want a flatter stomach. Thanks!

Bill

Hello Feb9HH.

Surgery or not, the advice with regard to exercise is always to stay within your own limits and start off with the easy stuff. take note of your own body and don't overdo it.  With stomas there is a distinct possibility that we are likely to get hernias - so be extra careful. However, I managed to acquire one before leaving hospital, so there is no telling if or when these things might happen. After many years, I now do all sorts of things including lifting heavy items and working out, yet I have not developed any more hernias. Go figure!

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Pilates and yoga are really good and safe exercises to do with an ostomy, and building up your core muscles is the best thing you can do to try and prevent developing a hernia.

There is a woman on a well-known social media site that does online Pilates classes. I'm not sure how much she charges, but she is well qualified to teach and has an ileostomy herself.

Feb9HH

That is encouraging! Do you know her name?

Past Member

I don't think we're allowed to say their names on posts. I'm a full member, so I can send you a message with her name if that's okay? 

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AM-PM

Hello, nbsp.

Panther may be talking about Sarah Russell. She teaches online classes for all levels from post-surgery, foundation to intermediate/advanced. She also wrote the Bowel Cancer Recovery Toolkit which is great. Nbsp; nbsp.

I do the live classes every week but there are also on-demand ones to do in your own time. Nbsp.

Sarah's great and would be happy to answer any queries.

More info here https://www.theostomystudio.co.uk/

Past Member

AM-PM,

Yes, that's who I was talking about. You couldn't find anyone better than Sarah.

AM-PM

Hello

Admin, please feel free to remove if this post breaks guidelines.  

Thank you.

Caz67

Hi Feb 9, first of all, welcome to the site. Second, I admire you for wanting to take up yoga and/or Pilates. Just like everyone else has said, go at a pace which is comfortable and don't overdo it. Let us know how you get on. Good luck xx

mildred

Hi HH, I have a urostomy and I too would like to strengthen my core. Can you send me her name too? Thanks, Elizabeth