Should I Wear a Hernia Belt After Surgery?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hi everyone,

I was reading some older posts on hernia belts. Is it a good idea to wear one from the start? Will it prevent one from happening? I had my surgery in March 2020 and my stoma nurse never mentioned it. But it sounds like it is the worst to get a hernia.

Thanks

AlexT

I don't think it's a 100% guarantee to prevent one. I think it helps, but the chance (lesser with a belt) is still there to get one.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,316 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

They are kind of pricey and it sounds like you have to get measured for them. Hmmmm

AlexT

Check with your insurance. If you get your doctor or ostomy nurse to prescribe one, it might be covered.

patrickrichardson1946

My stoma nurse advised me to wear one as often as possible, which as time goes by, I have become more lax. If you are carrying something heavy, and I mean heavy for an ostomate, or doing something where you are exerting yourself, then I would wear one. It is a matter of personal judgment, but I would err on the side of caution. I wouldn't have thought belts were that expensive, but living in the UK and not wanting to sound smug, I can get one supplied from the NHS (National Health Service) every six months. Are belts in Canada different from the UK ones? On Amazon, from £20, measure yourself or get a friend to do it.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Reply to patrickrichardson1946

I've just started searching for belts and they seem to be in the $200.00 CAD range. I don't have private insurance so nothing is covered. But it is well worth the money if it prevents a hernia.