Running Out of Ostomy Supplies During a Crisis

Replies
Views
AlexT
Reply to Panko

The flushable wet wipes I use are made of plant fiber of some sort.

kstyle
Reply to w30bob

I'd love to see the video you mentioned.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kstyle
Reply to w30bob

I'd love to see the video you mentioned.

mild_mannered_super_hero
Reply to kstyle

Past Member

I am in the UK so fortunately my supplies for both stomas are supplied through the NHS. (Urostomy and Ileostomy).

If for some unknown reason I end up with none due to a possible error in ordering, or the delivery say. Then I still have some ASDA bags that maybe I could use in an emergency. :)

Joking apart though I would dither if my supplies were not available.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Justbreathe

I believe the original question was:

What would you do if you couldn't get ostomy supplies?

First thing I would do is order a padded toilet seat.

Second would be install a large screen (Smarticus) TV with remote control across from the toilet.

Third would be start rewatching the "Breaking Bad" series.

Keep smilin'; justbreathe.

patrickrichardson1946
Reply to AlexT

Sounds like the UK had to look to see your location.

w30bob
Reply to Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for chiming in! Maybe I missed it when you talked about making your own baseplates earlier... but what do you use to make them stick to your skin? That's the part that would seem most critical, as many folks have adhesion issues with barriers on their peristomal skin. And even if they don't, I would think you wouldn't want to use something that's impossible to remove. So can you tell us what works... and what doesn't between your skin and baseplate? Or does it just stay in place by pressure from your belt? Very curious about this one.

;O)

Bob

w30bob
Reply to AlexT

Hi Alex,

Yeah, I saw it... and it's a sore subject with me working for the Department of Defense. He's taking from our Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which is there to ensure we have the fuel we need when our military gets into conflict(s). What he's releasing is a fraction of a percentage of the country's daily petroleum usage, so it's merely political theater and has no impact whatsoever on gas pricing. But the stupidity is that he's weakening us militarily... which he seems to do repeatedly with aplomb. Guess we'll just have to stick solar panels and wind turbines on our tanks, jets, and humvees. What an idiot.

;O)

Bob

Update: President Brandon, who's supposed to be draining our Strategic Petroleum Reserve to supposedly lower our gas prices here in the US, has sent 5 million barrels to the EU... and a million barrels to CHINA!!! No, you can't make this shit up! Like that's going to somehow lower our gas prices here. AND our Strategic Petroleum Reserve is now at its lowest level since 1986... and he plans on continuing to drain it through October. First he leaves a sizable chunk of our military equipment behind in Afghanistan when he cut and ran... and now he's depleting our military fuel reserves. I guess next he'll publish our nuclear launch codes on the internet. And all you hear from our ridiculously biased media is crickets. Now just imagine what they'd be saying if the previous President had done even one of these things. Folks better wake up before it's too late. ;O)

w30bob
Reply to Justbreathe

Just... I burst out laughing after reading your post! Thanks for the laughs! And yes, maybe the real answer to this question is to redo the bathroom now, so it's just to my liking. In case I need to spend a lot of time in there! You're very smart!!!!

;O)

Bob

w30bob
Reply to kstyle

Hi K,

Check your private messages... it should be there.

;O)

Bob

Justbreathe
Reply to w30bob

Hahaha...not really so smart - I miserably failed at trying

to "MacGyver" a solution to your question so I realized I'd be doomed to solitary

confinement!

Bill
Reply to w30bob

Hello Bob.

My baseplates do not stay sufficiently in place for practical purposes without some sort of adhesion. 

I was ( and still am) using Hollister 7730 adhesive spray but as they are taking this off the market I've been looking for alternatives.

In the past I have successfully used double-sided carpet tape but this can sometime stick too well. However, it easily becomes dislodged with medical adhesive remover spray. I recently found a double sided tape from Korea called 'sookwang' that is 2.5 inches wide and just right for my needs, It sticks fine for a one-off and then I can just cut another piece to go over the top of the first piece. However, for now I am also still using 7730 because it is more convenient and I have loads to use up. I have contacted 3M to see if they have a medical equivalent to 7730 but they have thus far not replied to my correspondence.

I still have a large supply of artificial skin, which (in theory) should help with adhesion to both my skin and the baseplate, but as yet I have not tried it for this purpose, so watch this space!

Best wishes

Bill 

Axl
Reply to Anonymous

Hi Jo

I was contemplating writing this but you did it for me. Well done.

mild_mannered_super_hero
Reply to w30bob

Top 10 list of Biden's accomplishments so far

Lets go Brandon

AlexT
Reply to mild_mannered_super_hero

Biden did assign a Presidential Emergency Board yesterday, preventing the major transportation crews from going on strike and basically shutting the railroads down, which would have happened this Monday. So, now this board tries to get the railroads and the unions to agree on a new contract, they have 60 days. If no settlement is done, we can strike after the 60 days. So, Biden did postpone disaster to this country for at least 60 more days.

Ostobro

Eesh, the possibility of shortages of ostomy supplies actually never crossed my mind until you brought it to our attention. Great, now I just have another damn thing I need to worry about.

Hmmmm....if the boys on Apollo 13 were able to use duct tape and some DIY ingenuity to save their oxygen supply then I guess I need to get creative as well....ugh

betsyb

Has anyone discovered an organic formula for adhesive removal?

betsyb

Has anyone discovered an organic adhesive remover??

w30bob
Reply to betsyb

Hi Bets,

Well.........there are "all natural" adhesive removers........but I think searching for one that's "organic" would be a stretch. The cosmetics industry uses adhesive removers for things like wigs glued to the scalp, etc. I didn't have time to really look into the number of products, but here's the first one that popped up when I Googled it. You can surely find more, as the competition in that industry is fierce, and I'm sure the medical industry has a number of products as well. The second link is for all natural homemade adhesive removers........and there's probably a million more such articles on the web. So I think the answer to your question is 'yes'......with a dizzying number of products to try or make. Sounds like you have your work cut out for ya!! But do let us know what you find!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Safe-Natural-Adhesive-Remover-Safe/dp/B01LWWZ96F

https://www.tipsbulletin.com/homemade-adhesive-remover/

;O)

Bob

Fred383
Reply to w30bob

Duct tape sticks great to skin. Removing it becomes the issue. It doesn't want to go. Maybe your skin with it! Ouch! Buy physician's tape made for adhering to skin. When I went to the doctor, a small roll, what's left, fell into my bag. Great stuff.

YankeeMagnolia68
Reply to w30bob

Bob,

I've not been active enough to know your ostomy journey, but how do you only use a pouch a couple of times a week?

I've had some version of a colostomy since 2013, when I started with a sigmoid colostomy. I've had to revision, so now I have an ascending colostomy. With each revision my output has become more continuous throughout the day - constantly battling high liquid output. I was told to increase fiber, but that still doesn't seem to help. I buy those liners so that I can get more use out of the max amount of pouches allowed by Medicare per month.

I have a plethora of everything except pouches. I'm looking at trying to go back to work so I can have better, commercial insurance coverage again!!

IDIOstomy
Reply to w30bob

Bob 48
Reply to IDIOstomy

Pedo Joe is a Democrat, look it up, his own kids called him that