Coloplast Colostomy Pouches: Capacity Issues?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Since my Jan 3 surgery resulting in a colostomy, I and my stoma nurses are on a constant search for the right gear for me. My stoma, right from day one, has been lousy. It has a large overhang of thick flesh (like a canopy) and when I sit down, it retracts.

Started out with Hollister two-piece convex with a ring but had leaks. Also tried Hollister two-piece with the smaller base plate and ring opening on the pouch. That was better, as the smaller wafer didn't have to conform to as many contours.

Recently tried samples of Coloplast one-piece drainable. It's comfortable. There is some stool leakage onto the convex part but never further. Love the "exit ramp," so much easier to use than the Hollister when emptying. With the Hollister appliance, I found it impossible to prevent stool from getting on my hands and toilet no matter what I did.

BUT the Coloplast pouch is too small! The top one inch is taken up by the useless filter and although it may measure the same as the Hollister pouch, it does not have the same capacity, perhaps due to its layers of plastic and that it's very flat. I have to empty it 4-5 times a day, 1/3 full has it approaching my stoma. The bag doesn't expand with its load, it just stays flat and piles up that way. Hard to explain. The Hollister I can empty just twice a day. It does expand as it fills. I am not a very big eater. Low output.

I think I'll end up with the Hollister two-piece with closed pouches, no filter, and count on very occasional leaks.

Have others found the Coloplast capacity to be too small?

AlexT

Do you use skin prep wipes?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

Is that the Coloplast Mio you tried? I tried it and loved the bag material, but I didn't like the opening as it wasn't "rigid" enough for my liking when emptying. I didn't care for the Velcro "dots" either. It's the bag I had my first blowout in. I like Hollister because of the tape edges that seem to hold well as a last stand against a leak. I'm really hard on my bags because of my work, but the Hollister bags have held up great.

TerryLT

I started out wearing Coloplast and I did find that the capacity was a problem sometimes, but for me it wasn't output, it was gas. I would wake up in the middle of the night with a balloon that felt like it was about to explode. I never actually had a blowout from this, but some close calls. I just found that I got leaks from the Coloplast that didn't happen when I switched to Hollister. What works well for one, is a disaster for another. Have you made sure that Coloplast doesn't make a larger volume pouch? Even talking to them about the subject may be helpful, as I know feedback from users does help to determine their product development.

Terry

Audrey Warren

I was using a Coloplast convex pouch but found it uncomfortable. I'm short and I could feel it up under my breast when I sat down. I don't know how the amount of my output compares to others. I am not a big eater.

Last week I spoke with a Coloplast rep who was very helpful (All the reps seem to be nice and helpful). He told me the model I was wearing was not good. I wanted to try the Coloplast Sensura Mio convex flip. He sent me samples of it and several other Coloplast items.
Last Tuesday I tried the convex flip and love it. It comes in several variations.

As someone has already suggested, call Convatec, Coloplast, and Hollister and tell them your problem. Hopefully, you'll find an answer.
; I had my colostomy on Nov. 8th and am still learning.

And, I had a home health care nurse who was new to ostomy care and she was virtually incompetent. If you feel you think and feel your nurse is good, wonderful. If you have doubts, request a new one.

My second nurse was experienced and I loved her.

Finally, I'm sorry your stoma is not the shape a good stoma should be.

This is a great site for sympathy and good information. Google veganostomy.ca and Eric has wonderful videos on YouTube. I also like Ostomy Diaries.

Good luck,

Audrey Warren

Two bags

I have tried the Coloplast drainable bag and also find it too small. I've had a few phone chats with the suppliers in Australia, after they sent me samples. I complained about the pouch being small, even smaller than Hollister, hoping one day they will make a larger one. I still use Coloplast, but I use the high output ileostomy bag, works for me. I haven't fired Hollister completely, still think they have the best, most flexible barrier. I alternate my monthly orders, Hollister then Coloplast.

ron in mich

Hi Inthebag, it's early on with your colo but ask your nurse about irrigation. You may be able to not wear a pouch. Good luck.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

Yes, Alex T, I always protect my skin with a barrier film. The peristomal skin remains healthy.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

Alex, I don't even know the name of the one I tried. Duh. It is a one-piece, drainable, and the wafer that attaches to the skin is very flexible, which is what I need. I do like the Velcro dots, which hold the opening open as I empty. But the capacity is ridiculously inadequate. I can understand why you had a blowout.

I did an experiment with that bag and the Hollister. Using a thickened protein shake, I poured equal amounts into each. The Hollister expanded in all directions to accommodate the fluid. The Coloplast stayed flat and filled up to the flange. That showed me that, yes, the two bags may measure the same top to bottom, but the design differences are really obvious.

Past Member
Reply to TerryLT

I have spoken a number of times to Coloplast. They do not make a larger pouch and stick with their story that it measures the same top to bottom as other bags. When I pointed out that yeah, that's true but it doesn't expand, just stays flat as it fills, then I was told "then you empty it!" Duh, that's the problem. And I don't want a blowout, thank you very much, service rep.

Past Member

I so appreciate all of the ideas and support you all bring to me, thank you! I hope I am paying it forward as I experience life with a colostomy.

I have great stoma nurses, I am lucky that way. One visits my home 1 or 2 times each week. She mentioned I'm not changing my gear often enough. Very, very experienced, she believes my best gear is the Hollister small wafer with either the open or closed pouch. My change gear schedule has been Mondays and Thursdays, as that's when the original stoma nurse was coming. Now that I am able to put on just about any kind of gear, my best stoma nurse is advising me to change gear every 3-4 days. Not going 5 days, as I had been. This advice makes sense to me.

As for stoma revision surgery, perhaps in the future if I can find a very experienced surgeon who builds perfect stomas. I've had 7 surgeries in under two years. The thought of another makes me ill.

Past Member
Reply to Two bags

Coloplast did offer me the ileostomy pouch. But it's really overkill for me, since my output is low and I'm only 5' tall. That'd be a lot of gear on me.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

AlexT and others.... I had tried to post a picture of my stoma here but that didn't work. So that lovely photo now resides among my profile pics. I often wonder if it's as bad as it seems to be or if I'm just a drama queen. (Well, I might be a drama queen no matter what, but this is really about my stoma with the canopy!)

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

I saw your photo and I can see your issue. I could see a major issue with stuff sticking properly as it appears your stoma is basically below the level of your skin. Mine usually sticks out from my skin 1-1 1/2 inches when I'm up and moving about. When I lay down and relax, it'll go down to level or just above the skin level. The reason I asked about skin prep wipes is I just asked Hollister about using them with their bags. Their reply was that they do not recommend using a skin prep. I had a wound/ostomy appointment earlier this week and asked her about using skin prep wipes. Her explanation made more sense. She said that years ago the sticky stuff (either on your wafer or bag) was much harder on your skin so they wanted people to put the skin prep on to help save your skin. But nowadays, the newer sticky stuff is much easier on your skin and unless having skin irritation, they don't recommend using the skin prep wipes.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

AlexT, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I figured this stoma ain't quite right but am so new at this game I wasn't sure. It looked like this from day one. The canopy will keep my stoma dry should I ever run naked in the rain.

So on I'll go getting tortured by equipment issues and trials until I say enough is enough and get it revised. Huh, if I make that decision real soon then I'll be at 8 surgeries in under 2 years, during a pandemic. What a goal.

Also, thank you for the skin prep info. Makes so much sense! I'll stick with the warm water on soft cloth, and then dry cloth. Nice to knock a product off the list. I had a very thin, tired flannel robe that I cut into squares and hemmed to use as cleanup and prep and dry cloths. Free and perfect!

Angela

margueritelewis990
Reply to AlexT

No, I use cleanser to cleanse the area well, then dry well using a heavy-duty paper towel.

Past Member
Reply to margueritelewis990

I do use the Hollister goo remover (I can't remember the names of anything) as I remove the wafer and ring, so I don't tear my skin off. I suppose that's the stuff AlexT was saying isn't necessary? On my crazy skin it is, unfortunately.

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

No. The stuff I was referring to is the skin prep wipe that you put on to protect your skin. The remover stuff is fine as long as you wash it off and let your skin dry good before putting your bag on.

Old Bud

After fighting with different bags, flanges, and other accessories, what has worked for me the best was adding 3M Tegaderm tape used in hospitals, around the flange tape. It sticks like nothing I have ever seen. I am up to 6 days between changes and have had zero leaks since we started using this about 8 months ago. We tape all four sides and it really stabilizes the whole thing. Huge confidence booster! Good luck!

Past Member
Reply to Old Bud

I use Hypafix Non-Woven Retention Tape around the edges of my wafer to feel more secure about the edges not rolling up.

TerryLT
Reply to Anonymous

I just looked at the picture you posted of your stoma, and I can sure tell why you are having such difficulty! My heart goes out to you. I really hope you can get revision surgery. A pox on that surgeon!! He/she shouldn't be doing ostomy surgery!

Terry

Past Member
Reply to TerryLT

Ya, Delgrl525, what a mess. Thank you for your compassion. It's been like that since day 1. I recall asking the nurse upon seeing it for the first time "What the heck is with that mess?" It has made my recovery much more difficult than it should be. Whomever I find to do the stoma revision, I'll insist upon a CT of my abdomen to make sure the surgeon did that part right. I had this surgery at The Lahey Clinic in MA, a Center of Excellence. The surgeon was younger than those I usually choose. I agree, he should not be doing this surgery. Arghhhhhhhh

Past Member
Reply to Old Bud

I am soooo allergic to Tegaderm! It's insane.

Superme

I have had my ileostomy for over 40 years and I have tried almost every product out there. My choice of appliance is Convatec. I use the two-piece convex with Eakin Seals under it. I rarely ever have a leak and I could wear the appliance for 4 to 5 days. Convatec is a bit pricier but as far as Eakin seals are concerned, Coloplast and Hollister both have comparable barriers. I also make sure before each changing I clean around the stoma well with adhesive remover pads and I also shave any hairs that might impede a secure fit. Hope this helps. Mike

AlexT
Reply to Superme

I gotta shave the area too each time I change my bag. I use a woman's bikini shaver.