Recovery Challenges and Strategies: 9 Days Post Reversal

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the challenges and strategies for recovery 9 days post-reversal surgery.
elledubuque

Well, it's going to be harder than I thought, so I keep reminding myself that I need to take advantage of the time off work and just tune out for a bit.

I definitely felt awful after Thanksgiving dinner, trust me even if it's only a couple bites of cherry pie, it is a terrible idea. Spent most of last night between the bathroom and the couch, didn't want to disturb hubs and the pups.

I finally got smart and took some Gas-X and Tums to get the stomach cramps in control.

I did some reading and some sources suggest taking some Metamucil before eating. I am going to try that tomorrow as the diarrhea is a real bummer. I know moderation with that will be key because I'm also really scared of getting a blockage.

Also making sure to keep it down to very small meals and be sure to eat the last one by 5:30. Today just had some leftover turkey and potatoes in very small amounts three times. Tomorrow I am going to stick to some hot cereal with some brown sugar.

I've been feeling sensitive about my scars lately, so I have been avoiding looking at them. Hubs is keeping tabs, so he says it looks good. What I see is what looks like a gunshot wound and four shank wounds. Guess no more bikini contests for me. Or at least maybe I'll have a certain level of street cred at Barton Springs this summer.

My family left for the ranch today and I'm really grateful to just be home alone. It's good for me to just have my own feeling about all of this.

One of the hardest things is friends and family thinking this will be a breeze for me after what I've been through so far. So saying things like it's almost over or this is better than the bag, while well intended, are exhausting. Hence being home alone for 48 hours feeling like an absolute luxury.

My spirits are ok, and of course the Minnesota in me won't let me give up and add to that 21 years of being a Texan means you just get shit done. So I will.

Good luck to everyone who is scheduled soon! Come on back and check in.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bagface

Hi Elle- I felt really crappy for a while after my reversal, too. Imodium helped. I remember well the hot shits! As far as the scars, mine are completely gone. You have a good attitude and a great sense of humor. Best of luck!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Axl

Hi Elle ... Yes, the well-wishers with all their obvious good intentions, gotta love them, but the novelty wears off pretty quick and it is good to be in your own space with it all to yourself to just lay around and recover as you wish. It always made me laugh when someone would say "you're looking really great" then two weeks later they would say "you're looking great" ... Last time I saw you, you looked like shit, lol.

CircleC

Wow, I just had my Hartmann's reversal on Wednesday 1/17/22! So you and I are pretty darned close in recovery! I came home Monday 1/21/22.

I look forward to following your journey.

Wishing you a peaceful 48 hours alone....

AlexT

Personally, I think you should put the bikini on, snap a few photos, and let us judge your gangster wounds. We're here to help, you know.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Delsol93

Keep us posted on your journey! I wish you the best. Less than two weeks for my journey so I'm interested in how you are doing. Please take care! John

Omeathkathy
Reply to CircleC

Hello and thanks for sharing about your reversal. I am looking for people's experience with what tests they went through before the reversal and what I might possibly be expecting to experience after the reversal. I am just over 2 months into emergency Hartman's surgery. Getting used to changing the bags with more confidence. Can you tell me what tests they did prior to reversal? Did you have a barium enema? I've heard those are awful. I had necrosis so 2 weeks after the first surgery I needed a stoma reconstruction so I'm hoping that doesn't hinder the possibility of reversal down the line. Happy Holidays to you and hope you have a beautiful day.
Kathy J

Baldjohn

Nine days is fairly soon after hooking you back up; it does get better as time goes along. Soft toilet paper, barrier cream, and a sensible diet will be your allies; took several weeks before my gut got used to working the old way again. Have a day now and then where things get stirred up, but those are rarities and after all this, easy to deal with!

Congratulations on your reversal, it's been almost 9 months for me and like you feel fortunate to have that choice.

John

Mimi6
Reply to CircleC

Hi,

What is a Hartman's Reversal?

Vickie