Traveling to Mexico with an ileostomy - Need advice!

Replies
Views
Blanca

I have an ileostomy since 2017 (actually my second one as my reversal did not work out). I have not traveled since then and am now going to Mexico next month. The question I have is, will the Mexico climate affect my ileostomy? i.e. Will it be hard on the appliance, such as will I have to change more often? I am worried about the flange not sticking, etc. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

AlexT

Have fun. I think the only thing that may affect your wear time is if you're in the water a lot. Otherwise, I see no issues. Take at least twice the amount of supplies that you'd normally use during the amount of time you're there and change on your regular schedule. You've had it long enough to know when it's time to change and not push it too much and get a leak.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,462 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

Tip 1: Have fun

Tip 2: Bring extra products (and carry them on, don't check them)

Tip 3: Have more fun

Bryce

Hi Blanca,

It will be as hot there as it has been in Ontario this summer. The old adage of 'Take Half The Clothes Twice The Money' certainly applies to supplies as well. Use Carry-On if flying as a bag/case of supplies does not count against your allowance. If using Pearson they have a special line at check-in for those with appliances e.g. pacemaker, ostomy, wheelchair, etc., and it is usually much quicker to get through.

Personally, I would only use bottled water and avoid any beach food vendors.

Have a great trip!

Bryce

Bill

Have a great trip! ( & don't worry).

Best wishes

Bill

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT

Ditto all the previous advice. You will be fine, enjoy! By the way, I swim all the time and have not found my appliance has reduced wear time because of it.

Terry

Morning glory

I have been to Mexico a few times with no problems. Have fun and don't worry. Like others have said, take extra supplies and drink bottled water.

William15

Hi Blanca

Five months after my ileostomy surgery, I traveled to Mexico, from the UK, in December, and was there for six wonderful months, keeping busy with work, study, and socializing. I only experienced a minor problem ileostomy wise, which was a slight leakage, due to my pouch flange becoming unstuck a little, when I had been walking excessively. I use Dansac Invent pouches, and throughout my Mexico trip served me extremely well - and still do!

I re-visited Mexico again in 2016, and had a superb time, however on this trip, I ate pork, and was ill for a couple of days, but was soon able to take up activities again.

Enjoy your trip

Will

Riva

Stay hydrated. Don't overthink this. Enjoy yourself

Blanca
Reply to AlexT

Thank you very much. Very helpful advice.

Blanca
Reply to Cplumber

Thank you very much

Blanca
Reply to William15

Thank you very much, Will.

Blanca
Reply to TerryLT

Thank you for the advice, Terry. I have not swum since then. An activity that I have always enjoyed. What kind of supply do you use?

Blanca
Reply to Riva

Thank you very much.

Blanca
Reply to Morning glory

Thank you

Mickeya

Hi. I live in Florida and manage hot, humid weather all summer. Other than possible skin irritation (bring powder), there shouldn't be any issues. As others have said, bring lots of supplies with you, including closed pouches for swimming.

ron in mich

Hi, you've got some good advice and like they all said, don't drink the water, drink tequila instead.

DisneyRN

There are some great ideas on travel tips if you google - travel tips for ostomates.

There are things to think about on the plane ride - choose a seat close to the bathroom and an aisle seat if able - to take Imodium or eat a banana before the flight to decrease output. You can print a card off the UOAA site if you are concerned about security, etc.

Precut wafers as able to prevent taking scissors through security and take some of your home water in a bottle or pre-moistened towelettes since your skin is used to be cleaned with your home water and hotel water can leave a different film on your skin preventing good adherence.

Have fun-

NoGutsNoGlory

Hello, if you have one, use one of those wraps that hold the bag and flange close to your body. Maybe some extra tape around the flange for more security. This may help with being in the water or sweating.

I also like to eat more rice or high fiber foods to help the output be less liquid and more solid, thus slowing down the output.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

Redondo

I live in South Florida where it is very humid. I don't have too much of a problem. I am still able to change every 7 days. Just take lots of back up supplies.

Stay safe, enjoy, and have fun.

AgentSmith

Unfortunately, the same thing happened to me as my reversal didn't take. So, I have a permanently ileo as well. And yes, Mexico is highly humid, so I had to find humidity tape to keep everything sealed intact as long as possible.

Thxguy

I certainly agree with the previous advice - I use Hollister pre-cut flanges, and the only thing that I do differently when swimming/beach is I try to dry the fabric adhesive section of the flange using a towel or hair dryer. I find if I leave it damp too long, the skin below becomes irritated more easily. And yes, take 2x the supplies you normally use. Better to not need it and have it than need it and not have it :-)

AlexT

The bigger question here... Why did we not get invited?