Post-Op Reversal Week One: A Week of Wonders and Challenges

Replies
Views
Primeboy

Sorry for giving you the wrong impression, Loretta, but I am a bagger now. In May of 2004, I had my January 2004 ileostomy reversed. That reversal worked really great, and I had a very active life with a J-Pouch until 2010 when they found precancerous cells in my pipeline. As a consequence, they removed just about everything, leaving me with an ileostomy and an option for reversal again with a small K-pouch. I declined to have this second reversal since I knew I would need to run to the BR much too frequently. If your doctor believes you are a perfect candidate for a reversal, commit yourself completely to the process and let fear strike out. The best of times is ahead for you, Dave, Darla, and Colm. I can only add that I never stopped living a full life even with an ostomy. One of my favorite poets, William Blake, wrote about mind-forged manacles that imprison us by unnecessary restrictions we place upon ourselves. Instead, let's drink to life and live it as fully as we can. PB

bag_n_drag

Was it the poem "London" by William Blake? He has always been one of my favs, too. He, and Rainer Maria Rilke. One of my questions to self that let me know I was ready to undertake a reversal was: Could I fully accept myself again and move forward with living my fullest life should the process eventually fail? Until I could say yes to this question, I knew that I really couldn't commit fully to the reversal. Once I made peace with what happened initially and could wholeheartedly move forward from what brought me to this point, I knew that I could pour that same level of commitment into a reversal process. And, so far, I have fared better than I ever thought possible with the reversal process. Should I find myself with an ostomy in the future, I can again accept this and move forward with the same level of commitment to living life to its fullest. No guarantees... but no regrets. Thank you, PB, for your sage wisdom. :) Darla

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,504 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

You are so wise, PB. I did not know about the second operation. Blake is one of my favorites, as well. You sound like him even though you are optimistic about people's abilities to overcome and he was mostly not. I will think very seriously about what you and Darla said...about commitment to success and living life to its fullest no matter the outcome. I guess a large part of my fear is that I have not done that and the fear of never getting the chance to right that wrong scares me. I really admire both of your strengths. Hope I can be as brave and accepting. Loretta

dandare

Well said PB and Darla, what two great mentors you are. And yes, Loretta, with all these positive vibes going around, you'll do just fine. P Boy's attitude is probably one we all should seek. But remember that we're all here for you and don't be afraid to shout! God bless and take good care, Colm.

Past Member

Thank you, Dave, PB, Darla, and Colm. Your support is more helpful than you will ever know. Those positive outlooks differ so greatly from the negativity that I live with each day here with Mom. Her regret at her unfulfilled life is so toxic. Gosh, I don't want to end up like that. Darla, that verse was beautiful and is exactly how I feel. My longing to be distanced from both bags is just like those weak fountains. It falls back just as reality sets in, but my contained energy continues to dance. I just received an email from a friend who said that I should get away to that mountain town I was telling you about even for a week or two. I've been up since 5:00 a.m. trying to pave a path to do just that and schedule affordable 24/7 care for Mom. These last 3 years with my ostomy and her animosity need a smiley face like the one you drew on your old bag. Love to you all. Loretta

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Yukon steve

I hope your recovery is healing as well as mine, and you lose some of the water they pumped into you. I had the same problem with blood pressure, but mine went way high, so they started me back on my old meds to control it, and it seems to be working. Take care, Stephen.

bag_n_drag

Thanks, Stephen :) I still have some swelling... It is going down, slowly. I always have problems with low BP but that's because my adrenal gland shuts down during periods of high stress.... They should have given me steroids for a few days, not more than 100 bags of IV fluids which did not help raise the blood pressure one bit! :-0 Darla

izipizi

I am scared. I had chronic diverticulitis and had an elective laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy in Oct. 2018. I went home after 2 days. However, on post-op day 4, I developed severe pain and an anastomotic leak, peritonitis (blood and stool in my abdomen), and ended up having emergency surgery for colostomy and Hartmann's pouch.

I have developed large incisional hernias.

Now I am scheduled for reversal of colostomy but will get an ileostomy, temporarily, and will have abdominal wall reconstruction.

My fear of surgery and complications is overwhelming.

dandare

Hi there Izipizi, it's been a while since I had my reversal. But like yourself, I originally suffered complications resulting in peritonitis. I've had a successful reversal thanks to a wonderful surgeon and his team. If you can, speak with your gastroenterologist and surgeon to allay your fears. I do have several mesh repairs done to incisional hernias too. And some years down the road, I'm only showing a minor hernia due to not wearing support. I'd recommend taking things very carefully with only very light lifting for at least three months. Know that there's plenty of support here with plenty of advice to see you through. If there's anything else I can help with, please don't be afraid to ask. Stay strong, Colm

izipizi

Dandare, thank you. I am having serious issues dealing with the fear of surgery since my initial elective procedure failed, and I ended up with a colostomy. Now I am terrified of an ileostomy. They sound bad to deal with, and then that will need reversal, and I'm scared of that leaking.