Reversal Surgery Update: Join me on my journey!

Replies
Views
bag_n_drag

Good evening, dear friends!

Well, it's really going to happen this time. My reversal, that is.

I will be sitting at the hospital at 6am sharp on Wednesday, Feb. 1st. Surgery is scheduled for 7:30am. Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to share a few thoughts with you on this "reversal's eve." I promise not to make this too sappy or lengthy... but, on second thought, you may want to go and grab that 2nd cup of coffee now... and, perhaps the other half of that donut, too... just in case!

When I first came upon this site, I really didn't know what to expect. Was this something like a "Friendfinder" for ostomy patients? Or an "Osto-Match.com" dating site... or a pen pal forum, or WHAT?

Intrigued by the first few posts I read; I cyber-trotted on and began to say to myself... "Oh gosh, how funny was THAT?" or "Wow, what an UPLIFTING testimony!!" or "What a challenge this person has overcome!"...

Pretty soon, a couple hours had passed and I was STILL laughing, or reading an excerpt out loud to my spouse, or wiping away tears, or doing all of these things at once!

And THAT'S when I knew.

I knew that I had found a new home. A place where I could really "unload", from time to time about absolutely anything; without fear of rejection or reprisal. A place where I could rejoice in the "small victories" with others who have had similar experiences. A place where I could "bust a bag" with laughter over the latest joke or witticism!

You have taught me so much about ACCEPTANCE and LIFE and LIVING LIFE to its fullest potential. A life not defined by the size of a bag... but by the size of a heart. Lessons that I desperately needed to learn so I would stop feeling sorry for myself and get on with the business of LIVING, too! It took a good stiff kick in the ostomy panties to get me off my duff and living again; and I thank you for being the examples that I needed to begin to pick up the paintbrushes of my own canvas and paint again... this time with renewed boldness and brighter colors! :) I am humbled by the sufferings of others here as compared to my own situation.

So I take a tiny piece of all of you with me tomorrow as I face my reversal surgery. If it works; I'll be here to share my journeys of recovery with those who choose and those who are candidates for reversal in the future. If it doesn't; I'll be here to share my journeys of recovery with a permanent ileostomy with those who will walk alongside me. At any rate, my friends, I'm afraid you're stuck with me! ;)

I'll update you as soon after 2-1 as I am able! Please keep me in your prayers!

Darla

IHateColons

Amen, sister friend. You are such a strong woman and a great inspiration to us all. I'll be thinking about you and praying for the best.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Darla, wishing you good luck and a speedy recovery. Ron in Mich.

Past Member

Darla, our prayers and positive thoughts will indeed be with you. You have been a great mentor here with your positive philosophy. And here's wishing you the speediest recovery! Best wishes, Colm

Past Member

Darla, you're in my prayers and thoughts for the operation and speedy recovery. You're just going to be fine. Look forward to seeing your blog very soon and an update... Take care, my friend Ambies...

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Quick word ..... To so many of you - friends. Due to some personal difficulties, I haven't posted much. I am watching your progress, difficulties, fears, shifts, and successes. As always, you have my greatest respect. I continue to hold each of you with loving honor in your endeavors. Thank you so much for continuing to share your lives. It helps us all to be part of this special group of people. You give even more than you know. My life is richer because you are there. Carol

Past Member

It's good to see you back, Carol. Oh, I know well we've all had our ups and downs here recently. I do hope your own woes are short-lived and you get to be a more regular visitor here once again. I'll apologize here now in advance for not posting as regularly as I'd like. I came back yesterday to find my poor old Mac laptop completely dead, and today had a diagnosis from a computer friend to say my Mac was finished. Darn! Until I'm back in full-time work again, I don't think I can afford a new one. So for now, I can blog on my old phone but can't answer forum topics. :-( So here's wishing you, Carol, and everyone here better days ahead. Take good care, Colm.

Past Member

Dandare - understand $$$.

I have a small Eee netbook - works well for me - less than $400 - still $$$ but bearable for me.

Everyone in my family is computer-oriented so I get lots of advice.

My Eee does everything I need...........

bag_n_drag

Carol - So good to hear from you, dear lady. You are consistently on my list of specials...the precious kind. :) Colm - I just got an ASUS Eee Transformer 10 tablet...I love it and it's much less $$$ than an iPad!

Past Member

Blessings always, my friend....BEG

Past Member

Thanks, ladies, for the recommendations! I really appreciate it and will look them up when I can. It's just a matter of prioritizing at the moment. But more importantly, get yourself better soon, Darla, and you too, Carol. Take good care, Colm

Yukon steve

I hope your recovery goes as well as mine and you will be back on your feet again soon.

IHateColons

Not sure if you're going to feel up to it or not, but maybe you could come to a UOAA support group meeting to let us know how your surgery went! The next meeting is February 14th at noon. It's at Professional Building 3, room 170 at noon. Professional Building 3 is located at the NW corner of 15th and Coit in Plano across from Medical Center of Plano. This will be my first meeting. They do it every 2nd Tuesday of the month at the same location. Maybe if not at this meeting, you can come to one soon. Hope all went well. Been praying for you!

MJMuraco

I hope your reversal went well. I'm going in tomorrow, Feb. 3rd, for my reversal and hernia repair. I'm nervous but hopeful it will work. I've learned so much from the people on this site. I'll post when the surgery is over and I'm strong enough. MJ

bag_n_drag

Courtney... I won't be able to come to the Feb meeting but can possibly do March. Would love to tell folks about all that has transpired. I am doing well.... Surgery was done laparoscopically and I have already had my first BM. Very weird after all this time with a bag. Thanks for the prayers. Darla

Past Member

MJ - Our very best wishes and prayers go with you for tomorrow, and may your recovery be as speedy as Darla! Darla - What wonderful news. I am truly delighted all went so well, and may your recovery continue like this. Sorry, I can only blog right now. God bless you both and take good care, Colm.

Past Member

Outstanding news buddy!!! Blessings to you throughout this journey and best wishes for the speediest of recoveries. How exciting and anxious you must be to start living the life you were meant to live. Don't forget us, we'll still always be connected.

mooza

MJ, I would like an update too, especially the hernia. Seems I'm not finding out many good stories of having a good chance of these bastards getting fixed, so I haven't been on, getting pissed off. Yeah, the reversal thing. Hope yours goes flat sticks, 'cause mine went arse up. HAHAHAHA! I think I needed that. LOL. Now, anyone with hernias, good stories pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Mine are giving me the jimmy brits (shits) big time. I just had a CT scan on Wednesday 1st, so drank that shite and had the needle too. Ya know, the one that feels like you're gonna peeeeeeeeeee or your head feels like it's going to melt. I forgot that I have had a few of these. They asked if I had a barium meal before. OMG, were they shitting me? Hell yeah, worst meal I ever had. LOL. Actually, they have come a long way. It didn't taste as bad as it used to be. P.S. I used to tip most out and say I drank it all. My luck, as the test was being done, they worked out I didn't drink it all, so let's have another one. Yuk. I always try to get out of drinking that stuff, but not always as cunning as I thought. HAHAHAHAH. Feb 10th will be my category 2 semi-urgent final day. Let the hassling begin. Hoping that it's gonna be worth it. These big kahunas are driving me batty, and now my flange thingy has begun to cut into my skin, so had a few dramas. And 4 weeks later, the wound is still healing. Don't want any more scars around that part of my belly (abdo). Harder to keep the edge of the pouch sticking and NOOOOO pastes. The easier, the better. Okay, seeyaz later xxx. Hey Carol, I must have been MIA with you too. Moozeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee has been a bit of a struggle coming back on site. Can get a bit much when your head gets all crazy with dramas. Ok, taa taaaaaaaaaaaaaaa xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Past Member

Please take care, Mooza. I can't imagine how you're managing to keep that wonderful attitude. You, like so many others here, are such an inspiration. BEG

zeppo

Darla, we are blessed to have you in our community. Now you will be an inspiration to others when they are in need mentally to cope with these demons of fear from not knowing what's coming next. There is strength in numbers; we are a mighty lot. God bless Darla.

bag_n_drag

Thank you so much, Zeppo. I really appreciate your kindness. I plan to share my recovery journey with those who care to walk along with me. I am truly blessed to have all of your support and prayers. So far, so good... My bowel has definitely woken up. I hope I can get out of the hospital by Tuesday or so. :-D. Darla

mooza

Aww, begy. :)))