Showering without wetting bag/flange?

Replies
Views
jrh30673

26 months on.... The nurses at the rehab center said for me to remove the bag and shower. Don't spray the area with intense water, but I do.

Wash the area around the barrier with Johnson's baby wash. After washing, I set the hand shower on warm gentle spray water to clean up the poo.

Is this a bad thing? It seems to not complain or give me any issues.

AlexT
Reply to jrh30673

Sounds good to me. I can see why they say no intense water because stomas can bleed very easily. Make sure your soap (I use Dial and then Head & Shoulders) of choice doesn't have moisturizer in it and you should be good.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,469 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Delsol93
Reply to SallyK

Mine arrived this past Saturday and I too love it. Thanks everyone for the suggestion.

jalrein

Wow. I've read all these replies and only 1 person occasionally does what I do. I have a 2-piece appliance. I change it every 3 days as my insurance allows a lot of supplies. I take everything off the morning of the change. I shower with nothing on. Been doing this for 2 years. I have a routine for light eating and drinking the night before. Occasionally I have output that goes down the drain. This works fantastic for me. I wish you the best of luck in finding what works for you. Everyone has their own methods. Great luck to you, Deb!!!!

jalrein

Wow. I've read all these replies and only 1 person occasionally does what I do. I have a 2-piece appliance. I change it every 3 days as my insurance allows a lot of supplies. I take everything off the morning of the change. I shower with nothing on. Been doing this for 2 years. I have a routine for light eating and drinking the night before. Occasionally I have output that goes down the drain. This works fantastic for me. I wish you the best of luck in finding what works for you. Everyone has their own methods. Great luck to you, Deb!!!!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
countyclare

I get my ostomy pouch and wafer wet every morning while I shower.

I picture frame the wafer with four pieces of paper tape prior to showering.

Then I simply dry with a towel after showering and move on with my day.

jalrein

Well, Deb. What I do is completely different than anyone I have read about. It seems I'm in the minority. I take sponge baths on the days I'm not changing my 2-piece appliance. I change mine every 3-4 days. The days I'm changing are the days everything comes off and I take my shower "naked" so to speak. Since I've done this my entire 2 years with my stoma, things are amazingly great. Skin stays clean and perfectly free of any problems. Once done, I put a washcloth over the stoma and I put on my new appliance. Wishing you luck with whatever you do...

Marco789

Don't waste your time or money. I get the bag wet and soapy every time. I just dry it when I'm done with my shower. I use either a towel or hair dryer, sometimes both. As long as you dry it, you shouldn't have any problems.

#Highlyfavored
Reply to Hairdresser

I do the same thing, no problem. I let my stoma get wet. My stoma nurse said I could take the bag off and let it get washed and cleaned. Then I dried around the stoma with tissue and I used a towel to dry the outer part, and it works for me.

#Highlyfavored
Reply to Hairdresser

I do the same thing, no problem. I let my stoma get wet. My stoma nurse said I could take the bag off and let it get washed and cleaned. Then I dried around the stoma with tissue and I used a towel to dry the outer part, and it works for me.

#Highlyfavored
Reply to Hairdresser

Colin325

I always shower without a bag. I find the adhesive on the flange goes gloopy if it gets too wet. It's quite nice giving the area a good spray.

elledubuque

I used our Seal-A-Meal machine on one of my bags and I snap that on for my showers. I just fold up a little piece of gauze to keep it off the plastic. It has worked seamlessly. I have a longer post about it somewhere on here.

elledubuque

I made a shower cap with one of my bags and a Seal-a-Meal machine. Works perfectly.