A Real Pain in the Behind

Replies
Views
kenkd
Hi all!
I am a five year ostomate following treatment for life threatening colorectal cancer (when a ball sized tumor ruptured inside me).
Just got my results from my quarterly cat scan. Seems that a little swelling was detected this time on my right abdominal side, and my doctor wants blood and possibly more tests. I told him that I had experienced low back pain (location right buttock area, as the pain seems to travel to where it feels like it's on the hip). I also told him that while it (the pain) was in a new location, my recent history of a slipped disc (in the neck), and other back maladies led me to believe it was all associated. Of course doctor knows best, so he'll probably run me through a Pet scan or something.
Anyway, scoured the internet and noticed several discussions on the same problem, described exactly as I have. Some say sciatica, and others not so sure. At any rate if anyone else has experienced this phenomena I will keep you posted on my results after my tests.
Pinky
Hi Kenkd - good idea to have it checked out - one of the symptoms with my original tumor was excruciating low back pain which everyone said was sciatica. I have recently been having similar pain to what you describe too - all my surgery left my kidneys susceptible to infection so I get any pain checked out pretty frequently.

Sounds like you have a keeper in your doctor! ;
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,368 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE
Hi I agree with Pinky, it's good to get it checked out, .....I have had probs in the past with Sciatica and I have a few friends and a family member who also have sciatica trouble and it is much like what you describe....good luck with that, but be careful and take it easy in the meantime, let us know!
junopete
KENKD,

Whatever your outcome I am pulling for you, as I do all who share our digestive system problems.

Me a big tough Ex Alaska commercial fisherman. I have been brought to my knee's in tears with some of the problems posted here.Many here if not all, are a lot tougher than I would ever hope to be.

Good Luck

Rick.....
kenkd
Well, looks like cancer is back. After my recent tests my doctor has discovered cancer in the part of the rectum that was left after my emergency surgery years ago. The surgeon is confident that (as he says) 'We'll remove the cancer, and we expect you to live a long time'. he also says he can reverse my colostomy at that time (while he has me open), and claims that it is the 'good news'.

I'll be entering discussions with him on Tuesday regarding that. As for the cancer, i beat it once and plan on beating the hell out of it again. I'll be entering Cleveland Clinic on March 16th to begin that episode for seven days, and I am counting on a fairly speedy recovery (based on the last time I was opened up).

So it appears that the pain in my backside may have been associated with this new recurrence. The pain has been gone for over two weeks, but after surgery I will be out of it once again.

Big thanks to my oncologist for having raised the alert, and my surgeon for pinpointing the problem. What a team!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

good luck ken, my thoughts and prayers for a complete and speedy recovery. you have the attitude right, thats half the battle in my opinion. mmsh
lottagelady
Wishing you a very speedy recovery Ken ...

Take good care, Rach xx
gutenberg
We'll be having positive thoughts for you Ken, best of luck, Ed
beatrice
Dear Ken ... thinking of you and knowing you will pull through. And it is good to hear about docs that are on the ball.
Ebony&Ivory

Hi Kenkd

I'm coming onboard late I guess!

If you've already had your surgery I pray all went well.

Keep us posted!

E I