Should I get counseling? Very moody

Replies
Views
mooza

I am an Aussie girl. I have had my 8th and last operation in May 08. Now I am a permanent ileostomate. I am having really bad mood swings and have been told by my GP and nutritionist that I need counseling. I think they are right because my temper and mood swings are over very small issues. Has anyone had counseling and did it help? I would love someone to reply. My surgery was to take my rectum out because it was ruined from ulcerative Crohn's for 18 years. I have had a fistula. That was all my crap coming out of my belly button. I have erythema nodosum, which is like big hot red lumps all over my legs, very painful. It was said I was a textbook case for Crohn's. I have had 4 reversals, but this is the end. I am glad it's over, but my bottom is leaking junk out 5 months later. My surgeon said having Crohn's is causing delayed healing, so I don't know when this will stop. I am naturally a funny person, but I can be a bit of a horror. So counseling? Wait and hope I get better when I am healed. Mooza.

tarababy

Nicely put, Walter, and Mary, well I say go for it also. I think it might be a 'normal' reaction when you get any kind of a bag on. AND I know from experience that when you have no idea it's coming... Well, it was probably the biggest 'smack in the mouth' I have ever had. I too had to seek counseling... I CHOSE TO! And that day came when my best friend found me home alone and very drunk and very, very depressed with a knife to my wrist. Photos of my family in my lap... don't remember much of that day and don't really want to. (That is the first time I have told anyone that) I went through about 3 different counselors, via 3 different avenues before I was comfortable with the way they handled the situation. It was okay if you were sad about your life, they were confident to fix that. But when you tell them why you're there and show the bag a little, they shouldn't cringe away and pull faces every time you wanted to mention it. So what I'm saying here is, find the right one and it can be what you need. I also went on antidepressants. But I have a history with them anyway. People say you're weak if you take pills to fix your attitude... I say take and do what YOU KNOW WORKS. In the end, it was actually meeting and talking to other ostomates that got my head above water. Hence, the ex-support group...
Anyway, if you were a funny girl before this and strong and could look after yourself... well, I don't see any reason why you won't get back to it. Try what I did... went to bed one night and said "I wish I could just wake up in the morning and it will be 4 years from now and everything has settled." It seemed like a long hard road I was on, but now I think "Damn that went fast!" I have made up my mind - it's not going to win. And I'm back to my old self... Chin up girl and know we are with you here... Tara

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Whoa
Mooza
Life altering surgery, illness and emotions with very normal reactions on your part in my opinion. If you need help to sort it out, then go for it.

The honesty and sharing is amazing and inspiring from Tarababy and Skyway. I can't add to their good advice.
mooza

Thanks Tara. As you know me by now, I am a funny chick. But I didn't get Wskyways' reply. But we know each other a bit now. I don't want to get counseling, but I am taking antidepressants, waiting for them to work. I also have been working at our Ostomy Association and doing something I enjoy. Actually, I've been there for 3 years, since December 2008. Thanks for your support, guys.

tarababy

Yeah, I can agree, Mooza, and nice to see another crazy around the place.... Thanks.... Go get them, girl... once the pills kick in, you're not going to be looking back. One step at a time and the world can be yours.... Cheers.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister