Rectal Mucus Issues: Seeking Advice on Symptoms and Possible Infection

Replies
Views
freedancer

I would like to ask a question to those of you who have had full colon removal. I know that for those of us who have a permanent ileostomy and our rectum still intact that mucus production is an occasional issue. Most of the time, I just deal with it as it rarely causes any issues. However, for the last two days, I have experienced an uncomfortable feeling like an urgency to have a bowel movement and a burning sensation. The mucus is blood-stained and has a very unpleasant odor. I have also had spasms in my low back, nausea, headache, and fever between 99.9 and 102 that comes and goes. Is it possible to get an infection in the rectum area that would cause these symptoms? I have emailed my VA physician for guidance. Have any of you folks had these issues, and if so, what action did you take and what was discovered? I have asked my VA physician to try to get me in to see the Gastric Doctor on staff to have him take a look and make sure everything is OK. I have had my ileostomy since February 2018. The surgeon left quite a bit of my rectum behind, so I am concerned that something might be wrong in that area. Thank you for listening to me. I value this site because the members take our questions seriously and are always willing to offer suggestions and help. I can say that I have never had these particular symptoms before in regards to this issue.

patrickrichardson1946

Hi freedancer, I have a colostomy and I have frequent rectal discharges, a real nuisance but has to be coped with. I have had none of the issues you are having. Hopefully someone else on this site will have the answer to your problem. Failing that, continue with seeking medical advice from professionals. Best wishes, Patrick.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello freedancer.

I have similar problems periodically, but I self-diagnose it as an extension of what was wrong down there before my stoma. However, I do think you are doing the right thing asking for it to be investigated as it could be symptomatic of a number of more serious things. 

I hope all goes well for you

Best wishes

Bill

Meadow Snow

Deffo get it checked out, freedancer. Thankfully, I never had that kind of problem after my subtotal colectomy, but I do know of someone who has had it. There's a YouTuber called Hannah Witton, she had a UC flare-up about 4 years ago now, which resulted in her stoma. Within the first year of her stoma, she had this problem, and the stoma nurse told her she was having a flare-up in her rectum. She was prescribed these pellets which she had to put up her bum, and it helped calm everything down. Her channel is mainly dedicated to sex education, but there's plenty of stoma-related content on there as well.

Oldostomate

Freelancer, I have an ileostomy with cancer in the lower part of the bowel that is left. I have discharge almost every time I empty the bag and yes, it can be very stinky. I do pass some blood-tinged mucus too, but as I said, I know I have cancer in that segment. As a matter of fact, that is why I had the ileostomy put back in after taking it down. I strongly encourage you to follow the path you are on and have it checked ASAP. The passing of mucus is normal, but I'm not as sure about the blood... Wishing you the best,

Me

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
hambo999

Hi there, I have a permanent ileostomy with a rectal stump remaining. I usually pass a relatively solid bit of mucus about every 5 or 6 weeks. After that, it's loose mucus which is quite smelly. I treat this with Budenofalk rectal foam, probably for about a week or more. The daily mucus slowly abates and stops, and then I lose the urge to empty my stump for a few weeks. Then the cycle starts again. I also occasionally have had a small showing of blood, but your safest bet is to go and get checked over. I hope this is of some help. Google Budenofalk and see if you think it could help.

lovely

I have a lot of mucus discharge and it has a bad smell. I have not had any blood in it. I am glad you are going to get it checked out. Please let us know how it goes. Best wishes

Past Member

I too have the rectal stump remaining. The mucus builds up over about 10 weeks. I do get a pressure feeling when eventually it is due to come away.

Hopefully by now, Freedancer, you have an appointment to see the gastric doctor.