I know my stoma inside out

and can explain what it’s about.

So though the stoma’s part of me

I live my life and I am free.

I will not tell until disposed

so no one knows ‘till I disclose.

B. Withers 2013

iMacG5

Just want to thank you, Bill. I'm not a literary scholar but I recognize creativity, well-written thoughts, and enjoy the poetry. For those of us who took the time to really read your stuff, we're greatly rewarded. You said a whole lot more than one might think in this verse. Thanks for sharing your skill and wisdom. Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello iMacG5. Thank you for your post. I really appreciate the feedback on these verses from people who know about the subject matter. It's not as if there is a wider audience out there that might be interested in these sorts of things so comments from people who know and understand become that much more pertinent.I too am not a literary scholar. Indeed it was really hard for me to start writing rhyming verse partly because I was not over enthusiastic about that style of writing and partly because I was well aware that it has a limited appeal to others as well. As for the 'skill and wisdom' bit. I am still trying to acquire the former and the wisdom is what I gain from reading and listening to what others are saying about the problems they experience and manage in their day to day lives. The rhyming verses are often an attempt to capture what other people have expressed so well in their own blogs and forum discussions so most of the credit must go to them. I only try to make it rhyme!!Best wishes Bill
cancernomore

Thank you for the post. I just had mine done in September and actually feel guilty about it like I've done something wrong. This was well done!

Bill
Hello cancernomore. Thanks for the comment and appreciation of the verse. Guilt is one of those more 'interesting' emotions in that it is sometimes hard to ascertain exactly where it comes from and where it is going.The one thing we know about emotion is that it is the polar opposite of 'logic'. Hence there is often no logical explanation for guilt. Mind you, that won't stop the psychologists/psychiatrists (and others) pontificating on what they think it is and how they can 'cure' it. Like other emotions guilt is probably an 'instinctive' reaction over which we have very little control at the beginning. However, once we start using 'logic' and thinking it through the instinct gets transformed into a more rational reasoning We then begin to understand that there was nothing really to feel guilty about as there was no blame to lay and no fault to be found. These types of conditions are not usually self-made and the unfortunate consequences such as a stoma are therefore not something to be ashamed of or to feel guilty about. Sometimes logical conclusions take a bit of working at before they can overcome and neutralise negative emotions. However, with your description of yourself as having been strong and independent I feel sure that it will not take long before you are back that way again. Best wishes Bill

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Miriam

Great poem and very wise. I rarely disclose, it's private.

Bill
Hello Picasso. Thanks for letting us know that you appreciated the poem as this sort of information is important in helping me to know that there are people who still read this stuff. It's even more helpful to know that there are some folk's who actually enjoy them. Best wishes Bill