Colostomy revision

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Pinkie pooh

I've had a colostomy for 7 yrs in July I had my hernia repaired for the second time revision of my loop colostomy to an end ostomy. I've tried everything under the sun but have not found anything to stop leakage. I irrigate every afternoon, if I'm lucky I beat it before it goes off on its own and leaks on me there are times it goes off randomly yes, leaks. Unfortunately, my ostomy is flush, my doctor said. I made it too small, duh. He told to give it till November to see if it comes out any. which it has not, so I have an appointment to see him talked about revising it, bring it out.

My question is for those who has had a revision. Did they have to move it to another location if so, did they cut down the midline again (I've had to be cut 4 times already am hoping not), could they pull it higher in the spot it's in now, how long did you have to stay in the hospital? Any other advice or suggestion that I have not thought to ask?

Thank you in advance for your replies

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Pinkie i had resection surgery a few years ago due to crohns causing scarring which caused blockages and my stoma was moved from right side to left, the surgeon started with four small cuts but ended up with full midline incision due to adhesions and scar tissue needed to be removed, as for location its the same as when it was on my right side about 2in. away from my belley button and about an inch down.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Pinkie pooh
Reply to ron in mich

Thank you for your response. Supposedly scar tissue was cut out during my 3rd surgery which was in 2021 when fixing my hernia which 3 months later it was still there so who knows if it really was done. This last surgery was done the end of July 2022 (fixing the hernia again making my ostomy an end ostomy above where my loop ostomy was) so I'm hoping that it can be revised in the same place. I have a scar on the right side from the temporary ile I had after first surgery then 1 1/2 years later I ended up with a loop colostomy hoping it to would only be temporary which became permanent, thinking back, there was always a small bulge I question my doctor about it he just kind of blew it off, but it grew over the years to half a grapefruit size. I'm guessing you have not had any problems with it being on the left. Sorry for rambling