Hernia Protrusion: Spasms, Anxiety, and Seeking Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
mikamouse

Ugh! Dr. office never got back to me.. but I coughed funny today and my stomach on the right side was highly protruding out! I have been having internal issues that feel like my colon is in spasms! (I have a urostomy)!
I put in two hernia belts today and tried staying busy because I am scared to death over this small hernia I have. I called the Dr. office today, they told me if I have intense pain, vomiting, or the protruding does not go down, get to the ER!

I have to go in for a CT scan and they are trying to get me an appointment but having insurance issues!

I took a Xanax and I seem to be a bit better, but I'm afraid to move! When I stand, it feels like my stomach is gonna fall out. Weird... I know. I'm just nervous about this until we find out just what is going on. I'm very uncomfortable.... any suggestions? Anyone experience that spasm feeling? Please help me put my mind at ease!

Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Oh gosh, I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope someone comes along that can help you. Sending hugs

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Cplumber

Oh geez. I can totally relate. And it's okay to feel that way. I remember having those feelings. So here's an idea. If you have Spanx or a binder, you could put it on to help support and even cut a hole for your ostomy. Or if it's really bad and you have a large hospital close by, you could go there and talk to the Wound and Ostomy nurse. Every time I'm in for surgery, they usually have one on the weekends. They may have a binder or even a hernia belt on hand. And if they do and it's the wrong size, you can alter it to fit (I have tons of ideas to make it work). Oh man, I just searched Amazon and they have a hernia belt for ostomies that can be delivered as soon as Sunday the 16th in my area.

Good luck! I'll be praying for you. Let us know if you have any questions.

cplumber

AlexT
Reply to Cplumber

Could a person use a ratchet strap in an emergency just to help hold it tight?

Cplumber
Reply to AlexT

Totally use a ratchet strap and a plastic plate with a hole drilled in it as a disc for support. I heard a lady used a cat food can and a belt for an ostomy bag, so whatever works.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
mikamouse
Reply to Cplumber

I'm waiting on a CT scan... I do have hernia belts I've been wearing.

I would like to get a double one but I cannot afford it right now.

I have not been back to work in two years, between COVID and having cancer... it's been rough. I cannot get all the supplies I rightfully need and that has been a huge issue for me.

AlexT
Reply to mikamouse

What kind of supplies do you need?

mikamouse
Reply to AlexT

I am in need of stuff like a few dome covers, I'm afraid to hit my stoma and want to cover it. I need grab bars in my bathroom... I need pouch covers.. I want a shower cup and I need more Nu Forn hernia belts and I paid for one, my insurance is supposed to cover those.

AlexT

Why do you need multiple hernia belts? I understand buying different ones to try, but why do you need more than one of the same kind?

mikamouse
Reply to AlexT

I did not say the same one. There are ones with different thickness and I would

like to see which one helps best