First Spa Day as an Ostomate: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Ice

Morning all,

Fairly new at being an ostomate. Have a urostomy since October 13th. Doing my best to not let this slow me down. Went to the grocery store my first day out of the hospital, went to New York City, Montreal, and climbed 5 mountains as well as hitting the gym 4-5 days a week. That being said, I'm planning my first trip to the spa and have to admit this is terrifying to me a bit. If I get a leak on the mountain and there is no one to see, did I really get a leak...haha. The spa day will include a massage and use of a steam room and hot and cold baths. I plan on wearing a wrap along with bringing an emergency kit in case of a leak. The spa is in Montreal about an hour and a half north of me so involves crossing the border and we will likely tour the city after so can't rush home if I have an issue. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Hairdresser

Have fun!! You seem like you covered all your bases so just go and have fun!! Enjoy!! Let us know how well it went!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

It seems like you're in good shape to be as active so soon after surgery. I think you have it together. Just relax and enjoy the day.

Yourfriend

Ice,

I am a pool fanatic and I can suggest using the Hy-Tape Zinc Oxide waterproof pink tape (latex-free).

This is how I can spend 1 hour in a heated pool and jacuzzi with peace of mind. I use the 1/2 inch.

Have a blast!

Your friend

Riva

Enjoy yourself. Remember to stay hydrated when using the steam.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ice
Reply to Yourfriend

Thanks, I went today and had no problems, but I will get the tape as I live on the lake in the summer.

Ice
Reply to Riva

I used to drink tons of water before, during, and after the spa but purposely drank very little until I got home. I drove into Montreal, Canada for the spa and did not want to have issues getting the massage, going into the baths, or driving across the border. Luckily, everything worked perfectly but still ordered the tape you recommended for the long days on the lake.