to a stoma I am bound
and this has turned my life around.

There was a day when I would say
let's pack our bags and holiday
But with this bag stuck on my side
Imust muck around inside.

B. Withers 2013

Mrs.A

Oh Bill, life with an ostomy can help give one perspective like you said here. The human race seems not to look beyond their own doorway. We are not just flesh, we have many other things in common as well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,469 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello Mrs.A.True! we have so many things in common with every living thing. Unfortunately, many human beings have set themselves apart from other animals and think they are somehow 'better'. One of the things that does set them apart seems to be the ability to delude themselves!Best wishesBill
moonshine

We're all stuck here... get over it and live... I can do everything I did before except sh%t!

Zywie

Loved the poem, Bill. Even people without a medical problem could benefit from it if they understood. Similar to the saying "stop and smell the roses." People do take too much for granted these days.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Bill
hello moonshine, I am so pleased for you that you are able to do so much post-ostomy. I can well understand the sentiments in the 'get over it and live' philosophy and I applaud all those who are able to do just that. I am however, empathetic towards those who find themselves less fortunate and find difficulty in getting their lives back to how they would like it to be. Best wishes Bill
Bill
Hello Zywie. Thank you for your appreciation of the verse. It is always gratifying to get feedback on the rhymes as they are obviously not to everyone's taste either in literary form or in content. However, as long as there is a small audience that is appreciative, I can feel some justification in posting them. Best wishes Bill
Zywie

Actually, I've read many of your poems. I like all of them. I never commented for whatever reason. I have no idea. Keep them coming, you do have a fan club. :)

Past Member

Hi Bill, great poem, I just had to say that it really hit home, but keep in there. You can still do what you used to do, I know it is hard but keep battling and you will get there. All the best.

Beth20

Thanks, that's all so true! After having an ostomy for 3 1/2 years, myself, I have learned to really enjoy the simple things in life. Keep sharing!

Bill
Hello Zywie, Cutycall and Beth20. Thank you all so much for your comments on the verse as writing them is a somewhat isolating occupation and I never really know if they are of any interest to others unless they say. With regard to to the contents and associated emotions you will perhaps note that it was written in 2013. The process of writing things down has a somewhat cathartic effect. BY the time I have committed this sort of sentiment to paper in the form of rhyming verse -any or most of the emotions seem to get contained within the words and no longer bother me. It feels as if they are important enough to save in this way but not important enough to be affecting my life any longer than absolutely necessary. A bit like having a treasure chest of emotional jewellery that you don't really want to wear all the time but cannot quite bring yourself to get rid of completely. Best wishes Bill
blueonthetyne

Great poem, Bill. Good days and bad days, I call it. I've been too busy with life to write, but I'm gonna get back to it soon. To be honest, I have been so well, I've felt the need to write. It's what I use for therapy. Hang on in there, my friend, and if you can't do the things you did before, try new things you can.

Bill
Hello blueonthetyne. Thanks for the post. I know what you mean about using the writing as a form of therapy as it works for me very well. Indeed I have found that instead of sitting on the toilet for over an hour irrigating and resenting the waste of time. I am now utilising this time for writing more verses than ever. It has become something that I almost look forward to doing rather than resenting. Best wishes Bill