Seeking advice on Hypomagnesaemia and absorption issues

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hello all.

I'm in the early stages of this. I have difficulty absorbing/retaining nutrients (particularly magnesium) as I have a high output ileostomy, a fistula as well as Crohn's. I've been prescribed magnesium supplementation in the form of Magnaspartate powder. However, because it has a laxative effect, it pretty much goes straight through me without being absorbed. I take Loperamide as well as codeine, but my output remains high.

The only thing that works to bring my magnesium in range is a periodic IV infusion, but clearly this is not sustainable.

I'd be keen, therefore, to know if anyone else has this problem and how they got around it. I'd be particularly interested to know if anyone has had any success with magnesium supplementation prescribed in the form of a chewable tablet. There's one I found online, but my NHS trust doesn't prescribe it.

Thanks!

AlexT

Do you or are you capable of eating foods high in magnesium?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,427 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

You might want to visit a good health food store, where the staff are very knowledgeable, and ask them about the different forms of magnesium supplements. I take it in powder form, but was told that they are not all the same. Some have more of a laxative effect than others. Hope this helps.

Terry

Tangleloft 06

Hi Tino,

I have an ileostomy also. I have been working with a dietitian for about 3-4 years. I have the same issues with absorption etc. I take Magnesium Breakthrough by BioOptimizers. It is 7 magnesium in one capsule, but I open the capsule and mix with a little water before bed. I also use a magnesium spray which I also spray on my legs before bed. I get dehydrated and cramps in my legs and feet at night. The transdermal absorption is a good method for us, since it bypasses the digestive tract.

I used to have a port in my chest and got IV fluids 3 times a week. Got MSSA from it, and had it removed. Then stopped the IV fluids. I have been okay. But still feel very dehydrated at times.

Hope this helps.

Axl

I use Carolyn Dean's ReMag from the US. It bypasses the digestive tract. I take it for other issues.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member
Reply to AlexT

Hi, not really as many of these are also high in fiber which is probably not going to help with my HOS

Past Member
Reply to TerryLT

Thanks, I've just ordered some magnesium citrate gummies so I'll see how it goes!

tommy 6644

I know what you mean...........I eat Quaker's Oats So Simple with syrup.........Make sure it's runny and it slows everything down..............Good luck

Jeanniepatz
Reply to TerryLT

Trying to reply to the original post about magnesium but don't see the comment button. My husband is wondering if he too is not absorbing nutrients properly. What is the best way to be tested for this?

TerryLT
Reply to Jeanniepatz

Get your doctor to run a simple blood test.

Farmerdan

I have the same problem plus being diabetic. Infusions really help but can't do forever. I take Lomotil to slow my bag drainage down. I take Mighty Mg, which is di-magnesium malate, and magnesium chelate, which is supposed to not cause loose bowels. I also take an occasional magnesium glycine, which is supposedly best for absorption, but it does seem to make looser bowels. I also drink an electrolyte solution called Drip Drops. All this helps to delay the need for infusions. I'm going to try soaking my feet in a magnesium bath. Good luck finding a solution.

Past Member
Reply to Jeanniepatz

I'm having weak blood tests at the hospital; to monitor my electrolytes

Past Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. It seems it's a question of trying to ingest enough but not too much and find the type of Mg with the least laxative effect.

At the moment, if I'm lucky I might be able to hold my level just under the minimum if my ileostomy isn't too active, but eventually it drops to the point where I feel quite unwell. It's a very recognizable feeling of nausea, fatigue, and loss of appetite. I've got a couple of days of Magnaspartate left then I'm going to start on the gummies. I've also ordered Mg Malate online. It's powder but the manufacturer claims it's the least laxative form so I'll have to see.

Past Member
Reply to tommy 6644

Tommy, just tried the runny oats - wow!!! Instant effect as if the tap has been turned off.

Thanks so much for the tip. I will be adding a daily dose of ‘Oats So Simple' to the breakfast menu from now on.

Simon

Mabsie Moll
Reply to Anonymous

Hi Tinothoo, while my magnesium (Mg) issues haven't been given a title, I too have problems with absorbing Mg. I too have two bags, - a mucous fistula and an ileostomy. I have been asked to take Magnesium Oxide by Sona. It is the least diarrhea-inducing Mg of the types of Mg available to us, or so I'm told, - trust me, I asked!! - And being next door to you in the Emerald Isle, probably means that brand is available in the UK too? I had tried the powder (magnesium verla) but when I was re-admitted for dehydration and low magnesium for the 3rd time post my lost op, (I'm home 2 weeks and my surgery was at the beginning of June 2022), I asked the hospital's pharmacist, dietitian, surgeon, and gastroenterologist about all the different magnesiums and I was told that my output would be worse with all others so this one was the best for ileostomy. I don't swallow the tablet whole. I either crush it or suck the chalky tablet and eat it with a binding food such as porridge, potato, or rice etc., because I was tired of seeing the almost whole undigested tablet in my output. I take 3 x 250mg 3 times every day, but I am only 6½ stones at the moment and short in stature so a bigger person might require a higher dose? I dunno if that might help but I DO NOT want to be re-admitted to the hospital ever again for this issue.&zwj

Past Member

I've finally been prescribed a chewable tablet, so I'll see how that goes! Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply.

Caros1
Reply to AlexT

Try using Metamucil, this will bulk up the bile.

SheriFoster53

I take prescribed Mag-G tablet daily, twice a day. I specifically chose this because it does not have a diarrhea effect on my ostomy. I have an ileostomy so very watery output to begin with. Hope this helps!

Gemini16

I had issues absorbing magnesium before and after ileostomy surgery. I wasn't absorbing much from capsules. I've been taking Trace Minerals Ionic Magnesium Liquid. And it's keeping me in check ;) Maybe try it?