Swimming with a Stoma Bag: Tips?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
Looking for tips and advice on swimming with a stoma bag?
Hev

Can anyone tell me if swimming is okay with a stoma bag? Any tips?

Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Hi Hev, swimming with an ostomy is perfectly okay! It was one of my favorite things to do prior to my ostomy, and it took me a while to work up the courage, but I am back at it and it feels great, and no problems. My biggest concern was finding a swimsuit that somehow camouflaged my pouch. I actually found a seamstress who sewed an embellishment onto the front of my suit, looks like it was made that way, and totally disguises the slight 'bulge' underneath. No real tips or tricks other than that. I know many suits already are made with a sort of blousy front, so would be perfect for someone with an ostomy. I just try to go when I don't expect much output, and of course empty my pouch just before I go. Go for it and have fun, and let me know how it goes for you!

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
RaenotRay

Hi Hev!

I received my ileostomy in August. Swimming has always been a huge part of my life, so I wanted to be able to continue doing it.
At the end of January, I went to Cancun for 12 days. I spent 6-8 hours in the pool every day. What made a difference for me was a neoprene belt made by Stealthbelt. I wore a 2-piece system horizontally in the belt. It has a little zippered opening to empty and keeps the majority of your belt dry. It also provides really great support. I did also wear half-moon barrier strips for that extra protection around my flange.
As Terry already said, finding your perfect swimsuit can be tricky. A high-waisted bottom and fun bikini top worked for me. I chose bottoms that were black so if my belt peeked out it would blend in.

-Rae

lovely

Here are some nice swimsuits that will cover your ostomy. I don't know why it says access denied. Just click on the site and it will open.

https://www.macys.com/shop/womens-clothing/womens-swimwear/Swim_bottoms/Skirted?id=8699

Justbreathe

I swim well and dance in our pool almost every day for a minimum of 1 hour. I continually move, dance, and hop without stopping and have not had any issues with my one-piece pouch at all. I have several swimsuits, but since it's a private pool, I don't worry about appearance. However, I do have a suit that is the short dress style, which I wear if we have company.... There are lots of pretty swimsuits out there, so find yourself one and

GO SWIMMIN' !!!

Best wishes....

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Go for it, Kev. Best thing for you!!

Past Member

I have had an ileostomy for over 30 years, and it has not stopped me from swimming. As a matter of fact, I have traveled around the world with my ostomy and if there was a place to swim, I swam. The only thing I cannot do with my ostomy is to wear a bikini because of the location of my stoma. Actually, my ileostomy gave me my life back. Hope this helps you!

Phyllis Rovner