Sweating Under Appliance: Any Advice?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Pinkie pooh

Sweating... I like going outside, working in the yard, or just hanging out. But when I sweat, I sweat everywhere. I always seem to end up having to replace my appliance because the sweat under my appliance causes leaks. So, therefore, I don't go out much during real hot days. Does anyone else have or had this problem? Do you have advice on what to do if there is anything that can be done? I have a colostomy since 08/2015 and have been in and out of the hospital for one thing or another, so I really didn't start going out till now. The sweat makes me just want to stay in. I can get a week, sometimes longer, with my appliance if I stay cool.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Hi Pinkie, I have not had this problem and there are times when I sweat a lot. I work out at the gym three times and when I swim, I also spend a couple of good 30-minute sessions in the steam room, where I really sweat. I'm wondering if it's your appliance. When I was using Coloplast pouches, I would have the flange come away from my skin, and had leaks often. Since I switched to Hollister, I have not had that problem at all. I know there are members who swear by Coloplast, so it just goes to show that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Maybe time to try another product?

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ausbornfarms

I use Convatec pouches and they actually seem to adhere better when I've sweated. Coloplast did not work for me when sweating or showering. Why don't you give Convatec a try? It has the best adhesive, in my opinion.

Pinkie pooh
Reply to TerryLT

Hi Terry. I too use Hollister (2 pc) love those. The sweat is also causing me to breakout under my appliance. I do use a Brava protective seal around my stoma before putting on my flange, do you? I also spray Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film before putting on the seal or flange. One more thing, I have a loop colostomy, but I don't think that really matters as far as appliances sweating. Showering and getting it wet doesn't bother the flange, it's just the sweating underneath in the heat.

Thanks for the input

Pinkie pooh
Reply to ausbornfarms

Thanks for that advice, can't hurt to try.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
charlie

I have an ileostomy and use the Hollister 2-piece. I had a couple of bag covers made (from cotton), and this definitely makes a difference.

Axl
Reply to Pinkie pooh

Hello Pinkie

I don't have any trouble with the heat, but I have always used the Cavillion spray as a preventative measure. I used to need it for irritated skin. However, this year I have left it out of my routine as I do not need it. I noticed straight away that the appliance has a superior adhesive grip without it on my skin. I use Braun appliances and a Salts seal.

If you haven't already and don't really need the spray, leave it off for a quick comparison. You never know...

Pinkie pooh
Reply to Axl

I'll try leaving the spray off. What's a salt seal?

Thanks Axl

Bettyboophume

Hi. I go to the gym on a near-daily basis and sweat a lot. I have an ileostomy since the summer of 2018. I did have issues with irritation and leaks at first with a very liquid output at the beginning, but this has resolved. I currently use a one-piece Convatec Esteem with an Eakin barrier ring that I stick on the bag before I put it on. I always use a skin protector wipe before the bag and give it a few seconds to dry. If I'm swimming, I put on external barrier strips on the outside edge. This works well for me. Try other setups. Most companies will give you free samples to try.

david.edward.mcguire

Hey Pinky, I use the Coloplast Sensura Mio one-piece pouch. I like to use a medical adhesive to secure it. 3M has a convenient spray that works well. On the other hand, I recently was forced to switch to a product made by Nu-Hope (cat. no. 2400). It is literally a medical-grade contact/rubber cement. Pros: waterproof and makes a very good bond. Cons: messy, takes 6 minutes to apply to both skin and appliance, and let dry before applying, so I stand over the toilet just in case. The applicator is a cotton ball on the end of a metal wire that is fixed to the cap, which is reused each application and stored in the bottle that you screw the cap on. Ugh, seems like contamination to me, so I DIY an applicator. I have tough skin, but I could see it potentially irritating sensitive skin. Life is a series of trade-offs. I always feel better if I know I have options. Choosing one helps me feel like I have control of something, regardless of the outcome. Hope the info helps

TerryLT
Reply to Pinkie pooh

My ileostomy is also a loop. I've always been told (by more than one ostomy nurse) that an appliance will adhere better to dry, clean skin, without any spray or film. My understanding is that if you don't need the spray (i.e., your skin is not irritated or degraded) you should not use it. Your appliance will stick to you better and for longer. Give it a try. And let us know how it works out for you. Good luck!

Terry

P.S. I wear a one-piece Hollister, #8958. I used to wear the two-piece Hollister, and the flanges are quite different in each. I get much longer wear time (6 days) and don't have leaks, whereas with the two-piece, my wear time was shorter and I got occasional leaks.

Axl
Reply to Pinkie pooh

Salts is just a different brand of the Brava protective seal that you use.

AlexT
Reply to Axl

I wear a Hollister bag/barrier ring and I read that Hollister doesn't recommend using a barrier spray or wipe. So, I asked my ostomy nurse this question about barrier wipe or spray a couple months back and her answer was this.....1) Older style bag adhesive was so hard on the skin that you had to use a barrier wipe/spray cause of the damage the adhesive would do to your skin. 2) Nowadays the adhesive is much more skin friendly and it is not recommended to use a barrier wipe/spray unless your skin is damaged.

Pinkie pooh
Reply to AlexT

Interesting... but you do you use the ring, I'll give it a shot to see if I get better results.

Thanks AlexT

Pinkie pooh
Reply to david.edward.mcguire

Thanks David, I have gotten some very good feedback. I have lots of options to try, hopefully one of them works.

AlexT
Reply to Pinkie pooh

Yes, I do use a barrier ring. I forgot to mention that I did email Hollister also with the question about using the barrier wipe/spray. They also said they don't recommend using either unless your skin is irritated.

Pinkie pooh
Reply to AlexT

Wow, so very interesting. Thanks for checking that. I'll try that when I change my appliance and see how that works. It will be seven years come August and I've always used both. I had a peristomal hernia operation in November 2021 and have had nothing but problems. I believe it has pushed through close to my colostomy. I did what I was supposed to do, which was pretty much nothing, wore my belts, and at first, I thought it looked smaller, but it looks like half a grapefruit again. Boy, did I stray away from my subject, sorry.

Thanks again AlexT

AlexT

You're welcome.

Pinkie pooh

Convatec is the winner. As much as I was hesitant about changing, it was a good change. My Hollister is great for cooler weather, but Convatec is working great for the heat.

Thank you all for all your advice and help!

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi Pinky, have you tried the adhesive strips around the edge of your appliances or 3M tape?