Tips for a Two-Hour Direct Flight in the US

Replies
Views
Stoma.senior

Hi folks. I am flying from Portland, OR, to Las Vegas tomorrow (!). No stops. Morning flight. I'm hoping I won't need to drain on the flight. I'll be on this trip for four days.

Thanks for your input.

Frets

Bill

Hello Stoma senior.

A 2hour flight! Just think of your normal day and any two hours in it. How often do you have to cater to your stoma's needs? If you tend to your stoma before you set off, the chances are that you will not have any problems on the trip. Anyway, most planes have a toilet, so if you wear a drainable bag it should be no problem to empty it whenever you need to. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

My advice, enjoy the flight and enjoy your 4 days in Vegas.

Ben38

Chill and enjoy the flight, if you're stressing over it, that will cause output just as it would have done when you had a colon.

Enjoy your 4 days there.

I've drained my bag on flights; it's never been a problem.

Maried

If you have to empty on the plane, just do it. Then enjoy your vacation. Many people fly and empty on planes, including me. Just keep a small clean-up kit with you every time you use the bathroom.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
patrickrichardson1946

Just take a secure bag with you in your flight bag to cover all eventualities, pouch, wipes, deodorant, anything you use for a change which I have done on a plane toilet before now... Emptying pouch is nothing... Do not stress yourself.

NicGiy

Please be aware that if you have a urostomy, being at the air pressure up in the airplane tends to make my bag fill a little faster. Before a flight, I usually cut back a little bit on liquids, and I take a bottle of water with me. Just to keep from getting dry mouth, I take swallows of it, and for most short flights, I don't even have to empty. I will say lately that about a half hour before the plane's land, I go to the restroom and empty my urostomy. That way, it's empty, and I can get off the plane, go do what I need to do, get my luggage, get transportation, and all that kind of stuff without having to deal with the bag. Good luck on your flight.

Stoma.senior

Many thanks to all the replies to my request for tips on travel. They were all just what I needed. Sorry I just got around to letting you all know of my appreciation.