3rd-year anniversary of my ostomy surgery - Still vibrant and thriving!

Replies
Views
santabelle

Hello all my ostomates! How is everything???

I do post on a regular basis to see what everyone has written and how your lives are progressing, but I have been absent lately.

The 27th of this month will be my 3rd-year anniversary of my massive surgery, leaving behind an ileostomy which was a very traumatic day for me that I will never forget!

I find myself adjusting and coping with my ever-present "pouch". I believe all will go well because I have nerve and want to make my life a prosperous one!

I often find myself at the Walter Reed Hospital in Bethesda, MD when I take my bf there to get treatment (military).

Honestly, I have never seen so many young people with their arms, legs, ears blown off due to the course of action fighting for our country. Although we are all war veterans, I've seen it firsthand and it makes me sad to see our very young resourceful living beings being disfigured as such! We collectively have been to war and back, and that we cannot deny.

We do what we have to do to survive, we're still alive and incredible people that everyone should meet because we have soooo much to offer!!!!

Santabelle

It is very hard for me to walk into that hospital and see everything firsthand, but it makes me realize after all we are all heroes!

Santabelle

I was sliced and diced, my intestine was ripped from my body altering my "normal" life forever. However, seeing these warriors in the prime of their lives with so much adversity to follow, I believe they are my true heroes!

Primeboy

Though much is taken, much abides. (Tennyson)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,478 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Carolw

Very well said, we have a lot to be thankful for.

santabelle

We all have so much to be grateful for. After all, we're all still alive. Granted, we are still missing some body parts, but that's okay. We know how to deal with some issues, but we continue forward ever so present and in touch with ourselves and others! Signing off, my brave heroes!

tess45

Amen to that - puts it all in perspective, doesn't it?

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
sherrybear

It is very sad to see someone missing parts, God loves all of them, and also all of us with our body parts except for inside of us, but no one can see. So we are lucky, I guess, in some ways.

Past Member

I have a question. I am new to this site and hope to find an answer. I have a colostomy on the left of my belly button for 5 years. I was standing in line at a store and felt the need to flatulate, but not from the stoma - from the anus. Having the colostomy, I know this is very rare. It was an uncomfortable sensation with slight pain. Without having a moment to wonder what was going on, my drawers were completely wet and messed. What happened to me? There was no stool though. It was like wet diarrhea - like I peed myself but through my anus. Please advise as to why this happened?

santabelle

Hi Tinman,

My rectum (sphincter muscle) was removed during my surgery. I often have sensations in my rectum as if I need to go to the bathroom; these are called phantom pains because there are still a lot of nerve endings there.

My rectum has never healed since my ileostomy, and I've had two perineal debridement surgeries performed since, which were both unsuccessful. I still have an open and draining wound. I have the option of having a bone transplant and having part of my thigh removed to form a flap over the rectum, but that's on the back burner for now (no pun intended). I take an antibiotic (Keflex) which clears up the drainage.

Best of luck to you,

tess45

Hi Tinman, I have had the same thing - perm. ileo for almost a year now. I actually pass a foul-smelling mucus (yes, my rectum was removed). It only happens occasionally now, but in the beginning, it happened a fair bit and there was a lot of pain involved. Perhaps you should mention this to your doctor. Just because it was natural and no cause for concern to me does not mean that is the case for you. Better safe than sorry. Let us know what happens.

Primeboy

No disrespect intended, but here's a classic example of courage when things look hopeless: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjEcj8KpuJw Warning: Not for the faint of heart!

mooza

Wondering if the USA government looks after these war vets? Mooza, they get a gold card here, so all and any medical, no matter, is free. Also, the USA is bringing soldiers home, troops out of Iraq. So from Australia, good luck. Hope to God they are respected in those hospitals. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

santabelle

Oh dear, I seem to be missing an arm. Oh no, my other arm seems to be gone along with both my legs! Oh deary, dear, at the very least I still have my innards intact (unlike us osteomates). Only Monty Python can piece us back together again. May I suggest some crazy glue? Got any reference? SOS so we can have a good laugh!

mooza

Yeah!! Shite lol, my typing arghhhhhhhh :)))))