Stoma Size Change: Normal or Unusual?

Replies
Views
Beth22

7 weeks ago, I had to have a complete redo with my ileo. I had to be moved to a different location due to retraction. I had a loop due to severe pelvic floor dysfunction (the loop caused by my inability to pass mucus), but that changed to an end with rectal stump removal. However, I haven't noticed in the past week that when I lay down and get up in the morning, my stoma becomes smaller and pulls in more, almost flush with my barrier, compared to when I am standing and sitting, where it protrudes way more. Does this happen with all stomas?

eefyjig

Hi Beth, congrats on having an end ostomy - they're so much easier to take care of. I never noticed my stoma retracting according to my position, just due to what I ate. It retracts and gets smaller when it's working hard, usually because of fiber. Maybe it does go smaller and retract in the morning - I'll have to pay attention! Do you have a Barbie butt now? How are you healing?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

I don't know about all stomas, but mine certainly gets bigger or smaller depending on the circumstances. Cold makes it small, so does compression.

Best wishes

Bill 

Beth22
Reply to eefyjig

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. No, no, Barbie butt. We kept my anus but took the rectal stump. My situation is very odd. Lol, the loop was meant to be permanent and I had a loop because I can't pass any mucus out due to pelvic floor dysfunction. But I still ended up getting mucus build-up even with a loop, and the loop retracted and would pull. So, rectal stump had to go and do an end, and yes, it is way easier to deal with an end than a loop. The loop was my first doctor's idea. The doctor I have now had to fix it all. Lol

Beth22
Reply to Bill

So, Bill, does yours ever go flush with your wafer if it's trying to push stuff out, then pop back out afterwards?

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
SallyK

Hi Beth,

My stoma also goes smaller and pulls in more at times. Hope you are healing well.

AlexT

Yep, mine goes down when I'm laying down and will pop out more when I'm standing up or sitting. I think it's pretty normal for it to fluctuate.

Beth22
Reply to AlexT

Oh, thank you, Alex T. I was thinking, not again... not another retraction...

Bill
Reply to Beth22

Hello Beth. 

Your question is not really applicable to me, as I irrigate (in the evening) and, during this process, my stoma is not visible to me as I have a waste bend over it to send the output into the irrigation sleeve.  I do not remove that bend until morning and the stoma is always extended at that time.

Best wishes

Bill

TerryLT

Hi Beth, my stoma, a permanent loop ileo, changes size all day, depending on what is going on, i.e., bigger when it's getting closer to working, smaller when working, or right after. It also gets smaller when I'm lying flat. I think it's pretty normal.

Terry

Beth22
Reply to TerryLT

Thank you, Terry. My last two were retracted, so this one I didn't know if everyone's or some people's did it... normal not normal... lol, but I am glad to see it is more normal.