Storing Ostomy Supplies in Hot Weather?

Replies
Views
SallyK

Hi everyone.

I joined a local ostomy group that has been meeting on Zoom monthly. For the first time, we will be meeting in person tomorrow... I am so excited! It will be a BBQ in a city park, so there will be washrooms (thank goodness). My question is how to store my emergency supplies during this event. I have heard of them being ruined if kept in a car in hot weather. It is supposed to get really hot tomorrow. Maybe put them in a small cooler with an ice pack? What do others do? Thanks in advance!

Mayoman

That sounds fantastic, Sally! Just what the doctor ordered! A cooler with dry ice would be advised. The sticky stuff will get very soft, even melt. They actually do stick better when they get hot and soft, but the sticky pad loses its thickness so breaks down faster. When very cold, they can be pretty hard to stick.

Have fun, Sally, and you can have my burger.... Magoo

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK
Reply to Mayoman

Haha, I don't eat red meat anymore (it doesn't agree with me). I hope they have some grilled chicken.

AlexT

I'm pretty sure for the short amount of time you'll be at your BBQ your supplies will be fine. Just don't let them sit in direct sunlight. I leave my supplies in a little bag in my truck 24/7 and haven't had an issue yet. Same with my little bag I carry at work, it stays in my truck when I'm not at work.

HenryM

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I've never, ever carried an emergency kit with supplies.  If I were to leave town, naturally, I'd bring my stuff with me.  But just around town, if I were ever to have a leak, for instance, I'd just excuse myself and go home to change.  I don't remember that ever happening. 

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
SallyK
Reply to HenryM

You are a rebel, Henry. LOL. The BBQ is 1 1/2 hours from home, so I will bring supplies.

AlexT
Reply to HenryM

Yeah. I have supplies in my truck and I carry supplies in my bag for work since I'm not anywhere close to being able to go home right away, but I've never used any of it. I also carry flushable wet wipes to clean the end of the bag while at work, which I use all the time.

Ritz

I just put a baggie in my purse with everything I need

SallyK
Reply to Ritz

That's an idea to just have a smaller (less stuff) supply bag to carry with me.

Mayoman
Reply to SallyK

I actually prefer chicken too, Sally. I find steak or even hamburger very... overly filling and it makes my belly uncomfortable. I love marinated chicken on the grill. For some unknown reason, I also love hot dogs with everything on it. They will have chicken for the star of the day... Sally!! ...you can have my chicken too. No BBQ here for a while, two weeks of rain in our future!!!

Magoo

Mayoman

I keep baggies with my spare baggies in my car, my backpack, in my jacket pocket!! All over the place. After a total blowout disaster in the security line at SFAirport, I also have a change of clothes in my backpack (saved me at the airport) and in my car...just in case.

I was driving my bro and his daughters to the hospital in the next town one time and disaster struck. The one and only time without a change of clothes. Someone suddenly said, "What is that smell!!!" It was soooo bad!!! I finished the drive with the windows open. I had to give the daughter some money to go to a store to get me some jeans and a shirt. I quickly ran into the hospital to change. I always carry a wardrobe change with me.

Magoo

Abefroman1969

Have fun!

SallyK
Reply to Abefroman1969

Thanks, Paul!

Mayoman

Have a great time today Sally... maybe Romeo will be there!!?... Concentrate on the chicken and getting a tan and play hard to get!!

Enjoy your day Sally and all your new friends

SallyK
Reply to Mayoman

Thanks Eamon!

AlexT

Go get 'em, tiger.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

LOL Thanks!