Pain around stoma after lifting, possible hernia? Employer not accommodating. Need advice.

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Rebekah

I have had my ileostomy since the end of last year and started back to work in February on modified duties. My employer is going against what the doctor has recommended and is trying to get me to lift 25kg. I tried some stuff Thursday and Friday of last week and this whole weekend I have been having pain around the stoma as well as some throbbing pain on the stoma (feels like it anyway). Could this be the start of a hernia? I have been taking Percocet for the pain.

My employer is not accommodating me at all and has refused to send me to be evaluated or to send in an occupational therapist with me. I do home care and it involves lots of pushing, pulling, twisting, and lifting. I am trying to get a hold of the labor board and human rights, but they are all closed today. My doctor has filled out a new functional abilities form to extend my limitations for 2 more months (nothing over 10kg), but work is refusing that.

Some history for you... I had my large bowel removed in 2004 and a J-pouch created due to severe bowel dismotility... then that started to fail. October 2010, loop ileostomy (very flush with my skin). November surgery for an obstruction and created an end ileostomy. December emergency surgery for an abscess in the J-pouch that went necrotic... almost died and of course ended up with vitamin deficiency, 2 blood transfusions, potassium deficiency, as well as pneumonia. I also went down to 90 pounds... currently up to 104 lbs.

I am to the point where I may have to quit my job due to the stress and then putting me in a position where I will hurt myself and the patient that I am caring for... any advice would be greatly appreciated... thank you, Rebecca.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

butterfly48

I too have an ileostomy - and have a health store - my husband has taken over all the heavy duties which include lifting 45 lbs of water to customers - I would never think of doing it myself - I don't want another hernia. I don't know what you want - you really have to put your health first - if you can't do the job 100% - then you need to get creative and figure out what you can do to make a living and enjoy your life. You have to remember most of us before our surgery could do a lot more than we can today. Time does heal - but let's face it, having an ileostomy is an answer to staying alive and hopefully being free of pain, it's just not a lot of fun to deal with. Maybe you could go back to school and boost your career another notch so you can move on, get a better job, and not be burdened with the lifting - you don't want another surgery at this time or ever. Good luck, Butterfly48.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lottagelady

Hi, I am sorry but it does sound as though that could be the makings of a hernia - I have a huge one, and it may only take one cough depending on the strength of your abdominal muscles anyway ..... and if you have had lots of surgery ... then

Make sure you have everything in writing that they refuse to send you to an occupational therapist etc, record all calls and conversations with dates and times - that is disgusting!! I am pretty sure that in the UK they have to use slings and hoists nowadays for patients so that there is no lifting, but am sure it would still involve some twisting and pulling whatever ....

I am so sorry this is happening to you - hope you get some joy from the Labour Board tomorrow, don't quit - surely you would have some sort of case against them? Good luck,

Rach xx

jjMonaVie

I totally agree. I live in Ontario also and have been much luckier with my recovery and employer. However, you cannot allow them to bully you into a situation that ruins your quality of life or chances for quality of life due to improvements as you gain strength. Sounds like that is what they are doing.

You may have to change/modify what you are doing to earn a living, as mentioned. Check the classifieds if you are interested in feeling better and/or an additional or new stream of income. There is information on both there. If you are interested, we can 'chat'.

So often as we get feeling better, people (employers) may forget we still have limitations. It sounds like you probably care for people who may be recovering from stoma or related surgeries...maybe there is another role for you that does not include lifting.

Past Member

Rach, you hit the nail on the head!!!! Great advice.....
I too am so-o-o sorry that you have to face this inconsideration. You're a very smart lady, you do what you have to do to keep yourself well. No job is worth your health.
Please keep us informed, okay?
Your friend, BEG

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
badancer

Rebekah, please don't do anything to hurt yourself. You are in need of some emotional support. I hope you have friends or family that you can talk with. You also need abdominal support as soon as possible, some type of binder to relieve the pressure on your abdomen. Nu-Hope makes a binder that goes around your abdomen and has an opening for the pouch. (This is not a commercial) I have used one and it helps and you feel more secure. We all want to support you but please get some medical help. You should not have to endure a pushy boss or have to endure stoma pain.

scotiaman

Hi... for what it is worth.... there is a common sense issue here that is being overlooked....and that is the patient. If you are working home care, then I expect you are working alone. As an employer, their legal responsibility is to provide a worker capable of providing a safe level of service for both client and employee. I have an ilio...and now or anytime in the future, I will not be able to lift as I did before the surgery...it would compromise the health of my ilio (and likely cause a hernia etc.) and I would not be providing the level of safety and productivity I once did. It's not my fault that UC eventually changed my abilities, but neither can I expect an employer to expect less of me...or for them to put my health or a patient's at risk.
If you are working for a private company... they generally have a job description that must be met but it's doubtful they have a contractual obligation to reassign or retrain (although they may decide to do just that for other reasons). If it is a unionized employer... then the union contract may well spell out their obligation....but my point is, you're doing the current job because you have chosen to against medical advice...and the safety issues here affect more than just your health... that has to be taken into consideration.

Rebekah

Thank you everyone for the support and advice. I have been recording everything and have also spoken to a lawyer. We do use Hoyer lifts with our patients, but there is a lot of pushing and pulling and lifting them in the sling to position them in the chair.

Rach - My biggest fear is getting a hernia. I know a lady that lives close to me and she has an ileo and has had 5 hernias, 4 of them they have repaired. They look so painful and uncomfortable.

JJMonaVie - would love to chat, but I am not a full member. You only live about an hour and a half from me.

Badancer - I do have good family and friends support, as well as from everyone on this site. I am looking into the Nu-Hope support belt, but it is expensive and I have limited income right now.

Scotiaman - It has been hard to come to terms with my limitations. It is really hard to believe that the organization that I work for can be so uncaring and unsupportive, especially since we provide care to people with disabilities. It makes me angry that they are putting me in a position where I am compromising the health and safety of our patients as well as myself.

I am so close to quitting, but I don't want to give them the satisfaction as I know that is what they want.

I will keep everyone posted. Do you think that I should have my surgeon put a permanent weight limit for lifting? Is that common?

jjMonaVie

Asking your surgeon to put a lift limit or 'no lift' is a start, however as Scotiaman pointed out, if there is not a contractual clause stating 'accommodation has to be made', then they may expect that you do the job or don't. Maybe they have no choice. Is there a function/position in your company that does not require lifting? It certainly is not a healthy situation for you. Not sure how we can chat if you are not a full member. I cannot put any contact info on here. Can you read the classifieds?

Rebekah

JJMonaVie,

I can read the classifieds but I cannot respond to it. Are you a full member? You could send me a message.

My surgeon is going to write a letter stating why I still need to be on modified for another 2 months, but he feels that because I am so tiny that this job is not for me and I need to come to terms with that and quit my job. So I guess I have a lot of thinking to do.

weewee

Go into chat and exchange email addresses. That way, you can email people. Where there is a will, there is a way.

lexus1

I too, have weight lifting issues after 3 years with ileostomy... I had to put it into my head that I am not going to throw 80-pound bags of grain around... I went from caretaking the elderly to the job I have now, which is Activities Director instead. I have fun interacting with my ladies and we still spend time together; I just don't do any heavy lifting. I also quit snowmobiling after I injured my stoma. I am happy to be alive and I still go fishing, I just had to realize I am not as physically fit as before, I will not risk a hernia! I hope you can look at yourself and see there are many other things out there to make you feel great about yourself. Good luck to you; I don't know if you want to push a lawsuit or just change your job, but please don't risk injury to yourself. Best of luck to you.

Xerxes

Rebekah,

It is so nice that your surgeon wants you to just quit your job. Well, is he/she going to pay you? I love that free advice when it is not them and it doesn't cost them.

X_

NEWLIFE 56

Hi, I will be getting an ileostomy in June. The large intestine was removed in 2006 for no reason.... diarrhea, so this is my last straw. I am 56 years old/young...
I don't know much about laws in Canada, but I'm glad you contacted a lawyer. Let them fire you, don't quit. Do the very best job you can without hurting yourself. You probably take pride in your work and give it all you can, but it sounds like for now, for your own health, you need to do what you can in a day, even though it might not be how you normally work. I don't know if you have disability in Canada, but check into it. We have Social Security Disability. Hope all goes well for you. You and others talk about hernias, how do you get them? Lifting? Thanks, Newlife 56

bikerboy

Hey little girl, that's how my hernia started but I've gone to wearing a girdle and it has made some difference. I cut a hole in one and had the edges sewn up so it wouldn't unravel. Put the bag through and I lift up to 100+ pounds with very little pain. My daughter told me about one of those pregnancy back braces and it looks like it would give you great support. Just a thought.

sherrybear

I'm sorry that your employer is so stupid, that they can't see that people like us did not ask for this problem but we have to live with it, so why can't they help us out. You should not be lifting at all. Hernias are not fun. I have had 29 operations just for hernias from lifting, bending wrong, coughing, so you can get them easily. Plus, you are too small to lift heavy patients. I don't know how old you are, but have you thought of disability? That is what I'm on for. I can't lift anything more than a gallon of milk. Those days are over for me. I'm glad to see you are talking to a lawyer also. They should know your rights. Good luck to you.