Leaking from pancaking with Coloplast Sensura Mio - Need advice on moldable rings and alternative bag brands

Replies
Views
Bliss

Hello everyone, it is nice to meet you all! It has been three weeks since my colostomy was installed. I started out with a Hollister two-piece system while in the hospital and for the most part have had pretty good luck with their equipment - no leaks, some pancaking, and 4 to 5 days between equipment changing. But that being said, I am not very fond of Hollister bags. They make so much noise and they are so thin (although they do burp nicely) :-) I have been trying Coloplast Sensura Mio two-click system and each time I do, after a day, I get a leak under my moldable ring from pancaking. I love Coloplast bags (if you can love any colostomy products), they are so thoughtful in their design, feel, and color, so I really want them to work. For pancaking, I am trying to drink lots of water, I cover my vent with tape so some air stays in the bag, and I push my output down as well, but so far nothing seems to help. Another difference between the two is that the flange on the Hollister has a hard 2 1/4" ring attachment and the Coloplast has a 1.5" ring attachment to the top part of the bag. Could this make a difference? I just put on a new Coloplast Sensura Mio, but I used a Hollister Adapt ring instead of the Coloplast moldable ring that I had been using. Has anyone had better luck with different brands of moldable rings? Also, does anyone have suggestions of a company that has nicer bags than Hollister?

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions you might have.

AlexT

Do you use lubricant in the bag? I use 1 piece Hollister bags and I really don't notice any noise. The only bad blowout I've had in my 14 months of sporting this fine accessory was while trying the Sensura Mio. I couldn't stand that there wasn't a cloth sticky edge on it like Hollister has. To me, it felt like there wasn't much holding it on. I use the Adapt barrier rings and have tried the Eakin rings too. Both work well. I'm very hard on my bag because of my work and stuff I do, Hollister has held up great, no complaints really.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,438 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bliss

Hi AlexT, yes I use a lubricant in the bag but still seems to stick. Maybe I am not putting enough in? Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it is so appreciated as it helps me navigate this crazy new way of life!

AlexT
Reply to Bliss

You're welcome. I have issues with pancaking too. I haven't found the perfect solution yet.

Bill

Hello Bliss.

I used to have so much of a problem with bags/ leaks/ pancaking  etc. that eventually I designed and made my own baseplates, which have been 'tweeked' over several years until they are almost right for my purposes.

However, I note that you have a colostomy, so I would urge you to look into the possibility of irrigation. They told me that I could do this procedure after 6 weeks from the operation, but other's have have different advice.  Irrigation (if it works for you), might enable you to do away with bags altogether and free up your life.  There are numerous videos about it on you tube and there are plenty of people on here who will no doubt give advice and support if needed.  You will need to discuss this option with the medics before trying it but it is well worth looking into.

Best wishes

Bill  

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
SallyK

Welcome Bliss. I have had my colostomy since March 2020. I use the Coloplast Sensura Mio convex two-piece click system. I apply Coloplast Brava Paste around the opening in the wafer before applying it. I also use Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film Wipes on my skin where the wafer will go before applying it. I cover the vent with tape and use a lubricating deodorant in the pouch. I think the reason I don't have pancaking is that I wear loose clothing, so there is nothing snug against my pouch. Good luck with everything.

Bliss

Hi Bill, thank you so much for responding. At first, I didn't think I was interested in irrigation, but as I get used to things, I have definitely changed my mind on looking at it as an option and will pursue it further when the time is right. :-)

Bliss

Hi SallyK, thanks for all your help. I haven't tried the paste yet but will order a sample to try and see if that helps. So far, I have been wearing looser pants but I do hope someday to wear my jeans again. :-) Do you cut your own holes or do you use the pre-cut ones? What size adapter ring do you use if you don't mind me asking?

SallyK
Reply to Bliss

Hi Bliss, I do cut my own holes. I'm not perfectly round. I don't use an adapter ring. I only use the paste.

RaenotRay

Hi Bliss!

I never dealt with pancaking much, but I wanted to welcome you! I live in Washington as well. I'm up in Bellingham. Welcome neighbor!
-Rae

Bliss

Hi Rae and fellow Washingtonian! :-) It is nice to meet you. I just read your profile and what a bright warrior you are, your attitude inspires me! I too have endometriosis (although I wasn't 100% sure until my ostomy surgery as my surgeon found endometriosis on my colon which wasn't surprising at all but it just reinforced all the other problems that endo has caused). I hope your healing is going well and that you continue to get stronger every day. Teresa

elledubuque

I like the Coloplast look too, but I was also having issues with pancaking. I did all the things like covering the filter, using lubricant, and getting a little air in the bag. It seems like the filter does way too good of a job sucking all the air out of the bag and shrink-wrapping my stoma like the yuckiest little piece of meat at the butcher counter!

I had fewer problems with a convex baseplate and just wiping my finger around it from the outside to help my poo move down into the bag. I also made sure to lubricate the baseplate and not just the bag.

I just called Coloplast to get a sample of a bag without a filter. So far, so good, but here's the shitty (ha!) part... they don't make an opaque bag without a filter. I don't get why, neither did the rep. One of the main benefits of them is that the fabric on their bag looks and feels nicer, as well as doesn't get soaking wet like Hollister if you are in the shower.

I hate looking at my stoma and poo all the time, so I finally ordered the two-piece Hollister. But I'm not thrilled about it. I only ordered ten bags, so it will be interesting to see if I end up back with Coloplast.

Rosebud65

Morning Bliss,

In the early days over 17 years ago, I had many leaks, whether it was down to the bag, baseplate, and would not stick very well on the abdomen. It has taken me a while, using different makes, but what I use is Sensura Mio Click, drainable bags, and Sensura baseplates.

Also, I know they say you don't need to change the baseplate for 3-4 days, yet I have always done it every night. I do this purely as in the early days it made me feel cleaner, so I stuck to it.... I use an adhesive remover to take the plate off, and for extra security, I use fusion barrier film and adhesive enhancer. It's always a good idea to use a barrier moisturizer around the stoma weekly to look after the skin.

Good luck and hope the leaks stop for you soon.

X

Marco789
Reply to AlexT

I also use the Hollister one-piece, 8578, with an Eakin barrier ring... works well for me, but I've yet to go back to work, so I haven't put it to the test. But I think it will be okay.

AlexT
Reply to Marco789

Good luck when you go back to work. I'm very hard on my bag/barrier ring with all the stooping/bending/climbing I do at work, no issues so far. I do wear a StealthBelt or a wrap when I'm at work.

Marco789
Reply to AlexT

Thanks, brother. I'm praying for the best outcome. I have a SIIL ostomy wrap which I really like a lot! It's made in Spain and it took weeks to arrive, but it is awesome! The only downside is that it's only available in vertical, while stealth belts are available in a horizontal configuration.

SIIL Ostomy Belt Ostomy Support Belt Sport Swimming Ostomy bag cover Inner Pocket to hold Ostomy Pouch https://a.co/d/hDv52OO

AlexT
Reply to Marco789

I wear a vertical StealthBelt and of course the wrap I wear is vertical also. I'm not sure I'd want a horizontal one, especially wearing a one-piece system. A two-piece system I could understand because you could attach your bag horizontally to begin with, but I think you'd cut off too much of a one-piece bag if you put it into a horizontal belt. At least that's my thought and I'm sticking to it. &zwj