Stoma Pain: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Ritucci

I am experiencing a deep pain in and around my stoma. It feels like my stoma is being strangled. I had an ileostomy in 2016. This pain comes and goes. It is very acute and deep. It also feels as if my stoma is being strangled.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Hairdresser

I have had an ileostomy since 2001 and I have never experienced this. Have you talked to your doctor about this? If he/she doesn't have answers then find a new doctor!!! Best of luck!! Keep us posted please

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,371 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

You have been experiencing this on and off since 2016? I do get pain sometimes around my stoma, and in my case it's gas and I've come to recognize it. It's a consequence of my diet, which is high in gas-producing foods (onions, garlic, lots of veg, spices, etc.) which I'm not prepared to give up, so that's the price I pay. Do you notice that you get a lot of gas after feeling this pain?

Terry

w30bob

Hi Ritucci,

Could be a lot of things. How about giving us some more info? Specifically

When you say "around my stoma" do you mean all around your stoma equally or in a specific area near your stoma?

Why did you get an ostomy.......what was the underlying condition or issue?

Has that been corrected, or is there still active disease or a continuing condition?

Does the pain occur after you eat or at random?

What happens when the pain subsides.....do you have output or does anything else happen?

Do you have gallstones? The gallbladder is located just under your ribcage on your right side, which can be very close to where your stoma is located. The deep acute pain that comes and goes is how the pain from gallstones is described. Have you had a liver ultrasound or MR-E done recently?

Thanks,

Bob

Drnjm

Wow.... I have that too..... so crazy... I have no idea.. and my docs are not of help.. I thought I was imagining things... but I am not.. wow.. so sorry you are experiencing this too.. it sucks.. if I find anything out or get relief from mine I will make another post. Blessings

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
tess45

I experience this as well and in my case it's adhesions. There is nothing that can be done about them. I just have to live with it. I have a fair bit of adhesions throughout my abdomen, originally the reason for the ileostomy. You should see your doctor or ET nurse might be able to refer you to someone who could help, or they themselves might be able to help. I know mine is awesome and has always been able to help me.

Good luck

Terry