Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,292 members
Next >

Anyone have Hypomagnesaemia?

This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

Hello all

I’m in the early stages of this. I have difficulty absorbing / retaining nutrients (particularly magnesium) as I have a high output ileostomy, a fistula as well as Crohn’s. I’ve been prescribed Magnesium supplementation in the form of Magnaspartate powder. However, because it has a laxative effect it pretty much goes straight though me without being absorbed. I take Loperamide as well Codeine but my output remains high. 

The only thing that works to bring my magnesium in range is a periodic IV infusion but clearly this is not sustainable. 

I’d be keen therefore to know if anyone else has this problem and how they got round it.  I’d be particularly interested to know if anyone has had any success with magnesium supplementation prescribed in the form of a chewable tablet. There’s one I found online but my NHS trust doesnt prescribe it 

Thanks! 

Do you or are you capable of eating foods high in magnesium? 

MeetAnOstoMate - 28,292 members

You might want to visit a good health food store, where the staff are very knowledgeable, and ask them about the different forms of magnesium supplements.  I take it in powder form, but was told that they are not all the same.  Some have more of a laxative effect than others.  Hope this helps.

Terry

Hi Tino,

I  have an ileostomy also. I have been working with a Dietitian for about 3-4 yrs. I have the same issues with absorption etc. I  take Magnesium Breath rough by BioOptimizers. It is 7 magnesium in one capsule,  but I open the capsule and mix with a little water before bed. I also use a magnesium spray which I also spray on my legs before bed. Get dehydrated and cramps in my legs and feet at night. The transdurmal absorption is a good method for us, since it bypasses the digestive tract.

I used to have a port in my chest a got iv fluids 3x a week. Got MSSA from it,  and had it removed. Then stopped the iv fluids. I  have been okay. But still feel very dehydrated at times.

Hope this helps. 

Axl

I use Carolyn Dean's ReMag from the US, it bypasses the digestive tract, I take it for other issues.

AlexT wrote:

Do you or are you capable of eating foods high in magnesium? 

Hi, not really as many of these are also  high in fibre which is probably not going to help with my HOS

delgrl525 wrote:

You might want to visit a good health food store, where the staff are very knowledgeable, and ask them about the different forms of magnesium supplements.  I take it in powder form, but was told t...

Thanks, I’ve just ordered some magnesium citrate gummies so I’ll see how it goes! 

i no what you mean...........i eat quakers oat so simple with syrup.........make sure its runny and it slows everything down..............good luck

delgrl525 wrote:

You might want to visit a good health food store, where the staff are very knowledgeable, and ask them about the different forms of magnesium supplements.  I take it in powder form, but was told t...

Trying to reply to original post about magnesium but don’t see comment button. My husband is wondering if he too, is not absorbing nutrients properly. What is the best way to be tested for this? 

Jeanniepatz wrote:

Trying to reply to original post about magnesium but don’t see comment button. My husband is wondering if he too, is not absorbing nutrients properly. What is the best way to be tested for this? 

Get your doctor to run a simple blood test.

I have same problem plus being diabetic. Infusions really help but can't do forever.  I take lomotil to slow my bag drainage down.  I take Mighty Mg which is di-magnesium malate and magnesium chelate which is supposed to not cause loose bowels.  I also take an occasional magnesium glycine which is supposedly best for absorption but it does seem to make looser bowels.  I also drink an electrolyte solution called drip drops.  All this helps to delay the need for infusions.  I'm going to try soaking my feet in a magnesium bath.  Good luck finding a solution.

Jeanniepatz wrote:

I’m having week blood tests at the hospital  to monitor my electrolytes 

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. It seems it’s a question of trying to ingest enough but not too much and find the type of Mg with the least laxative effect.

At the moment, if I’m lucky I might be able to hold my level just under the minimum if my ileostomy isn’t too active, but eventually it drops to the point where I feel quite unwell. It’s a very recognizable feeling of nausea, fatigue and loss of appetite. I’ve got a couple of days of Magnaspartate left then I’m going to start on the gummies. I’ve also ordered Mg Malate online. It’s powder but the manufacturer claims it’s the least laxative form so I’ll have to see. 

tommy 6644 wrote:

i no what you mean...........i eat quakers oat so simple with syrup.........make sure its runny and it slows everything down..............good luck

Tommy, just tried the runny oats - wow!!! Instant effect as if the tap has been turned off 

Thanks so much for the tip. I will be adding a daily dose of ‘oats so simple’ to the breakfast menu from now on 

Simon 

Tinothoo wrote:

Hi, not really as many of these are also  high in fibre which is probably not going to help with my HOS

Hi Tinothoo, while my magnesium (Mg) issues haven't been given a title, I too have problems with absorbing Mg. I too have two bags, - a mucous fistula and an ileostomy. I have been asked to take  Magnesium Oxide by Sona. It is the least diarrhoea inducing Mg of the types of Mg available to us, or so I'm told, - trust me,  I asked!! - And being next door to you in the Emerald Isle, probably means that brand is available in the UK too?  I had tried the powder (magnesium verla) but when I was re-admitted for dehydration and low magnesium for  the  3rd  time post my lost op,  (I'm home 2 weeks and my surgery was at beginning June 2022), I asked the hospital's  pharmacist, dietitition, surgeon and gastroenterologist about all the different  Magnesiums and I was told that my output would be worse with all others so this one was the best for ileostomy.  I don't  swallow the tablet whole I either crush it or suck the chalky tablet and eat it with a binding food such as porridge, potato or rice etc., because I was tired of seeing the almost whole undigestedt tablet in my output. I take 3 x 250mg 3 times every day, but I am only 6½ stones at moment and short in stature so a bigger person might require a higher dose?🤷🏼‍♀️ I dunno if that might help but I DO NOT want to be re-admitted to hospital ever again for this issue.🤦🏼‍♀️

I’ve finally been prescribed a chewable tablet so I’ll see how that goes! Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.