Pain in the Anus: Seeking Advice on Nerve Damage and Treatment Options

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Nana64

I am trying to gather as much information as possible in regard to my pain in my anus. It's very specific and on the right side. My surgeon felt it was nerve damage. I begin to read about the pneudual (sp?) nerve that goes to the rectum and during pelvic surgery, it can be damaged. After 8 months of excruciating pain, not wanting to take pain medications, he sent me to an anesthesiologist (sp?) to have a nerve block. I have had two, one recently. I still have pain in that part of my anus, especially when I have to irrigate every 7 days or so for the mucus from my rectal stump. I am trying to find out how many people suffer from this. I can't keep getting nerve blocks, and I feel like they work at first for about a week, then they stop working. I am wondering if it's nerve pain or something else like a fistula, or something to do with the inner/outer sphincters? I am so at a loss, but perhaps someone here will have the same thing and tell me what works/worked for them. Thank you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi there Nana, I had to respond to this because I had exactly the same problem. It lasted for years with me and made my life hell for years. They gave me numbing gel, like Lidocaine in a plastic syringe to squirt up there. It helped for flying and driving. Also got a steroid foam in a four-inch compressed container that you also squirt up there. Mine is too tight to use the applicator so I put it on my finger and get it inside as much as possible.

Interesting that you feel it on one side... Same here!! It felt scratchy, like there was a ting sharp object scratching just inside but only on one side of my anus... that's just how it felt. Never got an explanation that made sense? I'm not sure why but the discharge and the pain just suddenly stopped as mysteriously as it started???

I had to bring a change of underwear and pants at all times and the pain was constant. My American doc told my brother that there was no reason for the pain and I was imagining it!!... while I curled in a ball every night in severe pain. He had my brother thinking that I was or could be making it all up! What balls to have an attitude like that. My bro was my go-to family for medical.

The steroid foam will help. I'm in Ireland so the name will be different. Ask your gastro doc for the US version. It brings down inflammation inside the anus.

It was such a relief when it finally just stopped, for no particular reason???

Eamon

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Justbreathe
Reply to Anonymous

Yes, those "highly trained professionals" also known as doctors - some of them (not all) are truly another source of our pain in the ass.
Hopefully Nana, your pain will disappear as Eamon's did. Hoping you will find something or someone to help you.
Wishing the best for you!

Just breathe

Bill

Hello Nana64.

Periodically I get these type of pains and sometimes they are caused by the build-up of mucus. However, the reason for my stoma was because of a prolapsed anus, so I have  a logical suspicion that this is probably still a/the problem, but it is not now being exacerbated by faeces. I am reluctant to get professional help on this one because I found that on previous occasions the doctors simply did not know what they were looking for, or how to look for it.  Eventually I stumbled on a doctor that examined my anus whilst getting me to stand/squat on the toilet rim. This was the only position that showed it up as an internal  prolapse.

Go figure!

Best wishes

bill

Past Member

Hi again, something I forgot to mention. A very important factor, I believe, that I left out is bacterial infection. I kept asking my gastro in Dublin to test for infection inside the anus. I had a J-Pouch but had it disconnected. The pouch and the rectum, anus were left intact. I kept getting pouchitis and used Flagyl to fight it. Whenever I got pouchitis, the pain and irritation, as well as the discharge from my anus, got worse eventually. Someone on the site mentioned that they use Flagyl and also Ciprofloxacin (Cipro). I definitely saw a big difference. I haven't had any of the problems since the last time I took them, almost two years!!!

I was tired when I wrote the previous message and it's so long since I used Cipro with Flagyl that I forgot!!! That is a good sign when I can actually forget that horrible pain in the butt. Even if you do not have a J-Pouch inside to cause pouchitis, you might benefit from this combination. Ask your doc. I think the Cipro was really the key. I keep some of both in my supplies so I can attack it as soon as I feel it coming on.

For me, it felt as if there was a sharp or rough-edged object about two or three inches inside scratching the lining when I got painful cramps down there, and much worse on the left side. All of that is gone and it is so nice.

Eamon

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Nana64
Reply to Anonymous

Thank you Maloof.

Here in the states, one must have "signs" of an infection other than just pain. Long story, when I was in the hospital 8 months earlier, I had to beg for them to give me antibiotics for a small abscess. So, although you could be partially right about the bacterial issue, I have no other signs such as fever, malaise, or elevated white blood count. I have had my second pudendal epidural nerve block. If this one doesn't take, I plan to ask for an ablation of that nerve. Thank you.

Nana64
Reply to Anonymous

Email

So sorry you went through this and I understand completely. I don't hurt if I am laying on my right side, I don't hurt if I sit on a heating pad. I do hurt if I stand for a while and must shift from every position while standing. They do think it's possible nerve damage, 2 epidurals behind me. As I stated in my comments to Magoo, I am seriously thinking to have the pudendal nerve ablated. It's miserable and here in the states, it's very difficult to get good health care. Thank you and glad you're doing better. I knew there had to be others out here besides just me.

Past Member

Hi, I once had a big abscess in the anus but I think that was from a bad pouch scope. Seems he tore the lining of the anus. That was extreme pain, passing out.

The other constant pain was helped greatly after the Cipro. Have they swabbed the inside of your anus? I hope your nerve procedure works for you if you do it.

Magoo