Dealing with Possible Ileostomy Blockage: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Daria Luna

I've had my ileostomy since late October and have done well with it until a few days ago. I am noticing pressure, bloating, and mild pain off and on to the left of my belly button. When I feel around, I can detect a lump of what feels like solid stool. My first output this morning was odd, lots of foam. The next time it was the thickest I've ever had. I'm just drinking lots of liquids, massaging, pulling my knees up and rocking, and applying heat. I'm concerned I'm getting a blockage. Any further advice?

AlexT

A little Miralax

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,479 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Try drinking a bottle of Coke, original, not sugar-free, or some other really sweet liquid, juice, etc. Good luck!

Morning glory

Good advice from others. You might sip some hot tea and try a heating pad; your pulling knees and rocking side to side and gentle circular massage will be helpful. I hope this helps you.

eefyjig

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Maybe add very slow deep breaths where you push your belly out on the inhale and pull it way in on the exhale. Gently pressing your belly around your stoma can help. Stay on it with everyone else's suggestions, too, and I hope it passes fast.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
SallyK

Nothing more to add...just wanted to wish you good luck.

Daria Luna
Reply to TerryLT

I'm drinking it and I think it's helping, thank you!

TerryLT
Reply to Daria Luna

I am so glad to hear this! I don't even like Coke, but always keep a few bottles on hand, just for this reason. I don't keep them refrigerated. My theory is the room temperature liquid would not be as much of a shock to the system going in and might keep your bowel more relaxed than if it were cold. Just a theory, but it has worked for me every time.

Terry

IGGIE

Dear Daria Luna, I hope all the info is working. But if you get to the point you feel like vomiting, get off to the hospital emergency ward ASAP. I hope all goes well and that 2023 is a good year for you and all the ostomates.

IGGIE

Dear Daria Luna, I hope all the info is working. But if you get to the point you feel like vomiting, get off to the hospital emergency ward ASAP. I hope all goes well and that 2023 is a good year for you and all the ostomates.