Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,893 members
Next >

Lost my Mind

This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

Anyone with an ileostomy feel like they have lost their mind sometimes?

I had lost my mind BEFORE the ileostomy surgery.  The surgery restored it, if somewhat off kilter.  

MeetAnOstoMate - 28,893 members

Lost it, no. Question it, yes. 

No.. why do you feel this way? What is happening? Maybe some of us can help guide you..it is a big change.

I believe that I came within a stone's throw of it when I first had my ostomy. But it gets easier bud, be patient. Jesus has helped me tremendously. 🙂

Last edited by J🙂 on Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Surveyor, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Are you having leaks, a tough time fitting the appliance, concerned about odor, having to change the way you dress? Or is it just having an ileostomy, your body, etc.? It definitely has its challenges but it is a lifesaver. Everything in life depends on how you view things. How you see them affects how they make you feel. We also have to remember that our choices (or the things that are decided for us) are limited and we have to try to see what we end up with as the best solution. An ostomy could be the best solution?! Well, yeah, it could. I wish having a healthy colon was one of the options! Hang in there, lots of helpful folks on here. They helped me more than they'll ever know.

Hi Surveyor before i had my surgery 30 some years ago i was on prednisone and some other med and felt like my life was in shambles and wasnt able to work and then my wife got laid off her job, thats when i was ready to quit but my dr. at the time called and had me come for a consultation with a surgeon and the rest is history. Hang in there it gets better. 

Marco789 wrote:

I believe that I came within a stone's throw of it when I first had my ostomy. But it gets easier bud, be patient. Jesus has helped me tremendously. 🙂

Appreciate it 

Maried wrote:

No.. why do you feel this way? What is happening? Maybe some of us can help guide you..it is a big change.

Just so many crazy things going on it's hard to cope...

ron in mich wrote:

Hi Surveyor before i had my surgery 30 some years ago i was on prednisone and some other med and felt like my life was in shambles and wasnt able to work and then my wife got laid off her job, that...

Glad to hear - I sure hope so - alot of crazy things going on around here...

No never had one to begin with lol, in the early days yes at times but as you learn to live life to max again and accept your stoma and leave all your worries in the past 

The thread said "lost mind". Figured, I'd help find it with you.  then I thought I'd add, I lost my hearing. Can you help find it?  It gets better Bro.  you got this ... here... hear.. .  -Warrior.

HenryM wrote:

I had lost my mind BEFORE the ileostomy surgery.  The surgery restored it, if somewhat off kilter.  

You go Henry - Love me some Florida - Kansas Sucks.  My Cousins lived on Merit Island and had a business in Cocoa Beach.  Been to Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Key West, etc.  Remember swimming in the ocean on December 23 at Ft Lauderdale then coming back to Kansas to plow snow to get up my street...

Losing oneself is unfortunately part of the process of healing and finding who you are again.  It's really hard to figure out as your mind is fighting your body and it can be a real mind game.  I'm post op 2 years, and there are still days that I break down, because it's difficult.  So just know you aren't alone, and it's good to have those of us who can tell you it's ok not to be ok at times.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.