Bag-Free Shower: A Liberating Experience!

Replies
Views
Axl

I've been hearing a bit about this lately on here and thinking about it for a while and today was the day, bag off and into the shower, and yes it felt awesome. As I have an ileo, I was a bit concerned about how to quickly get dried off without leaking, but it went well. I think I stayed in the shower for 15 minutes. I was enjoying it that much... Will I do it again? Not until I work out how to go from wet to dry without risk, but I'm glad I tried it out. It was a great feeling.

Axl

Two bags

Glad to hear that!

I've been showering bagless since forever. I have an ileo and a uro. I put new bags on while standing in the shower after I've washed. Sometimes I get lucky and don't make much mess, with the urostomy, I can't really stop it dripping, but with my ileostomy, I've found that window of inactivity, for me, it's always in the morning, 1 hour after waking up, and before eating anything. You just gotta find your groove Axl, I realize not everyone can do this due to time restraints, but I'm retired, and have lots of time. I shower bagless, and change both my bags every 3 days, always dealing with the urostomy first, to avoid any cross contamination. Just find the best time of day or night that works best for you, when your ileostomy is quiet.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Charleston man

Nothing more refreshing than having your bag off and having the water run over your body. Been doing it for 12 years.

Panor

I have been showering bag-free for over 20 years. Using a simple product called "Stoma Cup" which is a small plastic cup you use with a small ostomy belt. If you put it on after showering while drying off, it will catch your output for the few minutes while you're drying off. Works fine, very rarely does my output exceed the volume of the cup. Just dump it in the toilet and rinse out for next time. It doesn't get in the way of toweling off either.

Justbreathe
Reply to Two bags

You are my ostomate hero! Next time I'm feeling sorry for myself because I have to wear a bag

I will definitely remember you having to deal with two of them. Thanks for sharing.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Justbreathe

For me, a morning shower is best as my stoma (ileostomy) still seems to be sleeping and I have not had anything to eat or drink for several hours. Once I turn the shower off, I place a tissue on my stoma while I dry myself. Enjoy those many minutes in the shower with no bag!!!

Homie With A Stomie NS

Oh man, it's a great feeling, ain't it... Do it once a week. My preparation is as follows: get bag cut, sized, and all supplies ready on the counter, including folded paper towels. I undress, dump, peel, and enjoy for as long as my hot water tank lasts, lol. Getting out, use a paper towel to dry the stoma area and then fold the paper towel, secure it with tape, and dry off really well. Then, do the ileostomy thing once dried off and all in place for extra security. I blast the bag flange with a hair dryer and dress away... Easy peasy. Shower always with the bag, but to have my weekly no bag time... Shower bagless, my friend. Adapt, conquer, overcome!

TerryLT

Welcome to the club, Axl. Isn't it great?!

do382818

Hello AXL, a new product called Stoma Genie might help you. You can read about it and make your decision yourself. Best of luck, buddy.

Do

IGGIE
Reply to Two bags

I like your idea of replacing the back whilst still in the shower. It would help drying without any problems. I would put the wafer on first though, as it would not stick when wet. Great idea.

TerryLT

A tip that works for me is to put a piece of toilet paper, three squares, doubled, over my stoma the moment I get out of the shower. Then, if any output occurs while I'm drying off, I can usually catch it in time and it's absorbed before it becomes a mess. It covers the area around my stoma too, and starts the drying process. Also, I have everything I need to make the change ready, flange on the pouch cut to size, mirror, extra tissue, all laid out.

Terry

Justbreathe
Reply to TerryLT

Ditto!

Part_Nerd

I go bagless once a week, in the morning. I have a couple cups of coffee, wait a couple hours to get my equipment ready on the counter, remove the tape I seal the barrier with, and jump in to wash from top down. When I finish, I put a towel around my waist, use a hair dryer to heat the disc. I usually get it on before anything happens, tape it down, attach the bag (it's Hollister 2 piece), and I'm good to go. My insurance will allow 1 change per week. I use the protective wipes on my skin. If I don't, the bag will fail before the day's out.

freedancer

I shower bag less as well. My stoma nurse told me to put a square of toilet paper over my stoma to catch the possible leaks. I tend to shower late or before I eat anything. Then it won't be real active.

Winnie The Pooh

Took me a while to go bagless in the shower, but now I do it all the time. One thing is I feel I'd like the skin to be exposed to natural water and air for at least a few minutes in the day! Luckily my stoma seems well housetrained - usually very little appears in the morning hours. But occasionally there is activity and if I don't happen to catch it with toilet roll or kitchen roll (more likely), well, there's always what someone on Reddit called "the ole waffle-stomp"! I had to LOL when I read that. It's all going to the same place anyway. But I have learned to do a very detailed look around my shower (I've got one of those "wetroom" affairs, the previous tenant was disabled) before I leave. And I have also learned to do a doubly detailed look around when I use someone else's bathroom - in that case I don't go bagless, BTW.

Trek
Reply to Panor

Where did you get this Stoma Cup? Are you able to order it online, or do they have them in drug stores? Sounds like a very interesting way to take a shower in the altogether like it used to be. Thanks for any info.

Panor

Company called RCS 1-419-358-8003

http://www.RCScompany.com

Believe me, the simplest, effortless way with no mess, no fuss. BTW I have no involvement in the company, just a long-time happy user.

Past Member

I always shower with the two bags off. I tend to sense if the ileostomy is going to start being active, so I hold on until it feels comfy. Although admitted a few times it caught me out over the years.

I then deal with the urostomy first when I come out of the shower as no idea when it will decide to drip drip, then I deal with the ileostomy. I do have a small towel at hand ready to cover one or the other if they get active.

I am fairly speedy though once out of the shower to get them both done and dusted. :)

strigglestabatha

Hi all, I've been thinking of trying to go bagless but afraid the soap may harm my stoma. When rinsing off, is liquid soap okay to use as long as I try to avoid Tootsy (my stoma name)? I have heard some people say they use Head and Shoulders Classic to clean parastomal skin. Is that safe? Maybe one day I'll get the guts to try it. Thanks all.

AlexT
Reply to strigglestabatha

I use Dial to clean everything off and then I put some Head and Shoulders on and let it sit for 30 seconds or so before rinsing it all off really well.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to strigglestabatha

Hunny, once you try it bagless, you will do it often. It is so liberating, OMG....

At least once a week, mine is off for a full clean.

I use baby soap or Dove, etc., all over my body, including stumpy....

Rinse off real good, and you will be A-okay....

Tracy

Scooter422

I hear you showering without the bag is so freeing. It's the only time I feel like my old self before the surgery. Yes, the stoma acts up sometimes, but it just goes down the drain. I hate wearing the bag. I'm always uncomfortable and really can't wear a lot of my clothes, but I manage. Enjoy your next shower, dude.