Leak from Edge of Coloplast 15521 Pouches

In this discussion
Replies
Views
River Birch

Is it me or is it a manufacturing flaw at the edge of Coloplast 15521 one-piece pouches? I have an ileostomy with mostly watery output. Every few months, I have a leak always at the right edge of the pouch. I can't see exactly where it is coming from, but it is approximately one inch below the visible flange from the front, at or close to the right edge. I coated the tips of the scissors with nail polish so there isn't a sharp point that can poke a tiny hole when I cut the stoma opening. But if it's a manufacturing flaw, wouldn't that also happen on the left side sometimes? So now I know not to apply a new pouch before I go to work because duct tape wasn't effective at stopping a leak the one time that I experimented with that.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

So the bag is leaking and not the wafer/barrier part that sticks to your skin? If that's the case, I'd say it's a manufacturer flaw but it's kinda odd it only happens once in a while. Are the bags from the same production run? Have you contacted Coloplast?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi River.....My input would be if you are worried about leaks especially at night, use the adhesive tape around the edges of the flange....does this happen after a bag change? If so, perhaps the area is not completely dried or you missed a spot with the adhesive wipe prior to putting the pouch on.....are you emptying before it is full as too full with Coloplast will cause blowouts, they will start small then blow!!!! Hopefully, this will help along with all others' input.

River Birch
Reply to AlexT

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is the bag that leaks somewhere from the right edge of the pouch and not from underneath the flange or disk. I've had that type of leak before, so now I don't wear pants that are tight in the abdomen or have the seatbelt pressing against the stoma. I haven't reported it to Coloplast yet. I thought I would get some feedback to see if it was something that I might be doing, even though I try to be careful and not damage the pouch. I've had this type of leak from bags that were in different boxes but haven't had leaks in multiple bags from the same box. It's a mystery!

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to River Birch

If it's a drainable type bag, make sure the exit area is clear and roll it up tight. Secure Velcro tightly and tuck... If leaking from the bag, then it's a manufacturer's issue. Keep us posted.

Tracy

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister