Coaster Rides with an Ostomy: Any Tips?

Replies
Views
Ritz

Hi to all my adventurous ostomates...

I'm headed to see my son and 3 highly active grandkids next week and my son tells me we're going to Kings Dominion (an amusement park) to ride the coasters. The last time I'd been there, I vomited on workers' shoes and sweated like crazy and had to stop riding the rides. I was taken by ambulance to a Virginia hospital where I was diagnosed with low potassium and low sodium (nothing new to me). This was all before my surgery.
Now that I'm toting a bag, has anyone experienced issues with the rides, especially the bars to hold you in? Or your bags going fast and upside down? I'm trying to prepare myself for a hopeful fun day...

Thank you in advance for any input and happiness for my output!...Ritz

Past Member

No problems. I've been to many amusement parks. Jump on and enjoy the rides.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,457 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

In all candor, Ritz, the only time since my surgery that I went on a roller coaster (with one of my little girls), I was so freaking scared it never even occurred to me to be concerned about the damn bag. 

Earth Angel

Ritz,

Just pace yourself and see how you feel as you go. I'm sure your son and grandkids will understand if you don't feel like going on the rides. They'll be happy just to have you there!

Maybe drink some Gatorade to help with electrolytes?

Have fun!!!!

Ritz
Reply to Earth Angel

Oh, I'll have my added electrolytes and sodium tabs. I was more concerned about the bag with those seatbelt bars. Any experience with them?

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ritz
Reply to HenryM

So true, Henry. I always loved them and the upside down ones! I just hope I don't pop!

Ritz
Reply to Anonymous

Thanks Panther... I'll ignore it, I hope. If I pop, I pop! I'm very excited to go! Last time was not pleasant and nothing better to get my heart pumping than those big coasters! Ritz

bowsprit

If you could take a ride on what they call "The Well of Death" in an amusement park here, you would think that riding a roller coaster was as easy as riding a dodge-em car! Take the middle seats if you can, the front and back seats are scarier and scream if you want to, takes care of some of the fear. Have fun.

w30bob
Reply to Ritz

Ritz on a roller coaster... Yee-Haaa!

I hope you don't pop either!! If I'm there that weekend, I'll make sure to sit in front of you... not behind! What a story that would make for some poor unsuspecting kid.

So Johnny... how was the roller coaster ride? Well, Dad... it was fun... until the lady in front of me got so scared she pooped on us!!! Ah... to be a kid again...

;0)

Bob

Earth Angel

Yes, scream all you want, but make sure you put your arms up in the air too! It's an amazing adrenaline rush!!!

Ritz
Reply to w30bob

Gosh Bob... I better not pop!

Ritz
Reply to bowsprit

Are you sure the middle is less scary? I'm not sure if I should believe you!! I guess I'll sit where my grandkids pull me to

bowsprit
Reply to Ritz

Yes, the view from the front seats is terrifying. Some of us ride the roller coaster every day, many ups and downs. The French call it montagnes russes, Russian Mountains for some reason. C'est la vie. All the best wishes.

AdamC

I rode the Batman coaster at Six Flags when it was first built. If I survived that without incident, you should be fine!

Superme

It's really not a problem no matter which ride. Relax and have fun. I'm sure the kids will occupy your mind and you will forget about it.

Immarsh

Hi Ritz, if you've always ridden coasters, then go for it. I grew up in Brooklyn and never had the nerves to go on the Cyclone. Even when I went on kiddie coasters or the Runaway Train, I was having angst. My 5-year-old said, "Isn't this fun, mommy?" and mommy just wanted to "barf," but I never popped. The only place I did that was in the Dead Sea, in Israel. The salinity of the water made the bag pop off from the wafer. That was a mess, but nothing that a shower and tape couldn't help. These days, I would just use extra tape to tape the bag to the flange and even tape the / and the bag to the skin. I never had problems with the "flumes" either, although I came off those rides soaked. Don't wear see-through (white ;) pants. Let me know when you're in NJ. I would love to meet up. Have fun...

w30bob
Reply to Ritz

Hi Ritz,

Remember you asked a while back why you should wear a belt with your bag..........I'd say roller coaster riding would be a good reason..........

Have fun!!!

:0)

Bob

Ritz
Reply to Immarsh

Marsh... I'll be sure never to visit the Red Sea! I'll only be in New Jersey one night with my son, old friends, and laying my late husband to rest. I'm hoping to schedule another trip after your winter to Hershey alone for a couple of weeks... so most definitely more time to meet up with you then!

Ritz... ps, I rode the Cyclone at the World's Fair! I got cotton candy stuck in my long hair... I should have listened to my mom and had her hold it!

Ritz
Reply to AdamC

I rode that one, but no ostomy then. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the encouragement.

Ritz

Ritz
Reply to w30bob

Lol!!!!

Ritz
Reply to Superme

They've already reminded me how sick I was last time! It sounds like I'm promised to ride the biggest, fastest one 3 times! I have 3 grandkids, I really need 3 arms as each one always pulls!! I love being the young at heart adventurous Grammie!!

Ritz

w30bob
Reply to Ritz

Can't wait to see the video!!

:0)

Ritz
Reply to w30bob

Bob... Oh geez, now I need to hold a camera and the bar and my head and bag;... WOW!

You're not far from Virginia... come and video it!!!

Beth22

Ritz,

I haven't ridden any since I have gotten the bag .. but I do live in Virginia and have gone there several times.. You will have a blast .. If you need any heads on rides I'd be glad to help..

bettiroberts
Reply to Anonymous

No problem at all. Just go and have fun!