Finding Clothes for Ostomy - Balancing Comfort and Concealment

Replies
Views
moonshine

I use a convex bag. My stoma maybe sticks out about an inch. However, the opening points down so the convex bag holds it up. Do you use stoma powder? I use the rubber rings, which helps with leakage. I was told that because of the ileostomy coming from the small intestine, it is full of acid and digestive enzymes, so yes, it will burn the skin. I change the bag and shower to make sure none of the output is left on your skin. The stoma powder I use is from Hollister, and it heals quickly. Do you have access to an ostomy nurse?

sthorough

There's a bag made by a company called Cymed. The bag, I think, is called MicroSkin and has a different method of attaching. I actually have some samples, but I haven't tried them yet. The flange extender part of the seals is made of the same stuff they use for sticking down IVs, I believe, so it should be a good seal. You could at least get some samples to try.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,637 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sthorough

Actually, I just read your last post again and noticed that you said your stoma is pretty flush with your skin - that's weird - ileos usually stick out quite a bit for the very reason that it keeps the fluid away from the skin. I have a colostomy that's almost entirely flush and one thing that helps me is getting the pre-cut bags. Seems like they just stick better.

ileoscohelp

I have tried the convex bag. Yes, I have tried stoma powder, but the rawness on my skin is so irritated the littlest touch burns like hell. One of the nurses from the hospital who is the head of the ostomy department came over Saturday and brought me some other products, and I have leaked through them all. No, we have not yet tried pre-cut bags. Yes, the way the doctor did this surgery, I am not happy at all, needless to say. As to the stoma comment, I will ask about the microskin. And that's what I have to use, extra tape like what they use for IVs, around the flange to hold it on a little longer. But my skin is not getting so raw. There is about a 6-inch square around my stoma that is red. Thank you for all comments and help. I am willing to try anything. They even put me on Xanax because of my nerves over this. Grrrrr.

jeffro

I wear a compression wife beater under my clothes to hide both ileostomy (I use a convex flange two-piece system) and I also suffer from gynecomastia. So it helps for both issues. Honestly, I'm not paranoid about my bag at all, I have way too many health issues to deal with, it just turned out as a bonus benefit of using the compression shirt to cover up my man boobs. I am more ashamed of my man boobs than having a new-improved butthole. The compression shirt does a great job at concealing the bag, and yet doesn't restrict any flow.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
HarleySue

Jeffro, where can I get a compression wife beater, here in Ind.? I wear a bathing suit under my clothes to help cover up my colostomy bag. Never be ashamed of any part of your body; it's who you are. I've had 14 surgeries since 1999 due to LMS muscle cancer. I have many scars; they are a part of me, my journey! Thanks for your shares.

bearhunter

Stealthbelt makes a holder that turns it sideways. Awesome product! I've only punctured it once due to a welding spark.

clairebrownedelmar
Reply to Bill

There is a company called Mersea which I use for tops.  They're comfortable and baggy and cover the stoma well.