Seeking Gastric Dermatologist for Persistent Skin Issue

Replies
Views
freedancer

Do any of you know if there is such a thing as a gastric dermatologist? I've been battling a skin issue under my barrier since June of 2022. It is itchy, red, raw, and blistering. I have tried several treatments and it just is not clearing up. I have spoken to my general physician and have seen my stoma nurse. My GP will no longer follow through with me and my stoma nurse stated if the silver skin patches did not work that I have to see a dermatologist. The picture on here is what I am dealing with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

w30bob

Hi Free,

Yikes!! Well, I'm no doctor... see, I can't even spell it right! But if I had to bet a paycheck... I'd say you've got impetigo. The flaccid blister and the denuded skin give it away. Basically, it's an infection caused by either Staph or Streptococcus. I'm surprised your ostomy nurse didn't catch it. You need a doctor or dermatologist to swab for a culture and have it sent to the lab to nail down the exact organism that's ruining your days. Once they know the culprit, they can get you on the right antibiotic for a week or two and get that mess cleared up. Until you get to the doctor, I'd wipe the area with an antiseptic wipe and let it sit on your skin for as long as you can before you put on your new barrier. More frequent barrier changes, so you can do the antiseptic wipe (or wash) would be what I'd do until I got to the doctor. If I'm right, you'll be good as new in no time... once they figure out the bad actor.

;O)

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,435 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

freedancer
Reply to w30bob

Thank you. I have literally begged my VA GP to take a sample of the issue and she absolutely will not do it. I cannot even get an appointment with her. I am ready to go to Urgent Care just to get someone to help me. I fail to understand why my VA doctor is so opposed to doing a culture!

w30bob
Reply to freedancer

Hi Free,

Yeah, that is really weird. A culture and lab work would be the obvious thing to do... so why she won't do it is beyond me. If it were me, I'd say goodbye to that GP and find someone a bit more caring. If you look online, you'll find a number of suggestions for home remedies to treat a Staph infection. Yours may not be Staph, but giving some of them a whirl until you get to a good Doc wouldn't hurt to try. Let me know how you make out.

;O)

Bob

Hairdresser

Hi Free.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have never seen anything like that. I feel so bad for you. Could you be allergic to the system you are wearing? Have you tried a new company or a different system?
Please keep us posted. Good luck.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Marco789
Reply to freedancer

I hope you're not expecting top-tier care from the VA because my experiences have told me that you won't get it. They have helped me out an awful lot with my ostomy (mostly in supplies), but generally they don't really have a ton of experience in it. I recommend seeing a private doctor, even if it's out of pocket. You can't let this fester, it looks pretty nasty. I hope you feel better soon!

Regards, M

freedancer
Reply to Hairdresser

I have had this system for 4 years now. I have never had an issue until June 2022 when the first itchy blister showed up. I do not think it is an allergy. I think it is more of an infection or something similar.

freedancer
Reply to Marco789

Thanks, I made a call to a local clinic dermatologist. I will be seeing someone next week. I will just have to use my Humana and pay it myself. Thank you for listening.

Marco789
Reply to freedancer

Anytime, my friend. Thanks for your service.

IGGIE

Good luck and let us know the outcome. That is so bad and needs urgent care.