Replies
Views
Justbreathe

Sign, sign everywhere a sign.

Blocking out the scenery.

Breaking my mind.

Do this, don't do that.

Can't you read the sign?

Scheduled an appointment with my surgeon for September 7th to proceed with reversal of my 2-year-old ileostomy. Today I finally lost my mind - doesn't really matter cause I haven't been using it much anyway.

This morning I was wide awake at 4:30 am. My empty head filling with thoughts as to "why a reversal - why would I jeopardize, by choice, any of my future when, in fact, I feel really good in the present?"

Then I reflected on a "sign" I was given over the last 2 days.

My first step, to expedite the reversal process, was to make an appointment with my heart doctor and verify she had my required records - this simple task took me 2 days which I will never get back. The absurd comedy begins.

Day 1 initial call - I was on hold for 10 minutes then auto transferred to the answering service. I was advised someone would call me in 24 hours - never received that call.

Day 2 - my second call. Once again I was wisely informed by a recording "if this is an emergency hang up and dial 911. Then of course, all the audio recordings regarding Covid rules and regulations and oh yes the numerous prompts to press 1 for this and 2 for that. My call then went into queue for the next available real live body (who was probably in the break room celebrating someone's birthday). That hold then automatically transferred me to the answering service where (of all things) I was asked to hold. Good thing I have a belly bag cause a pooh at this time would have sent me off the deep end. In all, my total hold time was 33 minutes as I listened to the worst music ever. However, I was productive and managed to pluck a few wild chin hairs to pass the time - but in the end I never did talk to anyone and hung up in total despair. All this for 2 simple questions.

1. Do you have my records?

2. Can I make an appointment?

Day 3 an epiphany!

Hold the phone! Those 2 days of frustration - were they a sign? If they had been successfully completed it would have started the ball rolling toward reversal surgery. This decision shall bring forth numerous doctors, endless drugs, bodily pain, and mind-boggling stress - basically everything I try to avoid in my everyday "senior" life. Yet it is exactly what I am heading for and in the end, there are no guarantees of success. Talk about a change of heart!

This is not for me - decision made. Until such time as a medical emergency, I shall hopefully live in peace.

I called to cancel my surgeon appointment on September 7th - and guess what - the call went straight through to a live body!

Past Member

Excellent epiphany JB, I applaud your decision.

Even if I had the option of a reversal, the answer would be a resounding NO! I decided after my surgery many years ago never to darken the doors of a hospital again, and so far have been in luck *touch wood*.

P.S. I sense a kindred spirit with the chin hair comment. Where do these bloody things come from, why do they hide in plain sight until one day what feels like a foot-long black twig appears (seemingly overnight) that could quite possibly take an eye out?! Just the magical mysteries of menopause, from cute to crone in a matter of months, LOL!

You read the signs right!

Cheers, my dear

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,446 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

JB, if that call to cancel going right through to a live person isn't a sign, I don't know what is.

Jo, "from cute to crone in a matter of months" LOL That comment makes my day.

SallyK

Justbreathe
Reply to Anonymous

Jo - I loved your response, your vote of validation and your humor! And the song too! When I asked Alexa to play the original song, she instead played "Just a Sign" by B.o.B - turned out I loved that one too! Give it a listen..... Thanks jb

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
TerryLT
Reply to Anonymous

OMG, you just gave me a real belly laugh! I can relate to you and JB when it comes to the chin hair! Those things are evil, and they appear out of nowhere! I have to be really alert to grab them before they do take someone's eye out!

Terry

TerryLT

Hi JB, I'm glad to hear you made this decision. I remember you were struggling with it before. I was given the option of a reversal too, but after all the research into possible and probable outcomes, I decided that life is just fine the way it is, thanks. Too risky for me. Considering all the hassle you went through in the last few days, it almost sounds like someone was trying to tell you something. Like you say, you can always change your mind down the road if things change. Good for you!

Terry

Justbreathe
Reply to TerryLT

Thanks!

Casper9

Hi JB!

I had my ileostomy surgery in 1995. I was young and was told a reversal was a good possibility for me. I found that I was so busy living again that I had no time for surgery.

"Stuie" and I got along famously but I began to think about a reversal as I got older. I did lots of research and spoke to lots of doctors and people who had a reversal and decided 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I'm so glad I made that decision!

As for the chin hairs, they do grow overnight! I think I'm going to start hanging beads on mine. Maybe start a new trend.

Glad you got your sign! Onwards and upwards!!!

Casper

TerryLT
Reply to Casper9

LOL!!!

Silveradokid

Hi JB. Reversal was never an option for me due to the degree of 'erosion' caused by the ulcerative colitis. It seems every time a drastic change is introduced into one's body, our system compensates for that change with adjustments of its own. My post-surgery ileostomy issues have been controllable and remain relatively non-invasive in this, my new quality of life. Keeping with that philosophy of 'the less change the better,' I think you made a wise decision...