Thanksgiving, Cancer, CKD & Urostomy: Eating Advice?

Replies
Views
mikamouse

Hi all, it's been a bit! Well, happy Thanksgiving! I just had a little bit of dinner for the first time in 2 years! I am alone this year thanks to COVID and some family members not vaccinated.

So, I am coming up on my one year cancer-free! My surgery was Dec 15, 2020, and I underwent 5 months of chemo first, so last Thanksgiving I was way too sick to eat. Now I just got my labs back and for the very first time, all my numbers are in the green except B12 (now taking injections) and my GRF is 35.
I was diagnosed with CKD after my Urostomy and was a stage 4. With healthy eating and exercise, I got myself up to a 3B!

With that said, I did cook a turkey, a low sodium stuffing, and all the crap that one would eat. Boy...I cannot eat much at all! My whole pattern has changed with eating.

I was wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease after chemo and cancer like I was... and how you are dealing with eating with a Urostomy? I think it bothers me more due to the parastomal hernia around my stoma.

But I am thankful to be alive right now... I've lost 6 friends to cancer... all in their 50s. This past year. It's been a trying time. So

I am extremely grateful

(Sorry, this sounds all over the place, I'm on a cellphone..cannot see)‍

mild_mannered_super_hero

Congratulations on the one-year cancer-free diagnosis! It's been 20 years for me....I don't even give it a thought anymore.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,429 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Congratulations.

Caz67

Congratulations! Good to hear you're turning the corner. Keep kicking ass. XX

Axl

Congratulations and best wishes to you.

Axl

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Stoma_N_FL

Congratulations and continued healing. I just got the all clear on my 2nd anniversary from bladder cancer. I have to see a urologist regarding my kidney numbers, so I may be reaching out to you with questions. If that's okay

Morning glory

Congratulations, stay well and enjoy life.

Bryce

Congratulations! Celebrating 12 years this month with an ileal conduit from bladder cancer. Ask your nephrologist about Jardiance, started this 2 months ago and A1C / GFR / creatinine numbers are good plus it has lessened some afib symptoms. All the best, PS: I have dual citizenship so I get 2 Thanksgivings!

mikamouse
Reply to Bryce

Hello!
Jardiance? For kidney disease? Huh... I thought this was for diabetics. I do not have that... And congratulations on 12 years! I hope this feeling of taking it one day at a time wears off a bit to already one week at a time!

Thanks!

Bryce
Reply to mikamouse

Hi,

After the bladder cancer operation, the urologist suggested establishing a relationship with a nephrologist as the 'kidney tubes' run directly to the stoma and this can lead to kidney infection. I have also been pre-diabetic for 10 years with an A1C averaging 6.8. GFR/creatinine numbers have not changed in 10 years, but they are still slightly out of whack, so the kidney doctor put me on Jardiance. An unintended positive side effect was that Jardiance has caused less shortness of breath caused by Afib. I had the cardiologist do an ECG, and the Afib is still there. He can't explain why the symptoms are improved but is pleased they are. Two other patients with my family doctor have also been put on Jardiance by their cardiologists and experienced similar results. The bottom line is that at some point, an ileal conduit/urostomy is going to cause some kidney issues, and this is just a heads-up that Jardiance may be helpful with a side benefit of helping heart issues if you have them.

The "one day at a time" feeling will definitely morph into a week, then two weeks, then a month at a time. Your profile presents well, so you will have lots of support on this site, and that, plus a positive mental attitude, should see you well on your way to feeling better.

Best,

Bryce

iMacG5

Hi Mikamouse.  Belated Happy Thanksgiving, congratulations and thanks for sharing.  You might've gone all over the place but it's all the places most of us need to go.  Waiting for your next trip.

Respectfully,

Mike