Expanding Vegetable Options with Ileostomy - Need Advice!

Replies
Views
Miss Worrier

Hi again! Today makes 3 months with my ileostomy! The only vegetable I have eaten is green beans and potatoes ;( !!! And mostly chicken as far as meats go! I have been scared to try any other veggies! Help!???

AlexT

I don't have an ileostomy but from everything I've read, small portions and chew, chew, chew with plenty of liquids.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Just eat it! It's the only way to try everything in small portions to start with and see how it goes. Don't drink too much while eating, it's likely to make your bag fill up with wind. Just ignore it when you read someone saying they can't eat something, that's their problem not yours. I've had an ileostomy for over 40 years and eat everything.... It's time to start enjoying your food again.

HenryM

If it's any encouragement, I've had an ileostomy since 1964 and there's very little I don't eat.  I certainly eat all veggies.  All meats.  The only thing I avoid is melons and raw carrots.  But I eat raw broccoli, raw cabbage; I enjoy popcorn regularly, nuts in moderation; spicy foods; you name it.  Just train yourself to chew your food well, and stay hydrated throughout the day.  You'll slowly discover how different foods impact your discharge.  Some will thicken you up (e.g. potatoes), some will cause you to be particularly liquidy (mild products with me).  Perhaps you ought to consider changing your name from 'Miss Worrier' to 'Miss Tries Everything.'

TerryLT

Ditto to everything that's been said. I have an ileo, and eat anything. You won't know until you try for yourself, but you don't need to deny yourself so many of the things you love to eat. Life is too short!

Terry

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Ditto to the above replies. Three months post-surgery, I was eating everything that wasn't nailed down (on the surgeon's advice - even the day after the op "eat all the food you can, it's time to stack on the beef"!), I was severely underweight so it was good advice. Once the appetite returned, I lived to eat! Thirteen years on, I certainly have the opposite problem but am happy and healthy and drug-free, so can't complain. Everything in moderation is fine as far as I can tell.

In the words of Weird Al - Just Eat It!

Longroad78

The best thing that I was able to eat from day one was avocados. Never had any issues, yellow squash should be okay if cooked right with butter, mashed potatoes.

Size of servings and chewing is the most important on anything when you introduce new foods back into your diet. Test the waters with small amounts.

Miss Worrier
Reply to Longroad78

Thanks everyone!! Time to get rave!!!! Food, here I come! Lolol

baltimorewill

I was there ....

Thought it was over for me and beans!!! Started trying different foods from the do not eat list.... Very little at first then normal portions next time.

I have an ileostomy. I eat broccoli, beans.

No issue. Just gas at times. I stay away from corn and make sure I chew it (I always have, why I'm a slow eater).

Admiral

Hi - I was so scared to try new food. I've had my ileostomy for about a year and a half. During the first several months of your ileostomy, they tell you to be careful of what you eat. It's swollen and can get blocked easily. Potstickers worked really well for me. Anything with skin on it, like tomatoes or potatoes, I have to cut up small so it will fit through the stoma because they don't digest. I am probably too careful. Some people just eat anything and have no problem. They say if you think you have a blockage, drink lots of water. And also, I didn't want to use a public restroom for a long time. But now, after I've used one a few times and had to empty it, it's gotten a lot easier. I hope you find what works for you.

Admiral
Reply to baltimorewill

Oh yes. I stay away from corn. It does not chew up or digest. I have eaten it but cut each little kernel in half.

Newbie28607

I am just over four weeks out from getting an ileostomy. I used to eat lots of delicious salads with local spring lettuce mix. I am so tempted to try salad, but the ostomy nurse and the NP for my surgeon say to wait until 6 weeks, please. What are your experiences? I am prepared to wait. But I'm also on this site because I know people have very different experiences and are given very different medical advice.

TerryLT

Hi Newbie, it is wise to wait the full six weeks. After surgery, the tissue around your surgical site, and the part of the bowel that is close to the surface, is swollen from the trauma of surgery. The opening will be smaller until the swelling goes down and this is where the risk of a blockage comes in. You need to give it the time to heal, and six weeks is the rule of thumb. You could maybe try something at five weeks, but be very careful, just a small amount and chew really, really well, and drink lots of fluids with it too. Make sure you keep well hydrated. You will be eating normally before you know it, just need a little patience, which I know isn't always easy. Just think how good it will taste when you get there!

Terry

P.S. Waiting will be worth it. It's really not worth the risk of a trip to the ER!

Homie With A Stomie NS

2 months here. Worrier and I understand your struggles with me. I just decided to give in and try what I wanted, except for fruit skins and nuts. And I do a little at a time.... I find ground beef and pasta is a great alternative. Pork not so much.... Hell, I even have coffee and a soda. Yes, it is liquidity for a few hours but no other discomforts... You don't know if you don't try..... You got this, girl.

BillB
Reply to TerryLT

Diabetic info.... No more gas. I have an ileostomy and am a diabetic, so I always used an artificial sweetener and always had to deal with a lot of gas in my bag. This went on for years. Just recently, I switched to using sugar because of all the negative things I read about artificial sweeteners. Amazing, no more gas.

BillB
Reply to Newbie28607

Please follow their advice. Things will get better in time. Have patience. One piece of advice: as you recover, be very careful with lifting things because your abdominal muscles are very weak due to surgery. Ask about strengthening exercises and also a Parastomal ostomy belt. I did not do anything to prevent developing a hernia, and ended up with a hernia. Now I have this bulge. I am a male, so I may have been lifting heavier items than a woman, but be careful. Good luck.

Walkermimi

I have had my colostomy for 4 weeks now and am so nervous to eat. I'm bored with eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches and yogurt… but I don't know where to go next…