Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,891 members

Wafer not stick around stoma

Sun May 22, 2022 3:23 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Hey y'all so I had a melt down today.😣 I am so upset. The leak I had has gotten worse. And today with my change the wafer part where you cut the hole no doesn't even stick right around the stoma( sticks everywhere else)..and the red ring right around stoma is getting worse. My stoma is flush. I have literally tried all that I can think of ..  I am allergic to every brand but coloplast, I've tried convex  wafers and rings , the convex flip, regular rings which I can't use put me in the hospital twice, paste, and silicone gel, for the redness.. barrier wipe and powder, marathon.. I don't know what to do.. I have a stoma nurse but she isn't very helpful says she can't think of anything else besides what I've tried 🤷 anyone have or had this issue and have any success on finding a solution?

Sun May 22, 2022 3:36 pm

Have you contacted Coloplast directly they have people that deal with this stuff directly, 

Care Advisor Hours
• Monday-Friday 8:00am-6:00pm Central Time

Contact Information
• Bowel Care: 1-855-605-7594 or email ****

• Continence Care: 1-866-226-6362 or email ****

• Ostomy Care: 1-877-858-2656 or email

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,891 members
Sun May 22, 2022 4:02 pm

Hi Beth , I feel your pain , literally . I get this ring of Raw , Weepy  flesh for an inch or more  around the Soma sometimes . 

      I find that taking a long hot shower with Stoma exposed makes a huge difference . The skin changes from red to pink . I carefully wipe and shave all around the Stoma during and after my shower . Stay in the showere as long as you can letting the  hot water stream over the Stoma area , I use the spray nozzle directly on my skin   and Stoma .

    When finished I turn the heat on and lie flat ( towels under butt for Spillage)  on my bed  with the belly exposed to the air to dry out the raw weepy circle around the Stoma . 

    I use  4  Inch Eakin soft Seals  under the Wafer . I wait as long as my Peristalsis activity will  allow before I continue . The Eakin Seal will begin healing the raw flesh  in just a few hours .    Put the Wafer on top of the Eakin Seal and complete the bag change . 

    These Seals are amazing , they start work healing as soon as you put it on . Exposing it to the open air is very effective in getting it healed . This works for me but it should work for anyone .

Magoo ☘👍

Sun May 22, 2022 4:12 pm


Cplumber wrote:

Have you contacted Coloplast directly they have people that deal with this stuff directly, 

Care Advisor Hours
• Monday-Friday 8:00am-6:00pm Central Time

Contact Information
• Bowel Care: 1-85...

Yes I have we have been in constant communication .. they can't figure it out either cause I've tried all their products .. 

Sun May 22, 2022 4:14 pm


Mayoman wrote:

Hi Beth , I feel your pain , literally . I get this ring of Raw , Weepy  flesh for an inch or more  around the Soma sometimes . 

      I find that taking a long hot shower with Stoma exposed...

Hey Magoo,

 The rest of my skin is fine but I will still do the same thing I air her out as long as I possibly can before she starts moving .  The red ring is literally right around the stoma it's from output from leaking 😣 .. and I wish I could use rings but I can't for two reason one they put me in the hospital and two my stoma doesn't protude .. my stoma will disappear under my flat wafer 

Sun May 22, 2022 4:46 pm

Hi Beth, 

I hope you get some relief soon, your stoma nurse should see you post haste and help you to apply the next appliance, that’s pretty much the job of a stoma nurse when you are having troubles. 
My apologies for not having any advice to give, I have gone through phases where I can apply my new pouch like an old pro then other times can’t get the damn thing on or to last longer than 48 hours. 
I’m certainly no expert so I’ll shut up now but I am thinking of you and want nothing more than for you to find a solution and relief very soon.

Abe/Paul



Last edited by Abefroman1969 on Mon May 23, 2022 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sun May 22, 2022 4:52 pm

I see what you mean Beth . Why did the Ring put you in the hospital ?  Really curious . Are you allergic  ?? 

There are Two inch Seals that I have used when I get this problem .   Warm up the 2 inch so it's nice and soft and moldable . Put it  on first over your Stoma . Then the  4 Inch Seal goes on top of that , get this warm and soft also . The 4 inch  on top will push the  2 Inch  down onto your skin , into the Dip around the Stoma . 

  I'll add below in case it might help someone else .  Open up  a Vitamin E   Liquid Caps capsule  and and squeeze it out onto your problem area ,  gently rub in the liquid onto the raw skin . Let it sit for as long as you can and wipe it off before applying  the  2  Inch Seal .   I used  the Vit E liquid on all my wounds and it really helps healing to begin .

   My Stoma is pulled in around the edges so is it was always a problem . Using the smaller  Eakin Seal  underneath always gives a tighter  seal  and usually works to heal the skin .

Magoo ☘

   

Sun May 22, 2022 5:05 pm

Magoo,

Thank you for the vitamin e tip. I will have to try that... Does it have a problem sticking after you wipe it off? 

The rings swell up too much around my stoma ( even with some room) my stoma get strangled .I have tried skin protective sheets too they are too thick for my stoma 🥺

Sun May 22, 2022 5:18 pm

I get it !  If I take off the  Wafer  with the 2 +4  inch  Eakin seals  the same day I put them on I find that the seals have melted and merged but the  smaller one has melted into that troublesome Gap/ Dip  that is around the Stoma  and  this usually works for me . 

   So sorry you have this problem . I hope you can find a solution Beth  ☘👼

Sun May 22, 2022 5:25 pm

Thank you mayoman I am sure trying everything and searching..

Sun May 22, 2022 7:18 pm

I'm sorry this is happening to you Beth. I use Brava alcohol free paste (Coloplast) around my stoma. But I guess if you are already speaking with Coloplast they would of suggested it. So I will just send loads of love and positive vibes your way my friend. ❤️🥰🤗

Sun May 22, 2022 7:39 pm


Abefroman1969 wrote:

Hi Beth, 

I hope you get some relief soon, your stoma nurse should see you post haste and help you to apply the next appliance, that’s pretty much the job of a stoma nurse when you are having t...

Thank you abeforeman for all your support I really appreciate it .🙂

Sun May 22, 2022 7:41 pm


SallyK wrote:

I'm sorry this is happening to you Beth. I use Brava alcohol free paste (Coloplast) around my stoma. But I guess if you are already speaking with Coloplast they would of suggested it. So I will jus...

Hey Sallyk,

 I did try there paste which the first time it seemed to work then the next 3 times it didn't and then one other time it did ,then my stoma had so weird reaction lol then I held off for a while tried again 🤷 no idea .. I know it doesn't make any sense .. 

Sun May 22, 2022 7:43 pm


Beth22 wrote:

Hey Sallyk,

 I did try there paste which the first time it seemed to work then the next 3 times it didn't and then one other time it did ,then my stoma had so weird reaction lol then I held off f...

😟 It must be so frustrating. 

Mon May 23, 2022 2:19 am


Mayoman wrote:

I see what you mean Beth . Why did the Ring put you in the hospital ?  Really curious . Are you allergic  ?? 

There are Two inch Seals that I have used when I get this problem .   Warm up the...

Good advice Mayoman. Are Eakin seals different than the seals made by other manufacturers. Not everything is available here and they cost ten times as much as in the US. Are Coloplast seals just as good? What's in Eakin that has skin healing properties? Best wishes.

Axl
Mon May 23, 2022 4:19 am

Hi Beth

Have you tried this, worked well for me

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_LB/p/d/v000123657/

There was a fella on this site that used small pieces of  "3m micropore tape" directly over the irritated skin  underneath the appliance until it had time to heal, the tape sticks to moist skin and the appliance sticks to the back of the tape, he said it worked  very well, cheap and readily available at most pharmacies. I tried to find the thread but couldn't locate it. May give you some relief until you get it sorted.

You will get a handle on this, will just take a little time unfortunately.

Axl

Mon May 23, 2022 5:00 am


Mayoman wrote:

Hi Beth , I feel your pain , literally . I get this ring of Raw , Weepy  flesh for an inch or more  around the Soma sometimes . 

      I find that taking a long hot shower with Stoma exposed...

hello all if you can get ahold of this it is call CORONA ointment i use this every time i get that nasty rash or if my skin is red from having to wait for changing my bag you can find it on line i use it for lots of other things also like cracked hands on my feet when they dry out i put it on baby diaper rashes and its gone if you can sit without pouch on and rap towels incase the ass decides to talk crap you can clean up easy when you let air get to your skin it helps with the healing good luck many adventures all ready

Mon May 23, 2022 6:48 am

Hi, So I heat up my pouches with blowdryer. Makes them stickier! N I have a flat stoma too. I use 1 piece drainable Hollister mini pouch 88725, It has a super soft flexible flange that helps with flat stomas. 🤞🏻

Mon May 23, 2022 7:13 am


Cat6 wrote:

Hi, So I heat up my pouches with blowdryer. Makes them stickier! N I have a flat stoma too. I use 1 piece drainable Hollister mini pouch 88725, It has a super soft flexible flange that helps with f...

Hey cat,

 I use the blow dryer trick too 😁isn't it wonderful that way.. I tried Hollister I was so allergic it was crazy . I am so happy though that Hollister works for you with you being flush too and having no issues that's amay

Mon May 23, 2022 7:16 am


SallyK wrote:

😟 It must be so frustrating. 

Hey Sally,

It really  is I had my melt downs yesterday lol trying to keep chucking and I have to go back to fighting for a soultion.. some how some way I will find one lol there has to be

Mon May 23, 2022 7:18 am


Axl wrote:

Hi Beth

Have you tried this, worked well for me

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_LB/p/d/v000123657/

There was a fella on this site that used small pieces of  "3m micropore tape" directly over the irrit...

Hey axl,

That is great news to hear.. sounds hopeful. I have not tried that yet but I am definitely going to. And the wafer sticks the back of the tape ooo I am intrigued.gonna try this !!

Mon May 23, 2022 7:23 am


weewee wrote:

hello all if you can get ahold of this it is call CORONA ointment i use this every time i get that nasty rash or if my skin is red from having to wait for changing my bag you can find it on line i ...

Wee-wee,

 I like you sense of humor in there .. in case your ass trys to crap on you I love it lol 😆  some days I can let her sit out for a while a good while and other times she acts all nice and quiet and BOOM  she starts rolling after like 3 mins .. but the cream do you put it on leave it for a while and wipe it off? 

Mon May 23, 2022 7:26 am


Axl wrote:

Hi Beth

Have you tried this, worked well for me

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_LB/p/d/v000123657/

There was a fella on this site that used small pieces of  "3m micropore tape" directly over the irrit...

Hey axl,

I just clicked on the link you posted.. is it the Calivon spray you tried ? And I just looked up the tape you mentioned and I am highly allergic to that tape ..bbbummmeerrr darn it !!  

Mon May 23, 2022 7:29 am


bowsprit wrote:

Good advice Mayoman. Are Eakin seals different than the seals made by other manufacturers. Not everything is available here and they cost ten times as much as in the US. Are Coloplast seals just as...

Hi , the soft sqishy material the Eakin Seal  is made from is the same material they use on Diabetic Ulcers . This material promotes healing of Weepy / bloody  raw flesh. It is infused with Vitamins etc to help regrow Skin .  I put a new clean piece of this on a cut I had on my finger , it healed in  1/4  the time it should have take. !! 

    All these Seals probably have the same  makeup but I've only use Eakin .  When I use the  2 inch around the Stoma  and put the 4 inch on top  there is a new layer of skin grown in one day !!!  I peeled it back to have a look at the progress  and was pleasantly surprised !!🙂.

    The Hollister Bags I use have a stiff plastic  pad with the sticky stuff on the underside. This stiff plastic is curved In  at the hole for the  Stoma  so it pushes down around the edge of the Stoma , forcing the 2 Inch Seal down around the Stoma Edge  , creating a tight seal  . The 4 Inch seal secures everything in place . Then a strip of  Micropore 3M  tape on all 4  sides .

This has virtually stopped leaking when I do it very carefully . 

Magoo . ☘

Axl
Mon May 23, 2022 7:35 am


Beth22 wrote:

Hey axl,

I just clicked on the link you posted.. is it the Calivon spray you tried ? And I just looked up the tape you mentioned and I am highly allergic to that tape ..bbbummmeerrr darn it !!  

Yes it's the spray, I used it for a long time for a while there and many here have used it, less is more and spray it on the back of your hand to get a feel for it And your allergic to the tape, damn ...

Mon May 23, 2022 10:15 am


Beth22 wrote:

Wee-wee,

 I like you sense of humor in there .. in case your ass trys to crap on you I love it lol 😆  some days I can let her sit out for a while a good while and other times she acts all nic...

hello

yes if you can let the cream absorb in long time is best then use soap and water to clean up. they also make this stuff that is called meda honey you can buy this also it isnt cheap but it also helps with healing. one of the things i have learned is sometimes you just have to sit with out covering your stoma, letting air heal the skin all the shit we have to use just to hope the seal stays on. it is like makeup after awhile you need to do a deep cleaning to get the skin good and clean i use hand sanitizer the strongest on the shelf for the whole time i have had this ostomy its been a pain so believe me when you think life wants to take a crap on you we have first person view of life taking a crap on us

Mon May 23, 2022 12:58 pm


Mayoman wrote:

Hi , the soft sqishy material the Eakin Seal  is made from is the same material they use on Diabetic Ulcers . This material promotes healing of Weepy / bloody  raw flesh. It is infused with Vitam...

Ok. I get it. Thanks.

Mon May 23, 2022 1:37 pm

Hey Beth, I hate to say it but the real solution to this is to see an Ostomy nurse or even a Gastro who can hook you up with a surgeon to do a revision to pull the stoma out about an inch.  I had the exact same problem and that was the best thing I ever did for myself. It is a very minor revision and you can be out next day. When I did it, I took full responsibility and signed myself out of the hospital on the same day of the revision. I never had a problem after that 30 + years. Mike

Mon May 23, 2022 1:45 pm


Superme wrote:

Hey Beth, I hate to say it but the real solution to this is to see an Ostomy nurse or even a Gastro who can hook you up with a surgeon to do a revision to pull the stoma out about an inch.  I had ...

Supreme,

I agree.. I went to my surgeon over 2 months ago  for that reason and he isn't going to , says she is working(her flow is good) so he isn't touching it stoma nurse say she looks healthy.. and tried telling them yes she is healthy and moving but uhhh nothing else works and it's leaking.. I am moving shortly so I will have to find another doctor. So you said you had your done ..how is it afterward.. is the healing and swelling the same as when you had the first surgery?

  . 

Mon May 23, 2022 5:03 pm

Hi Beth,  I've been reading through all this good advice you've been getting and all the strategies you have been trying.  I'm so sorry you are having to go through this.  It sounds like you have really tried pretty much everything, and I have to agree with Paul that a revision might be your only answer.  Isn't it funny (not funny, ha ha) how your surgeon says she won't touch it because it's working.  I guess it's easy to say that if you don't live with a stoma yourself!  If you are moving anyway, another surgeon will hopefully be a little more compassionate and use some empathy.  In the meantime, it sounds like you've got a few more tricks to try out.  I sure hope you can find something to get you through until then.  Sorry that I don't have anything else to suggest.  It sounds like you are hanging onto your sense of humour though, so good for you!

Terry

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours