Possible blockage from swallowing olive - need advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the possibility of an ostomy blockage caused by swallowing an olive and seeks advice from the community.
Ritucci

I just swallowed a small olive and I'm afraid that I'm going to get a blockage. I'm looking for any advice.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Superme

Hi Ritucci. First, don't panic. Just drink plenty of fluids and go about your day as usual. If anything, it may take a bit longer to dissolve but it should pass no problem, even if it has a pit in it. The pit wouldn't dissolve but would flush out whole. Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ritucci

Thanks for letting your response.

Bill

Hello Ritucci.

As George Bernard Shaw once said: " Ninety percent of all the things I ever worried about - never happened!"

Best wishes

Bill

HenryM

Swallowing a small olive is nothing compared to millions of people in a country swallowing a line of BS and electing a corrupt, incompetent, narcisistic moron president, and look how that's turned out...  

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob
Reply to HenryM

Well said Henry! And so true. But for the record.........I voted for the guy who lost!

;0)

Bob

HenryM
Reply to w30bob

At least you have enough sense to realize that he lost.  That's a start back on the road to recovery, Bob.  :)

Ritucci
Reply to Bill

In this case, George was right on. The olive reappeared unscathed in my pouch yesterday morning.

Ritucci
Reply to Superme

The entire olive passed into my pouch yesterday morning without a blemish. I was surprised that the olive didn't break down at all.

w30bob

Hi Ritucci,

Yeah, it is weird how some high fiber things seem to make it through totally unscathed. But that's pretty normal, as our bodies just can't break down such things. It relies on us chewing those high fiber foods to give it a head start. So it all goes back to that advice you hear on here all the time........chew, chew, chew.......and then chew some more!! Glad it worked its way out!!

Regards,

Bob