Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,431 members

White waxy substance

Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:33 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Lately I'm seing white waxy looking ring around outer part of my stoma. Twice now in the last week. 1st time I thought it happened because using too much deodorant lubrication. I can break this ring off through the outside bag and push it towards the outlet. I cut down on amount of lube and it seemed fine. Now it's back again and I know I used very little lubricant. It's happened after new bag put on. Has anyone else encountered this? Do I need to call doctor? I've only had ostomy since July 26th. I'm new at this. 
I read online it's mucus? But why it look like wax? Is it from pancaking? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:49 pm

Hi Mamasan,

I did a quick look around the internet and the only thing close to what you are describing occurs with urostomies........where urine contacts the colloidial material of barrier ring and turns it into a waxy mess.  But from your profile it said you had a perforated colon........so I assume you have either an ileostomy or a partial colostomy......so there should be no urine present.  I don't see how mucus coming from inside your stoma could form a ring around the outside of your stoma.........but have no experience with such a thing.  You don't say how long after you install your new barrier/ring you see this waxy ring.......are we talking minutes, hours or days?  I'm also not sure what you mean by 'deodorant lubrication'..........sorry.  If no one on here has any ideas simply break the ring off and slide it out of your bag as you describe. Then put it in a ziplock bag and bring it to your doctor's lab (after you call your doc and explain that you want to have it analyzed).  If your doc doesn't work at a facility with a lab onsite........ask him/her where you should take it for analysis.  Should be very easy to determine exactly what it is.  l'm leaning toward your barrier decaying........but that 'deodorant lubrication' thing has my attention.  

regards,

bob

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,431 members
Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:49 pm

Mamasan, My advice on this is to check with an ostomy nurse. I do have two questions although. Does the ring wash off in the shower or with adhesive remover? I'm thinking that part of your barrier is separating and leaving residue. Why are you using a lubricant? Is it really necessary? I have a feeling that lubricant/ deodorant is causing the problem. Mike

Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:34 am

w30bob wrote:

Hi Mamasan,

I did a quick look around the internet and the only thing close to what you are describing occurs with urostomies........where urine contacts the colloidial material of barrier ring...

I see the white waxy substance about hour or two after new bag placed. I was given a bottle of liquid Adapt deodorizing gel. You squirt small amount at outlet of bag, move it around a little. This gel helps keep smell down with releasing gas in the bag. I have had my ostomy bag since July 26th and used the Adapt deodorizing gel since being in hospital so I'm not sure it's creating the white waxy ring around stoma. I'll call wound nurse and ask them. Thank you for response. 

Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:42 am

Superme wrote:

Mamasan, My advice on this is to check with an ostomy nurse. I do have two questions although. Does the ring wash off in the shower or with adhesive remover? I'm thinking that part of your barrier ...

I keep bag on when showering. So I have no idea if it'd breaks apart. I break it apart and push down to bottom of bag. As for Adapt deodorizing gel it was suggested I use on new bags or when bag is emptied, and add a squirt. I guess the answer is no, it doesn't have to be used if I don't want. It does keep smells down when the air is released - times I need to "burp" the bag. I will call wound nurse and ask the question what it could be. Thanks for quick reply.

Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:45 am

w30bob wrote:

Hi Mamasan,

I did a quick look around the internet and the only thing close to what you are describing occurs with urostomies........where urine contacts the colloidial material of barrier ring...

As usual, your input & advice is excellent Bob. You are truly a blessing to us ostomates on this site.

Mike from Lakewood, Ohio

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:12 pm

countyclare wrote:

As usual, your input & advice is excellent Bob. You are truly a blessing to us ostomates on this site.

Mike from Lakewood, Ohio

Hi Mike.  Remember..........one man's blessing........is another man's curse.  But I appreciate the sentiment!!!  Thanks.

;0)

bob

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:48 am

To put this one question I had to bed. I Spoke with wound ostomy nurse for awhile. What is turning white is my battier ring. Due to moisture in the bag, especially after placing a new one, the ring is absorbing this moisture and turns the ring white. She instructed me not to break apart but leave it be. This is not real common but does happen at times. 
Thank you all for excellent, supportive responses. It's nice to have somewhere to go and ask questions where it is understood exactly what im feeling or know answers to my bumps in the road.

Mamasan

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.