Leg crossing: Is it harmful or harmless?

Replies
Views
Homie With A Stomie NS

Morning mates... Quick question.

I'm a chronic leg crosser, especially right over left.

Has anyone been told by doctors not to cross or is it okay to cross? Or do you suffer any effects from crossing?

Fill me in...

Have a superfine Friday and a great weekend... Stay strong, smile on.

You're Homie with a Stomie.

Tracy.

w30bob

Well.........this is a different question! I assume you mean is it bad for you from an 'ostomy' point of view, and not a general point of view. There's all kinds of opinions for the latter, not supported by much real info.......but for the former.......never really thought about it. Can't think of any ill effects from doing it......unless your stoma is so low it causes your skin to crease in that area.......so interesting question.....looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.

;O)

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

I've never been able to sit like that, I'm not sure how guys can sit like that.

w30bob
Reply to AlexT

We can't... we've got all this "stuff" between our legs that the gals don't. Plus, they're just plain weird.

;O)

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to w30bob

Always count on you for the right answer lol

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to AlexT

You guys can sit with your leg across your knee, not crossed like us with a Y.

Mayoman

If you cross them just right, you can monitor your heart beat!!

SallyK
Reply to Mayoman

OMG LOL

SallyK

So Homie-with-a-Stomie-NS, did you get a real answer yet? LOL I would like to know as well.

AlexT

I'm sure it affects your blood pressure, just like sitting with your feet crossed does. I can't even get my leg crossed enough to consider sitting that way, let alone feel my heartbeat doing it. I'd probably need an ice pack if I was forced into that position.

Ben38

It's bad for your circulation, so nurses have told me when they've caught me. LOL! I live in hope of a few of them spanking me when they catch me, but so far no such luck! So I will just have to keep on trying, waiting for that day!

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to Mayoman

You sure that's a heartbeat you are feeling?

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to SallyK

Not really, just our men being smarty pants again.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to AlexT

Then please don't try, Alex... The reason I asked was, yes, I've been told prior to surgery it's bad for circulation and blood flow. But since ileostomy, if I don't catch myself and sit for a bit, either left over right or vice versa, I will get a strange pain on the hump area like a tender issue or cramp. I'm wondering if it's because I'm on the low side of placement. I wonder if I'm adding pressure to the hump area. The doctor calls it a hump. It's like my innards are all pushed into a round ball and homey sticks out the middle of it... The strange sensation or pain usually only happens if I cross... No hernias, etc., so far.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to Ben38

Never give up trying, my friend.

Past Member

Don't have any advice to offer but I've been a right over left leg crosser for years with no ill effects, as long as you're not sitting down for extended periods of time can't see the harm.

It does sound like there are a few man-spreaders in the comments though, hopefully they keep the "mouse in the house"!

Seriously guys, particularly on public transport, I know you have to give the "boys" some room but have a think of the girls on either side of you!

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

That guy has a real problem, he might need some baby powder if it takes that much to "get some air".

Mayoman
Reply to Homie With A Stomie NS

I have the power... I can hear/feel yours too... I am a 7th son so I'm special!! Today's my birthday so I have extra power today... Keep that heart monitor close by.

SallyK
Reply to Mayoman

Happy birthday Eamon!

Immarsh

I assumed it was a serious question.....but it was also good for a laugh... Hi all.... It's Marsha... more than 60 years with an ileostomy.. I'm short, barely 5'2' tall (since I was 12), and have very short legs... I'm happy if they touch the floor, at a restaurant, on public transportation, etc.. I'd see tall, long-legged gals "cross their legs, with feet on the floor....and it amazed me.. The best I could do was cross my ankles... And that was before my ileostomy... I never gave it much thought.....although I might have done it a few times, when I was "thin enough", as in "never" my thighs always "touched"... Cross away......those who can... Marsh

Marilyn Flowers

I've never had a problem and I've had my ostomy for more than 58 years.

Marilyn Flowers

I've never had a problem and I've had my ostomy for more than 58 years.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Thank you all for the responses including the males lol.... It's probably just me sitting too long crossed...

After all, a "y" is open at both ends. I will work on keeping it open instead of closed...

My mates rock!!!!

betsyb
Reply to w30bob

Well, now we women have all this stuff between our legs too! It's not easy to get used to!

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to betsyb

True that.