Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Ileostomy possible blockage

Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:11 pm

I just swallowed a while small olive and I'm afraid that I'm going to get a blockage. I'm looking for any advice. 

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi Ritucci. First don't panic. Just drink plenty of fluids and go about your day as usual. If anything it will may take a bit longer to dissolve but it should pass no problem, even if it has a pit in it. The pit wouldn't dissolve but would flush out whole. Mike

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:47 pm

Thanks for letting your response 

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:12 am

Hello Ritucci.

As George Bernard Shaw once said: " Ninety percent of all the things I ever worried about - never happened!"

Best wishes

Bill

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:51 am

Swallowing a small olive is nothing compared to millions of people in a country swallowing a line of BS and electing a corrupt, incompetent, narcisistic moron president, and look how that's turned out...  

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:25 pm

HenryM wrote:

Swallowing a small olive is nothing compared to millions of people in a country swallowing a line of BS and electing a corrupt, incompetent, narcisistic moron president, and look how that's turned out...  

Well said Henry!  And so true.  But for the record.........I voted for the guy who lost!  

;0)

bob

Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:55 am

w30bob wrote:

Well said Henry!  And so true.  But for the record.........I voted for the guy who lost!  

;0)

bob

At least you have enough sense to realize that he lost.  That's a start back on the road to recovery, Bob.  :)

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:29 am

Bill wrote:

Hello Ritucci.

As George Bernard Shaw once said: " Ninety percent of all the things I ever worried about - never happened!"

Best wishes

Bill

In this case, George was right on. The olive reappeared unscathed in my pouch yesterday morning. 

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:32 am

Superme wrote:

Hi Ritucci. First don't panic. Just drink plenty of fluids and go about your day as usual. If anything it will may take a bit longer to dissolve but it should pass no problem, even if it has a pit in it. The pit wouldn't dissolve but would flush out whole. Mike

The entire olive passed into my pouch yesterday morning without a blemish. I was surprised that the olive didn't break down at all. 

Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:34 am

Hi Ritucci,

Yeah, it is weird how some high fiber things seem to make it thru totally unscathed.  But that's pretty normal, as our bodies just can't break down such things.  It relies on us chewing those high fiber foods to give it a head start.  So it all goes back to that advice you hear on here all the time........chew, chew, chew.......and then chew some more!!  Glad it worked its way out!!  

regards,

bob

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.