Opinions on Vented Ileostomy Pouches?

Replies
Views
Happytostillbehere

Been wearing an ileostomy pouch for just a few months and I was wondering if anybody has an opinion on vented pouches? Been reading about the pros and cons, mostly cons, because it's being said you can only get about maybe two, two and a half days before you have to change them because the vent clogs up. I know, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

AlexT

Yep, they clog up. Doesn't mean you have to change the bag though. I'm pretty sure I ruin mine as soon as I either shower without covering the filter or when I rinse my bag out with water when emptying. I've never worried about it. If you have ballooning issue, just open the bag and release the refreshing aroma.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

I started using the little stickers that come with the pouches to cover up the vent because I will get pancaking if I don't.

TerryLT

I found that they do clog up, but even worse, they can leak output right through the vent. This happens if your output is quite loose or watery, and you are lying down. I too, cover up the vent with a piece of waterproof tape, and just burp my pouch if necessary.

Terry

Axl

I use Braun, have never covered the vent and rarely have any issues with ballooning, but I think it is more the individual than the product.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Happytostillbehere
Reply to AlexT

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Just make sure I have that can of air freshener handy nearby.

Happytostillbehere
Reply to TerryLT

I ordered some vented pouches through my supplier and then after ordering them, I read all of the negative comments about the vented pouches. I wound up donating them to a local ostomy support group who were happy to get them.

TerryLT
Reply to Happytostillbehere

That was nice of you, but just for future reference, covering up the vent is an easy fix, if you ever wind up with more vented pouches.

Terry

Superme

I never use vented pouches. I've tried them and all they seem to do is ruin your clothes. If I feel my pouch has a bad odor, then I simply change pouches. I really don't go through many more pouches because I rarely get bad odors. I may add that Stealth Belts could hide odors, and another good thing about Stealth Belts is you could slip a deodorizer in the Stealthbelt, which works way better than a vent in a pouch.

Nicky-T
Reply to Happytostillbehere

I hear you! I'm just a regular ostomate, not an ileo, so my stool is a lot less liquid. I found that there just aren't any filters that don't plug up! But, I now use ColoMagic liner bags and they help a great deal in keeping the vent/filter from getting wet and plugging up. I have no idea how useful they'd be for an ileo, but for solid/dry stool they work great! Back in the "old days" I'd just burp the bag. Of course, stool smells like feces. What else is new?

warrior

My two cents worth about these vented pouches is, for me, they don't work, are completely useless.

I would rather have this pop valve (noted in my profile) instead of burping the bag, this valve is much better and safer. Of course, shit smells like shit as Nicky T. stated above. The bag you use will dictate whether or not you can use it. Must be a one thin liner bag, not two liner.

Thing that sends my nostrils in tizzy is that there always a stink, that makes me more self-conscious. It is disgusting. Can't escape it. Like Linus in Peanuts walking around in that dust. Yea u got sprays, and mints in the bag. After U evacuate your bag in a Drs. bathroom, public restroom, your significant other's, ain't nothing gonna help you there. Unless you are carrying a concealed fragrance. The kicker is going to your G.I. doctor. Using his potty. Ain't no sprays there either.

Exhaust fan? I pity the fool, next user.

Na_a

I use Hollister 8958 bags and don't love the vents in my pouch. These are a one-piece so I can't open them to release gas. Most recently, the vents have started leaking and I don't find that they help with ballooning (of which I get a lot). I have recently tried the Osto Ez-Vent. I have only tried one so far but currently prefer it over the built-in vent.

kclay1230
Reply to SallyK

It's always been my understanding vented pouches are more for patients with solid stools. Ileostomy patients "generally" have liquid or maybe paste-like output so this could eventually leak through the vent. I've never used so what do I know!