Pills not dissolving in stoma bag - seeking advice!

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hi everyone,

I've just been restarted on Mesalazine for my IBD since having an ileostomy. I have been prescribed two 800mg modified-release tablets which I take in the morning with food. I've noticed on two occasions that around 4 hours later these tablets appear completely intact in my stoma bag. They obviously aren't serving any pharmacological purpose at all! Has anyone else experienced pills just passing straight through, and if so, did a doctor find a solution? I'm aware that Mesalazine is available in a granular form, but I don't know if this would be better. Any insights would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Axl

Hi there.

In the early days when any medication would pass straight through me, the doc suggested crushing the tablets in a mortar and pestle, tipping it into a little water and drinking. It tasted like crap but worked for me. But check with the doc that this is suitable for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,467 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Howdy mister, that's why.... they are time release and our stomachs know no time. We process too quickly for any time release meds to slowly work.... Hope it helps. Have a great Sunday.

PS: If you take vitamins, try getting the chew type.

Tracy

Old Bud

Maybe try one in the morning and one in the evening.

Flomax is the same. Dr. doubled my dose and I take it twice a day and works like a charm.

Superme

Hi Tino. First, make sure the pills are not coated, and if capsules, get gel capsules. You should be having the pills with your meals. If you are not getting the proper pills, then just cut them in half. It doesn't take much time to disappear after that. Mike

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bluebell

I take the standard non-slow release ones and also Loperamide (Imodium) to slow everything down and my tablets absorb before they get to my bag. Tell your doctor straight away.

Good luck!

Redondo
Reply to Axl

Hi. I was recently prescribed Metformin Extended Release. This is usually prescribed for diabetes but it was prescribed to me for too high testosterone. In addition, I was also diagnosed with macular degeneration and recommended to take AREDS 2. Shortly thereafter, I also found what looked like a whole tablet in my output. I asked my doctor who said that it was the Metformin because it is extended release, that it is just the shell of the tablet, and that I was still benefiting from the medicine. I researched the internet and found that it said exactly the same as my doctor told me. Extended release tablets are digested in the small intestine and this happens with people who don't have an ostomy, too. When I first thought it was the eye supplement capsule, I opened the capsule into some applesauce to be sure that I was getting all of the nutrients.

Hope this helps.

Connie

Teddiee

Yes....Diabetics taking Metformin need to make sure they get the normal Metformin, not the slow release ones! Doctors should be aware of this issue. Sometimes it only takes 3 hours for me.....and the tablet is out....almost whole!

Rene

Maybe find out if it could be made available in a chewable form.

rdt4

https://badgut.org/information-centre/a-z-digestive-topics/drug-therapy-and-the-compromised-bowel... Immediate, liquid, granules, uncoated are better in terms of absorption.

What modified mesalamine are you taking? Where is it released? Where is your colitis? Modified released dosage forms (in contrast to immediate-release dosage) deliver a drug with a delay after its administration (delayed-release dosage) or for a prolonged period of time (extended-release [ER, XR, XL] dosage) or to a specific target in the body (targeted-release dosage). It probably is developed to release too late for someone with an ileostomy, thus the pills are coming out whole.

Lastly, if you have an ileostomy, didn't they get rid of your colitis?

Immarsh

Hi..... I've had the same thing happen with many different medications (over the nearly 60 years that I've had my ileostomy). I've had mixed answers from doctors and pharmacists alike. Some say the body sucks what it needs out of the pills, even if it seems to come out "whole". I didn't fully believe that. Another doctor suggested not using time release medications... I always remind my prescribing doctor of my ostomy, and if I have more questions about other forms of the drug (liquid, powder, etc.) I speak to the pharmacist... Sometimes we substitute another brand... or I'm advised to cut the pill in half... I hope this helps... Marsha...

Past Member
Reply to rdt4

Hi, I'm on Octasa MR. Unfortunately, even though I have had a lot of my colon removed (50), a recent CT scan showed I still have inflammation. I've spoken to my excellent stoma nurse yesterday who said it's pointless for me to take those meds and is going to follow it up.

Past Member

Thanks to all of you for the advice and suggestions. I have a brilliant stoma care team who have a direct line to the doctors. I spoke to stoma care yesterday who said those meds are wrong for me and there's no point in me taking them. They also said they'd follow it up with my doctors so hopefully I'll be prescribed something that I can actually absorb. What I think is that I should be on biologics.

Beth22

Hi there,

Anything I take is in liquid form ... Or the old school tablets... You know how Tylenol used to be the white chalky like pill.. no coating, no time release, no capsules.. I would ask your doctor if he could give it in liquid form ..

fjwoolridge

I had my blood pressure pill show up in my pouch many times. I asked our pharmacist about it, and he said it is not uncommon. He said that most of the time, it is just the shell and the medication gets out through the small indent in the center of the pill. Sure enough, I managed to squash the pill, and as the pharmacist said, it was just a shell and my blood pressure is stable.

Justbreathe

Well, finally someone else has had this issue - and I thought it was only me. Thanks for your post - made me feel I am not alone. I have commented on this before so I won't go into detail about my feelings regarding the "practice of medicine". I am confused why any doctor would recommend meds in tablet/pill form if they are aware the person sports a stoma. Also, I have read some meds are broken down in the colon - what good would that be to a person with an ileostomy? I don't take meds except for B12 in sublingual form so I have no answers for you - maybe the best source is your local pharmacist.

Renfromtexas

Yes. When I first had my ileostomy, my pain medication was going into my bag whole. Several times, I found up to 5 pills in my bag. I spoke to my doctor, and he started giving my pain meds in liquid form. Although the price doubled or more.