Requesting seat change for ostomy pouch on American Airlines?

Replies
Views
ostiboy

I will be flying on American Airlines for the first time since my ileostomy to see the grandkids at the end of the year.
I have a TSA Travel Communication Card to show the TSA that I am wearing a pouch.
My question to you is have any of you been able to request a courtesy change of seats to be as close to the front restroom as possible on board, both for possible restroom needs but also to be among the first to deplane to head to the airport restrooms?
If yes, please tell me how you did it.

Thanks for your help!

Bill

Hello ostiboy.

I think the best and easiest way to get the seat that you want is to request it as far in advance as possible along with giving the explanation. It might help to be aware that not many people want to sit near the toilets, so there's a good chance that your request will be granted.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

How long is your flight that you're concerned with using the bathroom that much?

Past Member

I fly quite frequently (son is a pilot) - I actually notice that my stoma does not produce too much output mid-flight and literally stops. The only concern I get is pouch gets a tad inflated so gently "burping" - although landing I do make sure to head straight to the restroom since I know it will start up again but nothing that's not manageable.

SharkFan

Ostiboy,

I've flown quite a bit since surgery, 6 flights in the past two weeks including Dallas. Your bag will show up, pretty detailed, when going through the security checkpoint. Expect to be stopped. When I am I say "my ostomy bag right?" You'll then be asked to rub your hands over the area and they wipe your hand with a towelette. They put it in a chemical detector and give you the go-ahead when the results come back clear. I've never needed the card. It's just one more thing to fumble with ID, boarding pass etc. It's very discreet and fairly quick. Remember, it may be uncomfortable for the TSA agent also. They have been more than accommodating. My only problem was in the Netherlands when there was a language barrier. After answering "Ostomy bag" numerous times I gave the answer "S*# bag". Needless to say I was pulled into a room for a quick visual check. Even there they were very accommodating and apologetic.

As for asking for a seat next to the bathroom, if it makes you feel better, do it. I usually fly Southwest and pick my own seat on an aisle and near the back. On any other airline I book an aisle seat. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling someone about my condition if I didn't have to.

10 minutes before boarding I head to the airport bathroom to empty and check the pouch seal. Carry a supply bag containing EVERYTHING you need for an emergency bag change. I had that incident once. Upon seeing the seepage beginning I panicked. I took a deep breath, calmed down and was done within 5 min. Depending on what appliance you use bring a chemical "hot pack" to hold over the new bag. This is a typical bag used as a heat pack for a sore back or similar situation. Key to this process is to expect it to happen. If you do that you'll already have a plan on how you will handle it and just react. This should lower some of the anxiety.

Over the years I have become a "bag petter", gently wiping my bag to push any waste down into the bag. If the flight still has a couple of hours to go I may head to the bathroom. One thing I suggest is to put toilet paper on the bottom of the toilet before emptying. Urinate after. As airline toilets work with suction, you will find yourself pushing the flush button many times without any liquid to help move the matter. This happened to me once. Walking out after flushing 4x was pretty embarrassing. About half the plane stared at me with the look of "Are you okay/is it safe to go in there???"

I found flying was a lot easier than I figured. Keep that supply bag with your carry-on and you'll be fine.

Don't worry. Enjoy your trip.

SharkFan

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IzzyVal

When I went through TSA and showed the card, the agent said it's not needed. You need to let them know that you have an ostomy bag before you walk through the scan machine as they will pat you down and test your hand for explosive powder. But maybe not all airports are the same. There is no special seating unless you requested it on your ticket. Hope this helps. Happy travels.

ostiboy
Reply to SharkFan

Thanks for your very useful advice which I will use.
I contacted the airline special assistance and asked for bulkhead seating and I'm in line behind any wheelchair and special need animals. My flight is not until Jan 2 so I was told to keep checking with them as we get closer.

Cheers.

Immarsh

Hi, I have my ileostomy for over 60 years* since I was a kid of 15, and I've flown countless times since then... A lot of my travel was in a 4-seater, single-engine bonanza, and we stopped every 3 1/2 hours for fuel so I had regular access to a bathroom. In those 7 years, we only had to stop once, at an unpaved airstrip on the edge of a cornfield to use their "cabin" / bathroom for a rest stop. I've also flown long-distance flights (19 hours+) and never had a problem using the restroom. Like others, I prefer an aisle seat, but don't need to be near the bathrooms. I always carry on my ostomy supplies, but they're in the overhead. So I keep a small pack of supplies in a tote bag, stored under the seat (remember no scissors). In all my long-distance flights.... Israel, China, Malta, Japan, Africa, Australia, (6x) I've only had to change once on board, by choice, because I had a horrible itch that I didn't want to turn into a leak. Hint is to wear very comfortable clothes... I've never had a problem with supplies... but they are more concerned with examining my c-pap machine.... and testing that. When they body scan me.... the ostomy is visible, but rarely have I been questioned... On occasion, I've been asked if I could "pull up my waistband", which I can't... Ostomy is low on my belly, and I have a low waist... I've never been taken to a private room for a pat down... I imagine that they have seen many different types of "ostomies" when scanning travelers. And like most of us, I use the bathroom before boarding, and if needed, before changing flights.... Best of luck... Marsha